Author Topic: CDGpurge 4.0  (Read 9779 times)

pmvliet

CDGpurge 4.0
« on: September 08, 2004, 03:25:12 PM »
Hi everyone...
A while back when 4.0 was put on this site, it worked for a few people and several of us couldn't get it to work. has anyone found a solution.
I really want to be able to run it via a script, but am not having any luck as I can't even get 4.0 to work.

Any ideas?

Pieter

hyposmurf

CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 03:47:12 PM »
Yeh Ive downloaded it and the version 4 seems to missing the exe file,the version 2 just doenst work :? Starnge knone on that website has sorted it by now

hudster

• Gator
CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 04:41:05 PM »
I can't find the website for CDGpurge.  I'm using this web address http://www.caddevelopmentgroup.com/downloads.htm but Firefox returns a message saying the site cannot be found.

Am I looking in the right place. :?
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

hyposmurf

CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 05:02:18 PM »
http://www.caddepot.com/dcd1/Autodesk/Utilities/index-8.html
Thats were I found mine,but the exe file seems to be missing.Maybe someone could upload the correct software to the swamp?

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 05:23:57 PM »
I just checked both the web site and the authors e-mail address and neither one is valid.

caddevelopmentgroup.com
jroderick_at_caddevelopmentgroup.com
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

hyposmurf

CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004, 05:32:59 PM »
:shock: Wonder whats going on.

Andrew H

CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2004, 10:48:16 AM »
Here is a link (if link doesn't work, I guess you can cut and paste into your browser, if it still doesn't work, let me know and I'll post a zip to the lily pond).

http://theswamp.org/lilly.pond/roderick/cdgpurge40.zip

I was helping Joel at CDG develop this and haven't talked to him in a while, so their site may be down.

If I remember correctly, it took me a little figuring to get the install to work correctly. I had to manually delete all the CDG Purge 3.0 (if you're running an older version, then delete all those files too) and then delete the mapping in AutoCAD. I put these files in a folder I created (mine is CDG Purge 4.0, but you can make it whatever you want), then I remapped AutoCAD to that location. I think it took me a couple tries to get it work right.

Let me know if you still can't get it to work and I'll see if I can write up a 'step-by-step'.

BTW.... there is no .exe file for 4.0, just individual file for manual placement.

pmvliet

CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004, 02:20:49 PM »
Andrew, Do you know if 4.0 is supported by 2002? It works in 2004 on my machine but not 2002.

I'll keep trying.

Pieter

Andrew H

CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2004, 02:27:14 PM »
I'm not sure. I think it specifically designed for 2004-2005, but I'll check to see.

hyposmurf

CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2004, 03:03:17 PM »
Maybe Im having a brain  :fart:  but when I unzip the above zip file,according to the read me file Im missing the following files

AcadInst.exe
AcadInst.ini
AcadInst.log

Andrew H

CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2004, 03:06:23 PM »
No, you're not going crazy, those files aren't included.

I think I just reused the ones from CDG Purge 3.0, but I'm not sure (was a long time ago).

If needed, I'll e-mail them to you or post to lily pond.

hyposmurf

CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2004, 03:08:33 PM »
Well I have version 2 with the exe file would that do?If not yes please I would like the exe files.

Andrew H

CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2004, 03:11:10 PM »
I don't know if those particular files from 2.0 were modified for 3.0 (which is what 4.0 files are based on).

I'll post to lily pond then a link.

Andrew H

CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2004, 03:23:22 PM »
First, uninstall all CDG Purge files and delete all directories (C:\Program Files\CDG...)

Second, install CDG 3.0

Next, copy the following files in to a temporary directory (so to save a copy of them)
AcadInst.exe
AcadInst.ini
AcadInst.log

Next, delete all 3.0 files (including the mapping in AutoCAD), except for the three files in a different directory mentioned above.

Next, install 4.0

Next, move copied files to the 4.0 directory location.

Finally, remap AutoCAD to the latest CDG directory.

If you still can't get it to work, then keep trying. It took me several tries to figure it all out.

Andrew H

CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2004, 03:32:28 PM »
Here's a link to the thread where Joel was telling us all about it.

http://theswamp.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=25043#25043

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2004, 05:32:31 PM »
FWIW, I found that SuperPurge from Manusoft works quite well.

Andrew H

CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2004, 05:33:47 PM »
I haven't tried it yet. What are some of the features?

