Author Topic: Problems keeping drawings from changing?  (Read 10436 times)

mikeg

Problems keeping drawings from changing?
« on: April 22, 2008, 02:03:53 PM »
We are experiencing a bit of a problem with some of our drawings. People go in to change a few things and they seem to turn on or off layers and then reprint it and stuff is supprisingly missing or added! (shocking I know...) So it leaves me wondering how other people deal with this or are we the only one that experiences this astonishing magic act?

We save Tiffs of each finished set after each revision but sometimes we need to make just one text change is there a way to do this to a Tiff file? short of :pissed: preferably...

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
Re: Problems keeping drawings from changing?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 02:07:13 PM »
Is this after the drawing has been issued?

When we issue a drawing, we bind any x-refs, copy the drawing to a "issued" folder, and then make the issued file a read only file. It may not be the best way of doing it, but it works for us :)
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Bob Wahr

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 02:09:10 PM »
Changes can be made to TIF files in any of a huge number of graphics editors.

Birdy

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 02:38:00 PM »
We are experiencing a bit of a problem with some of our drawings. People go in to change a few things and they seem to turn on or off layers and then reprint it and stuff is supprisingly missing or added! (shocking I know...) So it leaves me wondering how other people deal with this or are we the only one that experiences this astonishing magic act?
Training your users has gotta be the best way, IMO.  And as Jonsey mentioned, limiting access to only those who know what they are doing can only make things better.

Or at least easier to track down the 'offender'   :|

CADaver

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 03:25:39 PM »
We check everything prior to issue.  The best way to cure most of these issues (IMMHO) is a strong set of company standards for EVERYTHING, the create custom functions to make building and plotting the drawings as automatic as possible to those standards.

We save Tiffs of each finished set after each revision but sometimes we need to make just one text change is there a way to do this to a Tiff file? short of :pissed: preferably...
There are several graphics editors for TIF files.  We prefer PDF's for document history.

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 03:28:06 PM »

CADaver

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 03:31:44 PM »
(IMMHO)

*smirk*
Hey the sig wasn't working, and I'm trying not to muck something up, gimme a break fer trying, willya?

... well ... fer LOOKING like I'm trying anyway ...

mikeg

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 03:54:47 PM »
Basically it is between revisions. PDF's wont really do everything i need, we use them for some things but they wont plot using accxes tools correctly on our plotter when making sets.

The Tiffs seem to have some draw backs as if i change one item on it the Acad file is not changed. Then if someone was to go back to the Acad file and make more changes the last updates are not there. And the standards here are way to lax!!!

What do you all think of layer states? although this particular person would still not use them correctly i am sure. I tried explaining that the computer can't fix operator errors, it did exactly as told but they have tasked me with trying to fix this. So any help is appreciated!

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 04:00:58 PM »
Then as Birdy has said, train the user(s) it will save you much time/money/hairloss.

Maybe a good document management system might help you too. At least they track any revisions made to files, and who made the revisions.
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

pmvliet

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 04:17:39 PM »
One thought would be reduce the layers that need to be turned off or frozen.
You could then run a little routine to turn all layers on prior to plotting...

But, we are finding a solution to a problem that with a little thought from your users
should be and is able to be avoided...

I try to have all layers on. If I don't want something to plot, I put it on a non-plotting layer.
When you are working with xref's, this gets trickier. But educating users is the only
way to deal with it efficiently. Or to automate your standards as Cadaver stated.

Pieter

CADaver

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 04:18:08 PM »
Basically it is between revisions. PDF's wont really do everything i need, we use them for some things but they wont plot using accxes tools correctly on our plotter when making sets.
I missed something there.  Can you elaborate?

The Tiffs seem to have some draw backs as if i change one item on it the Acad file is not changed. Then if someone was to go back to the Acad file and make more changes the last updates are not there. And the standards here are way to lax!!!
Around here (and every place I work) there is a cardinal that is NEVER broken on penalty of me screaming at the offender until he/she cries.  NEVER change the plot "manually", ALWAYS change the file and re-plot (or make TIFs).  Some thirty years ago we tried it the other way and all it did was cost money.  You think you're saving time, but as you're discovering, it doesn't.  It is cheaper (and faster by far) to make sure the file is always correct than to pay for misfits fit-up errors in the field.

What do you all think of layer states? although this particular person would still not use them correctly i am sure.
Personally, I don't use them at all and don't see any need to start.  Paperspace viewports (and the layer control provided there) are all I've ever needed.

I tried explaining that the computer can't fix operator errors, it did exactly as told but they have tasked me with trying to fix this. So any help is appreciated!
Strong standards, compliance is NOT an option, make it easier to comply (customization) than not. Training, training, training.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 07:40:45 PM by CADaver »

Birdy

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 04:22:57 PM »
Then as Birdy has said, train the user(s) it will save you much time/money/hairloss.
meh. ....well, at least 2 out of three.  :?
 :-)

mikeg

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 04:45:32 PM »
I missed something there.  Can you elaborate?

Sure not only is it the same problem as with manually changing a Tiff, but we use a program called Accxes Tools to plot and coalate our sets. it is old so is the plotter but when i try to plot PDF's using this i only get an error page.

Thanks for the help all. I believe the problem is the lack of standards. You are right cadaver, the viewport freeze is what i use and dont have this problem at all. that and a little though behind layer names.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 11:19:12 PM by Maverick® »

Bob Wahr

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 04:58:08 PM »
It is cheaper (and faster by far) to make sure the file is always correct than to pay for misfits in the field.
If you find a way to keep the misfits out of the field, let us know.  It would completely revolutionize the construction industry.

CADaver

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 07:39:26 PM »
It is cheaper (and faster by far) to make sure the file is always correct than to pay for misfits in the field.
If you find a way to keep the misfits out of the field, let us know.  It would completely revolutionize the construction industry.
:lmao: <see edit above>