Author Topic: Survey Extensions - Define Traverse from Figure  (Read 1604 times)

surveyor_randy

Survey Extensions - Define Traverse from Figure
« on: April 24, 2008, 10:34:45 AM »
I am once again playing around with the survey functionality of C3D.  We spent all of this money on the product and every few months, I start get a wild bug up my a** and decide to try and give the survey portion a go again.  I have installed the survey extension pack and created a  practice traverse.  I tried to define a traverse from a figure and it doesn't fill in any of the angles or distances.  Is this routine buggy or am I doing something wrong.  Here is my procedure:

(see below for a picture of the traverse - purple line is known good line, cyan is the survey figure)
This is a basic traverse with points 13 & 14 being known good points and points 15 through 17 being uncertain.  Point 18 is the final forsight back to point 14.

I create my network, then I add the known good points to the network as control points (in this instance, points 13 and 14) and all other points as non-control points (point 15 through 18).  Point 18 is the field measured shot back to point 14.

I insert the network into the drawing then drawing my pline.  Starting at point 14 and ending at point 17.  I then create a figure from this pline.  Next, I select to define traverse stations from figure.  Initial Station set to 14, initial backsight 13 and final foresight as 18.

I end up with a traverse listing all of the stations but not populating any of the angles or distances.  So basically, I am getting something useless that cannot be adjusted.

Basically, I want to adjust this traverse to close back to point 14.  Could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong.  Thank you.

sinc

Re: Survey Extensions - Define Traverse from Figure
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 01:26:53 PM »
I think C3D will only adjust traverses if you feed it the raw data from a FBK file.  But I haven't actually used it - this is functionality that we do in TGO whenever it comes up.  We ignore much of the survey functionality in C3D because it has no knowledge of GPS, which pretty much ruins it for us.

surveyor_randy

Re: Survey Extensions - Define Traverse from Figure
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 02:02:01 PM »
If that is true, that it will only adjust traverses from an .FBK file, that is pretty damn stupid and just another reason why I am really starting to not like Autodesk.  We are in the same boat as you guys with our GPS work.  As it stands now, we are using Terramodel and Total Control to adjust our traverses and GPS networks, then bringing the points into C3D.

I was really hoping this new survey extension would at least allow me to define a figure, tell it what points are static and let it adjust the rest of the figure.  That's what the readme for the extension said it would do anyway.