Author Topic: Boolean operations fouled up in 2009?  (Read 3365 times)

Josh Nieman

Boolean operations fouled up in 2009?
« on: April 18, 2008, 01:53:12 PM »
Ok I'm getting some CRAZY stupid results here not 15 minutes into my operations here.

Open both drawings I have attached.

Copy the object from "new block.dwg" (items wblock'd from the other drawing, and edited)

and paste them into the other drawing (model.dwg)

Anything funny happen?

I'll explain in detail what I'm trying to do, and how I am trying to do it once someone else can confirm that I'm not TOTALLY crazy.

*edit* ok so the one drawing is too big to attach.  Here's the link to model.dwg: http://www.theswamp.org/lilly_pond/index.php?dir=JoshNieman/&file=Model.zip (just under 18mb, sorry)

Again... just copy the object(s) in 'new block.dwg' and paste it into 'model.dwg' and see if you notice anything funny about what's pasted.

Bob Wahr

Re: Boolean operations fouled up in 2009?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 02:11:04 PM »
downloading

Bob Wahr

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 02:25:34 PM »
um, funny strange or funny haha?  Funny like it's a clown?  It's here to amuse you?

In other words, it pasted.  acad 2k8sp1

Josh Nieman

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 02:37:36 PM »
Well in 2009, there's problems, there Pesci.

Basically (man I wish I had a screen-cap software right now) I use the command "Intersect" on three objects.  Two objects are free standing, and the third touches the first two.

Think of two plus signs next to eachother, as if the horizontal line was one object  ++

I use this example, because that's basically what I have.  Think of that dual-plus sign extruded off your screen.

Now, when I do an intersect in the original drawing, nothing happens.  By that, I mean no change to the display occurs, no objects are modified.  In fact, when you select the objects, it still shows (3 Objects in the Properties).  Upon further investigation... the right-hand vertical line represented in the plus sign example, has been union'd to the other two objects, but the other two objects remain. 

I WBLOCK'd out the three objects and opened that file.  I showed three objects, but one of the objects was the appropriate result.  Let me repeat this in different words.  I WBLOCK'd the three objects, and DIFFERENT SOLIDS were made.  One solid was the expected end result that should happen when running intersect on three objects.  One solid was the horizontal line.  One object was the left-hand vertical line.

I copy the proper object, thinking I encountered something funny ha-ha, and paste it into my original drawing at the proper coordinates.  IT REVERTED BACK TO THE CRAPTASTIC scenario I originally described.  It was a single object, which encompassed all three, as if I ran "UNION" rather than "INTERSECT"

I'm going nuts here with 2009.

I'm off to the extra computer to do my edits, then saving it, and reopening it in 09.  BRB.

daron

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 02:42:52 PM »
So, you're not enjoying being the Gamma tester?

Bob Wahr

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 02:44:03 PM »
(man I wish I had a screen-cap software right now)
Print Screen?

I have one 3dsolid in New Block.dwg, the same on 3dsolid gets pasted into model.dwg.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 02:44:54 PM »
So, you're not enjoying being the Gamma tester?

:-D

Seems like that's what I am, with this one.  I don't understand how this could have fowled up... nothing was changed/added/improved in regards to solid editing.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 02:49:44 PM »
(man I wish I had a screen-cap software right now)
Print Screen?

I have one 3dsolid in New Block.dwg, the same on 3dsolid gets pasted into model.dwg.

Yea, I'll put together a slide show of a few screens or something.

I'm dealing with one of those WONDERFUL fatal errors.

I hit render, get a render.  Changed the saturation on the colors of one of the materials, hit render again... FATAL ERROR - YOUR GRASS IS TOO GREEN! :roll: :roll:

Josh Nieman

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 03:12:50 PM »
Ok, here we go.

An easy 8 step graphical slideshow sure to make you question whether life is worth living:

daron

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 03:23:31 PM »
Love the slide show; especially the comments. Looks like it's time to go back to 2008 until the first SP.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 03:27:04 PM »
Love the slide show; especially the comments. Looks like it's time to go back to 2008 until the first SP.

:( Unfortunately.

And yes, if you haven't been able to tell, making jokes like that is how I deal with Autocad stress.  Everyone has their ways, I guess this is mine.  Better than smoking or alcoholism I guess :-D

Josh Nieman

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 03:43:42 PM »
Can anyone else using 2009 replicate this drastic behavior?

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 04:04:25 PM »
Heck, I can duplicate this in 2008.....

OPen the Model drawing.
Select the Intersection function
Select by crossing the 4 objects (yes, there are 4 there, one is a very thing 3dsolid on the Asphalt layer)

It doesn't appear to do anything, now select those same objects by a crossing window, 4 will again be selected, CTRL-C.
PAN to another part of the drawing and CTRL-V.
There are now different looking solids there, just as Josh descibed.

But, again, this is 2008. I tested it in the 2009 beta that I have (not on the same machine) with identical results.

So I have to agree that something strange is happening, but it is not 2009 specific. And since I don't use solids much, I'm not qualified to say what it should, or shouldn't, be doing.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 04:08:45 PM »
As a quick follow-up, after saving and re-opening the 2008 drawing, the original 3dsolids have been updated to match those of the previously pasted objects......

Josh Nieman

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 04:13:36 PM »
ha.  Funny... I'll try it again in 2008.  I hadn't had these problems in 2008 so far, and I do use it pretty often, though I must admit, intersect is one tool I don't use often at all.  I deal with steel shapes, so mostly it's a matter of extrude/union/subtract(coping)/presspull... intersect is just not a normal tool for me... I was just making some features that'll help give my preliminary renders some 'scale' to the eye.

Oh, and yea, there're 4 objects there... there're 2 on the Asphalt layer... one is just a thin layer on top that I'm using to create some striping, the other is an 18" thick representation of an old asphalt road.  I was just using the thin layer and the two white curvy objects.