Author Topic: Modelling Terrain in Civil 3D  (Read 4517 times)

tabei

Modelling Terrain in Civil 3D
« on: June 03, 2008, 11:59:48 AM »
I am wondering if anyone has any ideas about efficient ways to model free form landscapes? My application is golf course design.  Currently, we work with accurate topo maps, but for features that we are creating such as a green or a bunker, we currently redraw contours (by hand) to represent mounds, depressions etc.  While it works well, it is very time consuming.  What I envision is a way to take polylines (or feature lines) etc, and be able to visually tug/ pull/ push them them to model the surface, and then be able to generate the redrawn contours based on that model.  The closest I have come to finding what I am trying to describe is is sketchup, and maybe I just need to spend more time working in that, but the sandbox tools seem pretty rudimentary. to be able to get the result I am looking for.

Re: Modelling Terrain in Civil 3D
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 12:03:50 PM »
Just wait for Michael (the resident C3D guru).   :-)

I'm sure he'll be here shortly!

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 12:17:24 PM »
I am wondering if anyone has any ideas about efficient ways to model free form landscapes? My application is golf course design.  Currently, we work with accurate topo maps, but for features that we are creating such as a green or a bunker, we currently redraw contours (by hand) to represent mounds, depressions etc.  While it works well, it is very time consuming.  What I envision is a way to take polylines (or feature lines) etc, and be able to visually tug/ pull/ push them them to model the surface, and then be able to generate the redrawn contours based on that model.  The closest I have come to finding what I am trying to describe is is sketchup, and maybe I just need to spend more time working in that, but the sandbox tools seem pretty rudimentary. to be able to get the result I am looking for.

Tabei,

Cat are you in luck.

The process would be best suited to feature lines, and grading objects.
I have seen your end result (I think through other queries about said process), and this is a viable route.

The feature lines will grow to be one of your best friends.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Dinosaur

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 12:18:44 PM »

harrumph

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 01:01:55 PM »

harrumph

:-D  :lmao:

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 01:04:20 PM »
Careful there Matt.  You DO NOT want to see Dino's twisted knickers.

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 01:05:19 PM »
Careful there Matt.  You DO NOT want to see Dino's twisted knickers.
You're right.... I DON'T!!   :-)