Author Topic: Chain actions?  (Read 6184 times)

daron

Chain actions?
« on: April 04, 2008, 05:04:14 PM »
Does anyone know anything about what the purpose of this is? How does it work? I get some really odd results with it.

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
Re: Chain actions?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 05:52:24 PM »
Does anyone know anything about what the purpose of this is? How does it work? I get some really odd results with it.

I use it for multiple stretch actions.  Lets say you have some lines...  you want to stretch some of those line to the left and at the same time you want to stretch some of those lines up but only half the distance of the the one to the left.

Sooooo...

You add a linear parm. to each set.  The upper set you will turn off grips and turn on chain action...and set the distance multiplier to 0.5
The left set set the grip to 1
Now you add a stretch action the the upper lines...
Next add a stretch action to the left line, after selecting those lines with the bounding box select the upper stretch and the upper linear parm.
Save the block.

when you insert that block and use the left grip stretch, the upper line will now stretch 1/2 the distance upward.

I use it for urethane headpieces.  I have the insertion point in the center and when I stretch one side, the other side stretches in the opposite direction.

I believe that the main purpose for it is so that you can do multiple actions at once, based from one single action... Clear as mud??

Here is an example of a head piece.

ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

Josh Nieman

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 06:01:21 PM »
I used it to chain the rotation of blocks on my dynamic retention wall block exercise.

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=21915.0

Allows for rotating pieces with different base points using only one grip.

daron

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 02:37:09 PM »
 Interesting. Thanks.

Kate M

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 11:17:52 PM »
I use it for multiple stretch actions.  Lets say you have some lines...  you want to stretch some of those line to the left and at the same time you want to stretch some of those lines up but only half the distance of the the one to the left.
Seems like overkill. Can't you use distance multipliers & angle offets to get the same thing?

I believe that the main purpose for it is so that you can do multiple actions at once, based from one single action... Clear as mud??
I tend to think of it as the block version of a reactor. You have one parameter that you want to react baed on changes to another parameter, so you "chain" them together.

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 07:34:06 AM »
Seems like overkill. Can't you use distance multipliers & angle offets to get the same thing?
Yes!

Quote from: TimSpangler
You add a linear parm. to each set.  The upper set you will turn off grips and turn on chain action...and set the distance multiplier to 0.5

Quote from: KateM
I tend to think of it as the block version of a reactor. You have one parameter that you want to react baed on changes to another parameter, so you "chain" them together.

Isn't that what I said??
you can do multiple actions at once, based from one single action...

[side note]
Kate, are you going to attend the AutoDESK tour in Tyson's Corner on the 24th?
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

daron

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 08:46:45 AM »
Okay, while my reply yesterday was simple and mostly a thank you for replying; I had a serious headache all day and the phrase "clear as mud" was all I was seeing. Here's the reason I asked:
I have a block with a bunch of text. I want to be able to place a distance and scale action on each one by their insertion point; then I want to chain them together with one distance parameter and action to increase the size of all of them by their individual insertion points all at once. When I tried this, I was getting all kinds of things happening. For instance, changing it once scales them all at once by a single point, then changing that same point again, caused them to move together, then again they would be entirely reversed or all on top of each other. I was cryptic in my question so I could figure out if I didn't understand chain actions properly. I still don't get it as for what Kate said, I was kind of thinking the same thing, which makes the chain action useless.

Kate M

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 05:33:16 PM »
Lessee if I can explain this...(working from memory here, so excuse me if I make mistakes)

Let's say you have three pieces of text. I would use three linear parameters, two with "chain actions" on and grips off. Then assign your move/scale actions to each of the three parameters. I think that'll do it.

Although I gotta say, this sounds like a case for an annotative block, if you're headed that way. :-)

Kate M

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 05:37:01 PM »
Yes!

Not quite...I would just use one parameter, and have two actions associated with it, one with a different angle offset & multiplier.

Quote from: KateM

Isn't that what I said??
you can do multiple actions at once, based from one single action...
Sure, I just know that sometimes I have to hear something three different ways before it makes sense, so I offered another translation. :-)

[side note]
Kate, are you going to attend the AutoDESK tour in Tyson's Corner on the 24th?
Yep, that's the plan. I'm not sure what role I'll have yet, but I'll be there. PM me if you want to meet up.

daron

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 05:52:14 PM »
Lessee if I can explain this...(working from memory here, so excuse me if I make mistakes)

Let's say you have three pieces of text. I would use three linear parameters, two with "chain actions" on and grips off. Then assign your move/scale actions to each of the three parameters. I think that'll do it.

Although I gotta say, this sounds like a case for an annotative block, if you're headed that way. :-)
Exactly, except that I'm the only one with that capability and need to ensure others who can't can still view my drawings properly.

daron

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 05:53:31 PM »
BTW, I'll try the way you suggested. I didn't even think of that.