Author Topic: Pline "corner"  (Read 7692 times)

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
Pline "corner"
« on: June 04, 2008, 06:32:16 AM »
Hi All
I'm probably having a "moment"  :oops:

How do I get a pline to have a sharp edge at a corner?
All I can manage to get is like the image attached, but I want it to become more pointed.

Many thanks in advance
T :)
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Re: Pline "corner"
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 06:54:51 AM »
Maybe this?
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

craigr

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 08:00:40 AM »
If you don't mind the 2 plines becoming 1, I use the fillet w/radius set at 0.

I doubt this is the 'correct' way, but it works for me - (I haven't learned any better).

craigr

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 08:12:34 AM »
If you don't mind the 2 plines becoming 1, I use the fillet w/radius set at 0.

I doubt this is the 'correct' way, but it works for me - (I haven't learned any better).

craigr
Thanks for your reply Craig
The pline is one pline, and thats how it came out. No matter how I create it and then modify it, it seems to come out that way.
I'd tried what you suggested, I'd created a 3 sided polygon (which looks fine until I edit it into that shape) I've drawn the exact shape as 1 pline, drawn it without a width and added the width later, but to no avail. :( (I was wondering whether there was a long-forgotten, by me, system variable that controlled this)

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 08:15:44 AM »
Maybe this?

Thanks Mark, but it  doesnt make a difference of the screen. Does it change it when you plot?

craigr

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 08:15:53 AM »
No Variable that I know of.

When I have run into your problem, I make the 2 ends of the one pline come together at at 90° corner, where I can 'stretch' one pick point to the the other end's pick point. This way I get my 'pointy' corners and keep my nice looking 90° corners.

This is the best I can do. Hopefully someone else can chime in with what you are looking for.

craigr

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 08:16:47 AM »
I'm guessing it's not a continuous linetype?  If the linetype is anything other than continuous, the corners won't "close".

craigr

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 08:18:39 AM »
I'm guessing it's not a continuous linetype?  If the linetype is anything other than continuous, the corners won't "close".

I forgot about the 'close' option in 'plineedit'. This works sometimes, though I am not sure why it doesn't work all of the time.

craigr

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 08:21:36 AM »

I forgot about the 'close' option in 'plineedit'. This works sometimes, though I am not sure why it doesn't work all of the time.

craigr

The close option is different.  That makes the polyline a closed object.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 08:26:24 AM »
Matt, thanks, but still no-go. Its drawn on layer 0, with a continuous linetype.

I've just been "playing" some more, and it looks like I can stretch a 3-sided polygon so far until it does what is shown in my screen-shot. Looks like i need a work-around... :( unless someone else has any ideas

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 08:31:16 AM »
Matt, thanks, but still no-go. Its drawn on layer 0, with a continuous linetype.

I've just been "playing" some more, and it looks like I can stretch a 3-sided polygon so far until it does what is shown in my screen-shot. Looks like i need a work-around... :( unless someone else has any ideas

Is the pline's linetype BYLAYER or is it set to something else?  Layer 0 can have a linetype of Continuous but it the pline's linetype isn't set to BYLAYER you end up with what you're seeing.

Can you post a small sample drawing?

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 08:38:00 AM »
No problems Matt.
This is the only thing in this drawing.
If you stretch the triangle on the left upwards, you will see the point disappear, and if you stretch the other one down, the point reappears.
Thanks
T :)

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 08:48:03 AM »
Found this in the autocad help guide

Typically, the intersections of adjacent wide polyline segments are beveled. No beveling is performed for nontangent arc segments or very acute angles

Doing this I can replicate your problem, but there is no solution to it.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 08:51:27 AM »
Found this in the autocad help guide

Typically, the intersections of adjacent wide polyline segments are beveled. No beveling is performed for nontangent arc segments or very acute angles

Doing this I can replicate your problem, but there is no solution to it.
I stretched a corner of the triangle to about 28 degrees... I wouldn't really consider that to be acute.

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 08:51:46 AM »
What does AutoCAD have against beauty? Oh... you said "very acute", nm.
CAD Tech