Author Topic: Revision Help Please  (Read 21915 times)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Re: Revision Help Please
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2008, 12:01:47 PM »
I am not making anything up ...

So you think $180,000.00 per hour is too cheap? Dude .. you seriously need to rethink your economic strategies.

Please enlighten me .. perhaps you always thought it was about something else, but my point has always been that a DWG is always infinitely more useful than a PDF or paper plot, particularly if I am being paid $180,000.00 per hour to reclaim them for the client. So please, what IS your point .. if your point is that I shouldn't be saving old revisions, then you are incorrect, because I can make $180,000.00 per hour retrieving them. That is 180,000 reasons to save them.

Now, you also have stated numerous times, not in this thread, but elsewhere ... I would provide links, but you know what I am talking about ... that by flattening a drawing you make it marginally useful. A PDF is the ultimate in flattening a drawing, is it not? As a result, a PDF is not nearly as useful as a DWG, or am I wrong again. You have stated more than once that you only save the PDFs of the projects revised drawings, or was I dreaming that too? You also said that you simply revise the drawing and don't keep the previous revisions separate, and unless I am unaware of some ecclesiastical force at work, that means you have discarded (i.e. lost, failed to maintain etc.) the previous revision.

Now, let me ask you a simple question. If you are aware of the proper storage of data for future possible application, why are you hell bent against storing previously revised DWGs for future possible application, when it has been clearly shown that not only is future application possible, but very probable.

Just face it, you have absolutely no clue how the architectural process works and as such, you would likely fail due to either wasted time recreating something that you could/should have maintained as a DWG or you will go broke because your clients will go somewhere else for their product.

While your company may be making millions on these projects, you have to keep in mind that the average price for architectural drawings is about $1.25 PSF .. that means a 2500sf home would pay roughly $3100 .. this is for the ENTIRE project, if you charge much more than that, you won't get business, if you charge less, you will go broke.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

CADaver

Re: Revision Help Please
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2008, 11:25:22 PM »
I am not making anything up ...

So you think $180,000.00 per hour is too cheap? Dude .. you seriously need to rethink your economic strategies.
$150/sheet is way too cheap, even if it takes three seconds.

Please enlighten me .. perhaps you always thought it was about something else, but my point has always been that a DWG is always infinitely more useful than a PDF or paper plot,
Just read the entire thread again, and this is the FIRST time you attempt to make that point.  Prior to this it was to back up when the client changes his mind.  I guess you realized that was insufficient and are now trying to broaden the argument.  As I said in my last post:
I am well aware of the legal requirements for the proper documentation of a project, this is not about that.
I am well aware of the proper collection, formatting and storage of data for possible future application , this is not about that.
I am well aware of the need to maintain the integrity of a projects files at completion, this is not about that.

particularly if I am being paid $180,000.00 per hour to reclaim them for the client.
See, that's the argument you've been using up to now.  And $180000 an hour for three seconds is still only $150 and still too cheap. As an Army pilot in WWII, my Dad claimed he made $150 a minute  ...  one minute a month.

So please, what IS your point ..
Made several times but you'd rather play the following sophomoric game:
if your point is that I shouldn't be saving old revisions, then you are incorrect, because I can make $180,000.00 per hour retrieving them. That is 180,000 reasons to save them.

Now, you also have stated numerous times, not in this thread, but elsewhere ... I would provide links, but you know what I am talking about ... that by flattening a drawing you make it marginally useful. A PDF is the ultimate in flattening a drawing, is it not? As a result, a PDF is not nearly as useful as a DWG, or am I wrong again. You have stated more than once that you only save the PDFs of the projects revised drawings, or was I dreaming that too? You also said that you simply revise the drawing and don't keep the previous revisions separate, and unless I am unaware of some ecclesiastical force at work, that means you have discarded (i.e. lost, failed to maintain etc.) the previous revision.

Now, let me ask you a simple question. If you are aware of the proper storage of data for future possible application, why are you hell bent against storing previously revised DWGs for future possible application, when it has been clearly shown that not only is future application possible, but very probable.
Properly collected and cataloging design data is done outside the revision process, otherwise the retrieval of the "good design" would be less effective attempting to search through hundreds of revised files looking for it.  The current model is maintained in DWG (or native) format, PDF's are merely 2D representations of that model, just as the Oracle databases are a digital representation of the the material represented by the 3D model.  Once any "good design" is properly collected cataloged in our design system, the old revision serves no useful purpose at all and is deleted.

Just face it, you have absolutely no clue how the architectural process works and as such, you would likely fail due to either wasted time recreating something that you could/should have maintained as a DWG or you will go broke because your clients will go somewhere else for their product.
I have no clue how YOUR process works and truly have no desire to find out.  If you'd rather spend your time backing up, and can make a living doing so, carry on.  I choose otherwise.  Now if you want, we can match 1040's and see who's doing better with that or we can move away from personal attacks about who's going broke.  Your choice.

While your company may be making millions on these projects, you have to keep in mind that the average price for architectural drawings is about $1.25 PSF .. that means a 2500sf home would pay roughly $3100 .. this is for the ENTIRE project, if you charge much more than that, you won't get business, if you charge less, you will go broke.
As I pointed out earlier, your industry has trained your clients in that manner.  Gee $3100 a project ... hmmm... that means it only takes a minute to do the entire project?  Cool, you have plenty of time for backing up then.