Author Topic: C3D 2008 or AutoCAD Problem  (Read 2578 times)

surveyor_randy

C3D 2008 or AutoCAD Problem
« on: May 22, 2008, 07:07:50 PM »
Grrrrrrrrr.....  I am at the office late, and pissed  :realmad:, as usual.  I am doing a proposal for the County and they were nice enough to give me their entire GIS system in ERSI shp files.  So I am importing them through map and getting all of that parcel information goodness that us surveyors crave so much!

Here is the problem, all of the shape colors are set to 'white' not 'bylayer'.  I am trying to change object (ROW, sewer lines, water lines, etc.) to different colors so that they will stand out a little more.  However, when you try to mass select 100000 mpolylines, autocad chugs along for a little bit and then the program just shuts down.  Does anyone know a different way to change the colors of the objects without selecting them all and then changing the color.  Is there a map option for setting a shapes color on import.  I haven't tried the magic reboot yet.

To quote Avatech when someone calls them about C3D problems: "Did you reboot?  Because you should be rebooting at least 5 times a day!"

Now might be a good time to take up smoking again!

scout

Re: C3D 2008 or AutoCAD Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 07:25:48 PM »
Does anyone know a different way to change the colors of the objects without selecting them all and then changing the color.  Is there a map option for setting a shapes color on import.  I haven't tried the magic reboot yet.

I _think_ you can query and change that property. Let me look...

scout

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 07:33:37 PM »

Here is the problem, all of the shape colors are set to 'white' not 'bylayer'.  I am trying to change object (ROW, sewer lines, water lines, etc.) to different colors so that they will stand out a little more.  However, when you try to mass select 100000 mpolylines, autocad

Ok, weird. I just imported some shp and they came in by layer. Since the ESRI shp format doesn't really call for layer, I am not sure how they are coming in white. Are you using Map>Tools>Import and importing the shp, or doing something else?

In the meantime I am messing with the layer property change on query. Someone else in here might know it faster, though.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 07:33:52 PM »
Randy

It would suggest your best practice would be as follows.

Open New MAP, or C3D file. If using MAP set your coordinate system with the MAP Tools.
Set your Scale and coordinate system.
Then MAP>>Import and point to the ERSI data.
You may want to experiment with some of the settings for DATA creation on import.

Exit and Save the File

Then Attach that file to a NEW file. MAP>>Define Modify Drawing Set>> Attach
Define an ALL Location Condition in your Query definition
Then set up a(n) Alter Properties Query using a Range Table that uses the Range of information as Object Data to Move the objects onto another Layer, or different color as defined in the range table. i.e. Layer Name = Object Data Information

I am happy to assist with this. Care to post or transmit the file to me?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 07:40:58 PM »
When importing SHP files, it is important that you have the complete set of .shp, .shx, and .dbf in the same folder.

The link to the data stored in the .dbf file can be maintained during the import operation, or the data can be imported into object data in the AutoCAD Map 3D drawing.

SHP files don't include color information. Imported objects will have the same color as the AutoCAD Map 3D layer.

Point symbols, line styles, and fill styles are not maintained when importing from SHP files. Before the translation, put these items into one or more fields in the associated database so you can reassign the display properties of the graphical objects using these values in the drawing file.

Attach the drawing:

Start a new work session in Autodesk Map.
On the Map menu, click Tools > Import.
In the Import dialog box, select ESRI Shape and browse to the shape file you want to import, and then click OK.
In the Import dialog box, click the data field.
In the Attribute Data dialog box, select the Create Object Data from Attribute Data option and select the fields you want to write to the object data table.
Click OK to close all dialog boxes.
After the shape file has been imported, save and close the drawing.
Start a new work session in Autodesk Map.
To attach the drawing you just saved, right-click Drawings in the Project Workspace and click Attach. Browse to the drawing you want to attach. Make sure you have set up a drive alias to access the drive where the drawing is saved.
Define a new query:

In the Define Query dialog box, click Location.
Select the All option (default) and click OK.
Click Alter Properties.
Select Text, and then select Data.
In the Define Text dialog box, make sure the Object Data option is selected and select the object data field you want to create as text. Click OK twice to return to the Define Query dialog box.
Make sure the Draw option is selected, and then click Execute Query.
Save the drawing.
Note: In Autodesk Map 5, you have the option to create text from point data when importing shape files. See the related solution for more information.

This process will also work for you I thnk:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=2893095&linkID=9240857
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 07:58:57 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

surveyor_randy

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 02:51:20 PM »

Ok, weird. I just imported some shp and they came in by layer. Since the ESRI shp format doesn't really call for layer, I am not sure how they are coming in white. Are you using Map>Tools>Import and importing the shp, or doing something else?

In the meantime I am messing with the layer property change on query. Someone else in here might know it faster, though.

Thanks for looking into this Dana, I appreciate it.  I don't think there is a way to change the color using a query.  Please let me know if I am wrong.

surveyor_randy

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 02:54:09 PM »
When importing SHP files, it is important that you have the complete set of .shp, .shx, and .dbf in the same folder.

I have all of those files and more.  I have .dbf, .idx, .sbn, .shp and .shx files.

I will attempt your solution and see if it gets me anywhere.  I'm still not sure that you can change color with a query.  Thanks for the information Michael.

surveyor_randy

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 03:04:04 PM »
Okay, upon further investigation I found some information on Autodesks website.  It seems that in Map 3D 2008 they changed the import engine from using FME from Safe Software to the FDO provider for the shapefiles.  This resulted in two known bugs that have been fixed in the 2009 release.

The 2 known bugs are:
1. Imported items are given an object color of "white"
2. The word "Default" is used as a prefix to the imported layer name.

Someone said that you can use the old 'mapimport4' command to bring them in, but it doesn't import any attributes associated with the shape file.

On a side note, I never really played with Map too much but have been starting to use it more and more.  I can't believe I've been ignoring it for all these years.

Thanks again for the help Dana and Michael!  :-)

sinc

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 03:19:52 PM »
I think you are starting to understand why many of us are so disappointed that Civil-3D is incompatible with Map, despite being built inside it...   :-P

Cathy

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 05:22:58 PM »
I don't think there is a way to change the color using a query.  Please let me know if I am wrong.

In the define query dialog, punch the button towards the right that says "Alter Properties".  That brings up the attached dialog.  Tick color, punch the values button to select a color, punch the Add button to move the alteration to the top window, then OK and run your query. Note that the preview will still show white, but when you draw you'll get color. 

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 06:08:06 PM »
Thanks for picking that up Cathy

The tool he probably want to use is that range table, so that he can match the object properties to desired layer or color.
That way all layer or color changes can happen in one query operation

And Yes THIS is exactly why I have been vetching for FIVE years about MAP inside C3D NOT being able to query objects made be C3D even though MAP sits right there inside C3D :ugly:

Crazy that users would want or desire that BASIC level of product interoperability.  IF MAP is inside C3D every object made by C3D should enable the user to query those objects with MAP. 
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 06:25:47 PM »
Randy if you sent me your data, and what you wanted to do with it, I could send a step by step to you.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell