Author Topic: land desktop 2008 'multiple' session issues HELP HELP HELP  (Read 5076 times)

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
ok, so i've noticed in 2008 (finally made the switch) that if you have more than one session open (or even worse, the "drawing1.dwg" is open because you opened a session of cad then found your file with "_open") it will give you this error if you try and execute any land desktop commands.

Command:
    Autodesk Land Desktop cannot initialize when
there is more than one drawing open.  Please close all but one
drawing before continuing.

is there a way around this? this is seriously the DUMBEST thing i believe i've ever seem come from autodesk. i only hope this is just some setvar.
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

Gliderider

Re: land desktop 2008 'multiple' session issues HELP HELP HELP
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 09:37:45 AM »
I believe that, as in prior versions of LDD, you can only have one dwg open to use LDD (as you've discovered). If you use Civil 3D, you can have multiple dwgs open.

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 09:47:42 AM »
I believe that, as in prior versions of LDD, you can only have one dwg open to use LDD (as you've discovered). If you use Civil 3D, you can have multiple dwgs open.

see, that's just it. in 06 i could have 10 sessions open and they all would allow me to execute ldd commands.
Dropbox

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 11:02:24 AM »
Make sure you use the OPEN command, not .OPEN. Open has been redefined to use AECOPEN, using this ensures that not more than one drawing is open in a session and avoids that problem.

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 01:17:19 PM »
see, that's just it. in 06 i could have 10 sessions open and they all would allow me to execute ldd commands.

Are you sure you don't mean 2007 LDT?

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 01:26:44 PM »

Are you sure you don't mean 2007 LDT?

quite. we are in the process of switching from land desktop 2006 to land desktop 2008.
Dropbox

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 03:38:43 PM »
I have 4 sessions open right now and have no problem using LDT commands in any of them. Have you applied the Service Pack(s) for 2008?

Also, do not use Windows Explorer to locate the file and dbl. click from there. This used to work, sort of, for some users, but doesn't at all AFAIK now.

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 08:18:10 AM »
quite. we are in the process of switching from land desktop 2006 to land desktop 2008.

My mistake. I was thinking multiple "drawings", but you said multiple "sessions"....
I'm running LDC2008 and I can open multiple sessions and execute LDT commands in each. Nothing has changed in that respect.

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 08:22:04 AM »

My mistake. I was thinking multiple "drawings", but you said multiple "sessions"....
I'm running LDC2008 and I can open multiple sessions and execute LDT commands in each. Nothing has changed in that respect.

odd, i wonder why i'm getting that retarded error message. time to do a little digging. thanks guys.
Dropbox

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 09:46:56 AM »
Quote from: alanjt
odd, i wonder why i'm getting that retarded error message. time to do a little digging. thanks guys.

So when you get that message, does SDI = 1?

I see that error when you start LEM and then you try and open a drawing that contains LDT objects. LDT tries to start, but can't because SDI=0.

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 09:35:53 PM »
has anyone had any success with setting land desktop 2008 to open separate (multiple) sessions of autocad when you double click on a file in explorer. i was able to set it in file types (options in windows explorer) and it works. problem is, if i just open 08, it resets everything back to the dwglauncher (or if i open 06, it resets to that). is there a way to completely get rid of the dwg launcher or something?
Dropbox

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 11:59:40 PM »
Without knowing exactly your setup, I can offer a few items that you might check ...

Do you use a network licensed version?
If Yes Then
Do you have enough free licenses to open LDT2008 (each session requires a different license)
If Yes, then I can't offer any more guidance except to open the drawings in MDI mode (single application multiple documents SDI = 0)

Is your license stand alone? If so, you only have a single license ... LDD may report the license is in use.

FYI ... Whatever version of AutoCAD is the last version to open a drawing, is the default version used to open all drawings by double clicking on the drawing file. This happens because AutoCAD sets the CurVer setting in the registry to the current version running, it could be AutoCAD.Application.15 or AutoCAD.Application.16 ... etc ... and it is referenced in the AutoCAD.Application key .. as such a double click reacts with the AutoCAD.Application key and not the other versions. Thus it could be pointing to the last version used successfully.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 12:17:33 AM »
Without knowing exactly your setup, I can offer a few items that you might check ...

Do you use a network licensed version?
If Yes Then
Do you have enough free licenses to open LDT2008 (each session requires a different license)
If Yes, then I can't offer any more guidance except to open the drawings in MDI mode (single application multiple documents SDI = 0)

Is your license stand alone? If so, you only have a single license ... LDD may report the license is in use.

FYI ... Whatever version of AutoCAD is the last version to open a drawing, is the default version used to open all drawings by double clicking on the drawing file. This happens because AutoCAD sets the CurVer setting in the registry to the current version running, it could be AutoCAD.Application.15 or AutoCAD.Application.16 ... etc ... and it is referenced in the AutoCAD.Application key .. as such a double click reacts with the AutoCAD.Application key and not the other versions. Thus it could be pointing to the last version used successfully.

it's on a network. there must be plenty of licenses because we could all open multiple sessions (and still can) in 06 version. as far as setting back to the default version for startup, the problem is that it doesn't set back to acad.exe (version 2008) it sets to the dwg launcher. is it possible to get rid of this or have it not default to it?
Dropbox

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 10:15:07 AM »
First and foremost users of Land Desktop should NEVER open a DWG using any other method than the Project Navigator due to the project database. I shudder to think of all the bad (nested) project paths on your system. 
You can configure separate Icons on your desktop to write to different TEMP fie locations to work around this issue.
Also why do you need to have multiple drawings open at the same time? If not performing actual Land Desktop tasks; you could or might consider using MAP to work on the data from multiple files using a Query process and negate the need, to have multiple files open entirely.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 06:06:36 PM »
First and foremost users of Land Desktop should NEVER open a DWG using any other method than the Project Navigator due to the project database. I shudder to think of all the bad (nested) project paths on your system. 
You can configure separate Icons on your desktop to write to different TEMP fie locations to work around this issue.
Also why do you need to have multiple drawings open at the same time? If not performing actual Land Desktop tasks; you could or might consider using MAP to work on the data from multiple files using a Query process and negate the need, to have multiple files open entirely.

i would agree with you there, but we did it that way (we have a interface program that we access our files from the server, it checks the files out so only one person can edit them) for 2006 and 2005 and i'm quite certain they were doing it for 2003 (before i started working there) and before that. i have never noticed problems with the project paths (nested, etc.).

there are always instances where you need multiple files open (copy files from one to the other, check dimesions, etc. that require the ldd commands).
Dropbox