Author Topic: land desktop 2008 'multiple' session issues HELP HELP HELP  (Read 5075 times)

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
Re: land desktop 2008 'multiple' session issues HELP HELP HELP
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 09:06:26 AM »
Quote from: Keith
Do you use a network licensed version?
If Yes Then
Do you have enough free licenses to open LDT2008 (each session requires a different license)

Not true.
Identical serial number/hostname combinations only pull a single license, no matter how many "sessions" are open.

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 09:14:51 AM »
If Yes Then
Do you have enough free licenses to open LDT2008 (each session requires a different license)

Not true.
Identical serial number/hostname combinations only pull a single license, no matter how many "sessions" are open.

i was wondering about that.
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 09:20:47 AM »
If Yes Then

Not true.
Well, if that is the case, then the company I just visited on Friday (300 seats) had better get on the phone with their reseller and find out what the heck is going on. They are having issues with multiple licenses being used on the same computer, with multiple applications open. They are using 2006 ...
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 10:59:42 AM »
Have to wonder did they botch the admin image? Or did autodesk, send them the wrong feature codes for the license server? Some one should run a diagnostic at the server with the FLEX tools and see how many of what product IT thinks it has to offer. (It does happen, more than you might think)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 11:13:27 AM »
Well, if that is the case, then the company I just visited on Friday (300 seats) had better get on the phone with their reseller and find out what the heck is going on. They are having issues with multiple licenses being used on the same computer, with multiple applications open. They are using 2006 ...

Actually, I used the wrong terminology. It's not the S/N, it's the feature code in the license file. Because actually, two different products can share the same S/N.

So it's feature code/hostname combinations.

We had an issue with this and a reporting tool we were using. The reporting tool showed that multiple licenses were being pulled by the same user on the same machine for the same product - which we found was impossible (or at least it was not designed to do that...) -- we put the blame on the reporting tool since we could never catch it "in the act" of doing this - despite many tests....

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 11:25:31 AM »
Actually, I used the wrong terminology. It's not the S/N, it's the feature code in the license file. Because actually, two different products can share the same S/N.

So it's feature code/hostname combinations.

We had an issue with this and a reporting tool we were using. The reporting tool showed that multiple licenses were being pulled by the same user on the same machine for the same product - which we found was impossible (or at least it was not designed to do that...) -- we put the blame on the reporting tool since we could never catch it "in the act" of doing this - despite many tests....
I don't know what other software they are using, but they are using 2006 C3D .. so are you saying there is a potential bug in the FLEX license server or is it by design? My initial recommendation to them was to utilize a single instance. That would still be my recommendation, but the issue does need to be addressed.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 11:31:02 AM »
Kieth I am with you; If they are using Land Desktop, they should only be launching ONE (single) instance of the application.  Otherwise I suspect they are actually using Land Enabled MAP (ACAD), and IF that is the case they are using MAP poorly, and should also only NEED one instance of MAP to work on every drawing they have on the server simultaneously.

Not that there may not be an issue with the License Server, it's feature codes, and wether it is releasing the licences correctly. There might be, howeve this seems to be more a problem with PROCESS than the program.  I am happy to assist them harness the power of MAP, should they decide to employ the tool properly.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 09:23:32 PM »
I don't know what other software they are using, but they are using 2006 C3D .. so are you saying there is a potential bug in the FLEX license server or is it by design? My initial recommendation to them was to utilize a single instance. That would still be my recommendation, but the issue does need to be addressed.

All I am saying is that as an example, if a user working on machine "CAD-STA1" opens LDT 2006 and then opens another LDT 2006 and then opens 6 sessions of Land Enabled Map 2006 - only one (1) license will be checked out of the LM. And if I recall correctly, LDT was included in the C3D license in the 2006 release, so that same user could open multiple sessions of C3D also - still pulling a single license from the LM.

Yes this is by design.