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2004, 05:47:16 PM »
Here's a portion of their web page at http://www.manusoft.com :

Features

With SuperPurge, any database object can be purged. In 'normal' mode, only unreferenced objects are available for selection, however the special 'hard' purge mode allows even referenced symbol table objects to be cleanly purged. A dialog interface (click here for a screen shot) sheds light on the hidden objects often wasting space in drawing files, and allows easy and customizable selection for purging. Users can purge by individual selection, wildcards, or by using saved settings. An AutoLISP interface is provided for users who wish to include SuperPurge in their own custom scripts or LISP shortcuts.

Common uses for SuperPurge include drawing file cleanup in preparation for archiving, file size reduction for bloated drawings, cleanup of third party drawing files, and using the dialog interface to visually inspect drawing file contents. Not only is SuperPurge much more powerful than the built-in PURGE command, it is also safer. SuperPurge does an exhaustive inter-object reference check before every invocation, thus ensuring that no database corruption results.

Do you have drawings with layers that won't purge? Proxy objects that won't go away? Download SuperPurge today and put it to the test!

Andrew H

CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2004, 06:10:41 PM »
wow sounds very nice, I think I'll have to give it a look. Thanks.

One Shot

CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2004, 07:58:48 PM »
Quote from: Jeff_M
Here's a portion of their web page at http://www.manusoft.com :

Features

With SuperPurge, any database object can be purged. In 'normal' mode, only unreferenced objects are available for selection, however the special 'hard' purge mode allows even referenced symbol table objects to be cleanly purged. A dialog interface (click here for a screen shot) sheds light on the hidden objects often wasting space in drawing files, and allows easy and customizable selection for purging. Users can purge by individual selection, wildcards, or by using saved settings. An AutoLISP interface is provided for users who wish to include SuperPurge in their own custom scripts or LISP shortcuts.

Common uses for SuperPurge include drawing file cleanup in preparation for archiving, file size reduction for bloated drawings, cleanup of third party drawing files, and using the dialog interface to visually inspect drawing file contents. Not only is SuperPurge much more powerful than the built-in PURGE command, it is also safer. SuperPurge does an exhaustive inter-object reference check before every invocation, thus ensuring that no database corruption results.

Do you have drawings with layers that won't purge? Proxy objects that won't go away? Download SuperPurge today and put it to the test!

Will this work ADT 2005?

hyposmurf

CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2005, 03:26:36 PM »
Back onto CDG purge.I have it installed but have not noticed so far that the file size decreases when using CDG compared to the standard purge tool in CAD 2004.On the website it says it is designed for releases up to 2000.Am I right in presuming that since release 2004 upwards Autodesk have now included a purge tool that is as good as CDG purge?Or am I still awaiting a bummer of drawing for CDG purge to unlease its potential?

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2005, 03:46:48 PM »
Hypo,

Here is an installer that I put together a while ago of CDG Purge for 2004+.

http://theswamp.org/lilly_pond/ronjonp/CDG%20PURGE%204.0.exe?nossi=1

I would recommend using Keith's endit routine. It will strip everything out of a drawing and it's fast :).

Code: [Select]
(defun C:ENDIT (/ expert cmdecho)
  (Princ "\n   ***ALL - Named Views, Layer Group Filters, Layer Property Filters,
       Layer States, Registered Applications, Pagesetups are GONE!!!***")
  (Princ "\n============================================================================")
  (Princ "\n   ***IMPORTANT - You must close drawing right now WITHOUT saving changes
       and reopen to complete purge.***")
  (Princ "\n============================================================================")
(princ)
 (setq expert (getvar "EXPERT")
cmdecho (getvar "CMDECHO")
  )
  (setvar "EXPERT" 5)
  (setvar "CMDECHO" 0)
  (command "-wblock"
  (strcat (getvar "dwgprefix") (getvar "dwgname"))
  "*"
  )
  (setvar "EXPERT" expert)
  (setvar "CMDECHO" cmdecho)
)

Ron

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

Andrew H

CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2005, 04:29:58 PM »
The CDG purge really comes alive when you have a drawing that's been touched by 5-10 our companies and their third-party software. I currently have drawings that take 5 minutes to purge, audit, and CDG purge and it drops the file size to an 8th of the original.

I had a post not too long ago about a drawing I had that contained 28,000+ errors. When I did a normal purge, audit or recover the drawing would crash, but when I used CDG purge first (to delete all the third-party crap) the drawing worked fine.

But I guess only time will tell on your own system.

hyposmurf

CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2005, 04:43:19 PM »
That link you psted with the exe attacehd sall I get is a program with a 0[1] file type?Used that routine and yes it does work,is there anything to be acreful of when using it?

MikePerry

CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2005, 05:10:58 PM »
Hi

Might want to give PurgeIDS a try -

AutoCAD Layer Filter and APP ID Purge Tool

Have a good one, Mike

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2005, 05:59:45 PM »
That link you psted with the exe attacehd sall I get is a program with a 0[1] file type?Used that routine and yes it does work,is there anything to be acreful of when using it?

I downloaded the file and it worked fine?.....as far as being careful with that routine....yes. If you use 3rd party or add-on software that uses parametric modeling or has xdata attached to objects, the connections will be lost if you run this. This is why I put the alerts in the program.

(Princ "\n   ***ALL - Named Views, Layer Group Filters, Layer Property Filters,
       Layer States, Registered Applications, Pagesetups are GONE!!!***")

Ron

Custom Build PC

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2005, 06:02:13 PM »
I currently have drawings that take 5 minutes to purge, audit, and CDG purge and it drops the file size to an 8th of the original.

Andrew,

Use endit.lsp and you won't have to wait 5 minutes.  :D

Ron

Custom Build PC

Crank

• Water Moccasin
CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2005, 01:32:39 PM »
Quote from: ronjonp
I currently have drawings that take 5 minutes to purge, audit, and CDG purge and it drops the file size to an 8th of the original.

Andrew,

Use endit.lsp and you won't have to wait 5 minutes.  :D

Ron

Sure. It's an old trick.

But you also lose information that you want to keep like GROUPs. :(
Vault Professional 2023     +     AEC Collection

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2005, 01:45:05 PM »
Crank,

Sure. It's an old trick.

But you also lose information that you want to keep like GROUPs.

I agree that information that you might need could be lost so I use it sparingly. We get our drawings from the client and 9 outta ten times they are littered with junk. I use this lisp to clean up these drawings......I like to start with a drawing that is clean  :).

Ron

BTW...I added groups to the alert that says what is deleted from the drawing. Can you think of anything else?

Custom Build PC

Andrew H

CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2005, 11:13:27 AM »
Hmmm... What's endit.lsp, that sounds really interesting.

When I get a drawing from an architect, I usually strip it of anything I don't need then turn it into an xref., so loosing groups wouldn't be that bad as long as the walls and important stuff isn't lost.

BTW... I think CDG is not developing their purge tool any longer. I think it'll eventually die out.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2005, 11:46:15 AM »
Quote from: Andrew H
Hmmm... What's endit.lsp, that sounds really interesting.

A simple little snippet I wrote many years ago. Scroll back up and check ronjonp's post of his edit.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2005, 12:50:46 PM »
When I get a drawing from an architect, I usually strip it of anything I don't need then turn it into an xref., so loosing groups wouldn't be that bad as long as the walls and important stuff isn't lost.

I do the same :) The lisp does not delete entities out of the drawing. Just all the other crap:

ALL - Named Views, Layer Group Filters, Layer Property Filters,
       Layer States, Registered Applications, Pagesetups, Groups are GONE!!

It's a simple great routine...thanks again Keith. This lisp has saved me countless numbers of hours with drawing cleanup.

Ron

Custom Build PC

Andrew H

CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2005, 01:00:25 PM »
Thanks guys.

Matersammichman

Re: CDGpurge 4.0
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2006, 08:51:35 AM »
I had heard that the source code was going to be shared.
Is this true or not?

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2006, 09:00:08 AM »
I had heard that the source code was going to be shared.
Is this true or not?

Yes it will be, just as soon as I can get off my butt and stick in the our subversion repository. Sorry, lots-O-stuff going on with me at the moment so please bear with me.

thanks
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Andrew H

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2006, 11:14:56 AM »
I'm not sure if everyone is aware, but Autodesk added a Registered Applications to the Purge command (though it's not part of the dialog box, but only through the script version of the command). Here's my button macro:
-purge;all *;n;-purge;R * n
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 11:27:20 AM by Andrew H »

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2006, 11:24:39 AM »
I use Keith's endit.lsp for super purging drawings. It is by far the fastest\simplest purging tool I've used.

Custom Build PC