Author Topic: Layer Creator Project  (Read 39417 times)

hendie

Re: Layer Creator Project
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2008, 10:23:05 AM »
t'was but a suggestion, not a command

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2008, 10:30:02 AM »
No, i know, i know and im sorry for being gruff. But i just seems like this project is getting way more complicated then it needs to be. A suggestion is made and people jump all over the shiny object like raccoons.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2008, 10:31:17 AM »
No, i know, i know and im sorry for being gruff. But i just seems like this project is getting way more complicated then it needs to be. A suggestion is made and people jump all over the shiny object like raccoons.
Kinda like ODCL?
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

jbuzbee

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2008, 12:05:35 PM »
What's that supposed to mean??
James Buzbee
Windows 8

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2008, 12:22:23 PM »

The ONLY way to prevent users making mistakes in text/data files is to prevent users from writing/editing text/data files.
Why not write a plug-in/add-on/utility, call it whatever you will - that creates those data files for the user ? That way you can check and control each entry in the file.

I do this in my own LayerCreator.  I let the user create the layers as they normaly would (in autocad, a familiar environment) Then run the program export the layers, and bang. the text file is created based on the layers in the dwg.  No user hase to create the file manually so hopefully no err.

I certianly hope this thread doesn't go south (as it seems to be based on the last thread)  I would certianly like to gain something from this.  :-)
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2008, 01:39:29 PM »
Using ACAD to maintain the layers seems like a good idea.
That would mean you need routines to:
Import the layers from the data file
Export the layers to the data file
Clean file of layers (maybe or maybe not needed) It would just be easier to start with
an empty file or use an existing file. But this method is getting closer to the idea of using
a DWG file as the data storage & not having the text file at all.

I suppose it would be up to the end user as to how the data file is used & maintained.
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2008, 01:46:24 PM »
A suggestion is made and people jump all over the shiny object like raccoons.
:-D :-D
I am no sitting here doing raccoon impersonations and sounds.  The new book keeper girl doesn't know what to make of it.
 ;-)
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2008, 01:47:44 PM »
I personally like the idea of having a GUI interface to build the list, and having said list stored in a text file. It is both smaller and easy to manipulate without having to load AutoCAD.

However, on the other side of the coin is that users who are not smart enough to manage to write their layer data out manually and effectively, have no business manipulating layer standards anyway. IMMHO ... so if you are smart enough to devise a layer standards protocol, you should be smart enough to write out a simple text file following a predefined format.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

GDF

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2008, 02:42:55 PM »
I personally like the idea of having a GUI interface to build the list, and having said list stored in a text file. It is both smaller and easy to manipulate without having to load AutoCAD.

However, on the other side of the coin is that users who are not smart enough to manage to write their layer data out manually and effectively, have no business manipulating layer standards anyway. IMMHO ... so if you are smart enough to devise a layer standards protocol, you should be smart enough to write out a simple text file following a predefined format.

I totally agee...

Gary
Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?
BricsCAD 2020x64 Windows 10x64

KewlToyZ

« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2008, 04:50:49 PM »
I just prefer to automate as much as possible.
People are creative and in some cases that is a great thing, but everyone is different.
Remove the decision so they are concentrating on the work instead of standards is the best approach IMHO.

jbuzbee

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2008, 10:12:49 AM »
Keith, an answer please - what the **** do you mean?

There are a lot of people who've worked very hard on probably the most important advancement to AutoLISP since Vlisp.  If you're ignorant of the program why not explore the possibilities first instead of slamming it.  If your just too afraid to learn, well please keep it to yourself.

check it out:
http://opendcl.com/wordpress/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/opendcl/
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 10:34:03 AM by CAB »
James Buzbee
Windows 8

GDF

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2008, 10:20:11 AM »
James

I for one would love to learn opendcl. I have used dcl for years now. I'm just an old dog that finds it harder and harder to learn new tricks.

Gary
Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?
BricsCAD 2020x64 Windows 10x64

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2008, 10:38:49 AM »
Everyone should do there best to keep this discussion on a professional level.
It's a free country so it's OK to disagree but do so respectfully.

jbuzbee

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2008, 01:05:55 PM »
Sorry CAB - my bad.

It's just that a lot of people have been working VERY hard on this TOTALLY free open source program.  The hardest worker of all: Owen Wengerd.  He's completely re-written Chad's code over to UNICODE.  Added feature requests and produced a very stable release: 4.1.2.2.  Check out what he does for a living over at http://www.manusoft.com/Index.stm

If people really understood the possibilities of OpenDCL they would'nt be too quick to judge it.  That's why negative, off the cuff remarks really get to me.

This is a very simple example of the power of OpenDCL: It's a completely new Form based on a modeless form.  This is my template container anyone can download, use and ask me questions:

http://www.opendcl.com/forum/index.php?topic=357.0

Some pics:

Rolled up:

Rolled Down:

Here's the blank container, fill it with whatever controls you need.

http://www.opendcl.com/forum/index.php?topic=357.0

Sorry, didn't mean to make a major hijacking . . . please carry on.  :oops:
James Buzbee
Windows 8

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2008, 01:18:08 PM »
Thanks James.

I opened this thread primarily for the purpose of discussion and I'm happy with the results so far.
The OpenDCL seem to be a very powerful tool & if I wasn't so entrenched in A2K i would be using it too.

Like all powerful tools you must invest some time in learning how to use them. If you & Gary decide to
do a thread let me know & I'll follow along.