Author Topic: Old Sparky and New Bearings  (Read 7033 times)

Dinosaur

Re: Old Sparky and New Bearings
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 10:11:34 AM »
The last place I was at made some similar fumbles - firing clients that gave them trouble, refusing new work if they didn't know the client, even referring them to other firms.  More than a few times they would agree to look at some guy's project and just set it aside.  A month later, the guy would call to see if it was finished only to be told they weren't going to do his job.  One can learn a lot while riding a ship all the way to bottom.  I've taken the ride 3 times now and was almost there for a 4th one.  The signs are unmistakable once you know what to look for.

dfarris75

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 10:35:15 AM »
Absolutely. That kind of business seems to have lots of that sort of thing going on. I applied for a job here in Fl. for the same kind of company. They didn't hire me. I would assume it was due to my asking price as my experience spoke for itself. I knew the level of my talent and wasn't going to accept less.

Not long after I landed in the world of civil engineering. Yay.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 09:14:11 PM »
A few weeks ago, I turned in my computer keys and closed out what has proved to be my last session of Civil 3D ....

Wow! Major change of direction there Dino. Hope you have some fun with the new job and a whole lot less stress. :)
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Dinosaur

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2008, 12:24:26 AM »
Yes Mark, but only the latest radical change over my 31 years.  My path thus far look something like this:
survey/civil > geophysical > civil > electrical > civil > electrical > civil > contract > steel > structural/civil > structural > civil > and now back to electrical
My only former employer that I know for certain is still functioning is this most recent one.  There were two others the last I knew but either under different names or in different locations.  There is no way for me to even assemble a standard resume with complete reference and contact information.  It has been a long and winding road which perhaps explains a bit why I am so twisted.
What I hope for now is what I had hoped for at the start of my last job - that I can put up with them as long as they can put up with me.  If this can go 12+ years too, I will be past the magic number and can cut things way back.  The old stresses lifted almost immediately when this unfolded a few weeks back and I am starting the new gig refreshed with a months desperately needed vacation.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 12:35:51 AM by DinØsaur »

Alan Cullen

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 04:32:28 AM »
sounds a bit like me, Dino.....

civil (started uni study) - survey (finished uni study...change of course) - civil - survey - civil (they then found out I was a surveyor....so back to the field I went. Spent 4 months of 5 years in the design office) - survey - civil. I'm still civil now, and quite happy not to be in the field anymore.

While I was surveying, I kept getting sent bush or overseas. Defo no social life in those days, untill I got sent to the Solomon Islands for 3 years. That was fun, but also very hard work.

Dinosaur

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 07:36:03 AM »
A late winter assignment drove me out of the field.  I was helping survey prospect lines for seismic oil exploration in Baggs, Wyoming - high mountain plateaus with plenty of wind driven snow ans still plenty cold in early March.  The lines were charted to go up dry creek beds that were virtually filled in with the snow.  At the end of the mile or so of staking line in waist to chest deep snow, I opted to climb out of the draw and walk back on the high ground where snow was only ankle deep.  The trick was having to actually swim the deep snow to reach the high ground.  I vowed never again and haven't except for a couple jobs that were literally "walks in the park" doing campground surveys for the state of Colorado.

Alan Cullen

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2008, 08:19:46 AM »
You can keep your snow, mate.

Never seen it...don't want to. That just scared me.

Although, I'm heading to Mexico for Xmas. I have been assured (by the bloke I'm going to stay with in Mexico) that the Mexican winter is the same as our winter...that I can handle.

Bad part...I have to fly via Tokyo (overnight), Vancouver, Mexico city, then Lazaro Cardenas. In the middle of a northern winter.

Had my mum (lives in Brisbane) getting all the jackets, scarves, beanies, gloves, etc for me. They don't exist here in Cairns (well and truly the tropics).

Maybe I will finally see snow...but defo not that deep.  :lmao: :lmao:

dgreble

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2008, 05:07:06 PM »
Dino,
Congrats to you on your new assignment!  I am honored to have been able to work with you when you were "civil".
Good luck to you on your new adventure.

Dinosaur

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2008, 07:35:54 PM »
Dino,
Congrats to you on your new assignment!  I am honored to have been able to work with you when you were "civil".
Good luck to you on your new adventure.
Aye DFG, it was a privilege working with you as well.  The last three years were not nearly as profitable - nor as much fun.  You are one of a rare breed of engineer that will actually listen and learn from someone with more age than credentials.  Pass it on, my friend.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2008, 09:25:15 PM »
Have faith, I predict the civil world will pull you back in.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Dinosaur

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2008, 10:43:20 PM »
Indeed, there is still a remote possibility of yet another abrupt change in direction, but that is dependent upon my receiving what I would consider IDEAL answers to six very important questions regarding any offer.

jpostlewait

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2008, 07:27:36 PM »
Best wishes in your new endeavor Dino.
I'm afraid business in our area at least is about to drop anchor.
Glad you found a chair before the music stopped.

Birdy

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2008, 07:57:25 PM »
<late drop>
Congratulations Stephen.  Wishing you all the best, and extreme success.

<kick-out>

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2008, 10:14:37 PM »
answers to six very important questions regarding any offer.

I want to know the questions....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Dinosaur

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2008, 11:18:10 PM »
I want to know the questions....
PM sent . . . enjoy