Author Topic: Attributes in block, but not showing in Block editor  (Read 19743 times)

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
Attributes in block, but not showing in Block editor
« on: April 11, 2008, 08:36:54 AM »
I've got that TGI Friday feeling  :-) and I have a feeliing I'm having a "moment"

I have a drawing frame come from a client and I need to edit the attribut definitions to something other than "*"

I have tried opening the block in the block editor, but there are no attributes in the block. However I can edit the attributes if I double click on one (trouble is, as the attribute tags are all called * its difficult to to figure what text to put where.)

Before I roll this out to the whole company, I need to get this drawing to work.

Any ideas how I can get to the attributes to redefine them?

Many thanks in advance
T  :-)
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Chuck Gabriel

Re: Attributes in block, but not showing in Block editor
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 09:01:55 AM »
One thing that has bitten me before is I assumed the attributes were part of the title block, but they were actually in a separate block called tb-info or something like that.  Could that be what's happening to you?

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 09:33:24 AM »
Thanks for your reply Chuck

Looking at the block theres just 2 parts to it (the original block and a block that has 1 attribute assigned). I cant select the attributes (theres no grips), but if I double click, I can enter my text. If I explode the block, the attributes disappear, and like I said, they are not there in the block editor.

All I want to do is change the tags :( I dont want to mess with a client border too much

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 09:37:17 AM »
After assigning a generic value to all of the attributes i.e. XXX, use burst instead of explode. Burst works similar to explode but keeps the values that you assigned to the attributes.
CAD Tech

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 09:44:22 AM »
Thanks for that Rob. I'd thought about using that, but it means I'd completely need to rebuild this block... as the attributes then become text.

I guess I was looking for a "lazy" way or hoping that I'd missed something.

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 09:51:36 AM »
Have you tired "BATTMAN", yet? I'm thinking that the text style that is assigned to the attributes might have a zero hieght.
CAD Tech

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 10:15:24 AM »
Yes I have. When I finally purged out the only other block in there, the text was still there. I could double click to edit the attributes, BUT, if I did the battman, it tells me the drawing contains no attributed blocks.

Maybe its just me, but it has me stumped for now.

Chuck Gabriel

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 10:16:17 AM »
It looks like the block was redefined with no attributes after it had already been inserted with attributes.  The current block definition contains no attributes.  I don't think you are going to have any choice but to recreate the block.

Sometimes people do the strangest things to their drawings.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 10:20:08 AM »
Building on Chuck's thoughts... what happens when you run a ATTSYNC on the block?  That'll kind of reconfirm his assessment.

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 10:54:04 AM »
the block appears to reference itself, when you edit the title sheet (Block A$C6BCF6960), the attributes are contained in it as a block and are also called A$C6BCF6960, so you can't edit them as they are already checked out for editing.

if you edit the block in place, erase everything except the attributes, then explode the attributes, the title sheet re-appears.

Do you know Which CAD system was used to make the block?
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 11:19:46 AM »
Tracey, the attributes in this title block were evidently added after the block was created. Unfortunately unless you have a program to add them back to the block reference, you won't be able to have the attributes available for insertion into a new drawing.

Of course you can always download my attribute utility that will allow you to rename the tags for that particular block instance.

get Modatt here
Simply cycle through the attribute definitions select the "global" check box for the attribute name then click the "global" button. It will change all of the names for all block insertions of that name in the drawing.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 07:15:58 AM »
Building on Chuck's thoughts... what happens when you run a ATTSYNC on the block?  That'll kind of reconfirm his assessment.
Thanks Josh, I've tried that this morning and it came back with no editable attributes. So I ended up recreating the block.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 07:22:07 AM »
the block appears to reference itself, when you edit the title sheet (Block A$C6BCF6960), the attributes are contained in it as a block and are also called A$C6BCF6960, so you can't edit them as they are already checked out for editing.

if you edit the block in place, erase everything except the attributes, then explode the attributes, the title sheet re-appears.

Do you know Which CAD system was used to make the block?
Thanks for your reply Andy. I finally got the title block to work! I havent a clue which cad system was used. This is just a very small part in the job I am setting up at the moment... but on Friday it really was testing my patience

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 07:25:31 AM »
Tracey, the attributes in this title block were evidently added after the block was created. Unfortunately unless you have a program to add them back to the block reference, you won't be able to have the attributes available for insertion into a new drawing.

Of course you can always download my attribute utility that will allow you to rename the tags for that particular block instance.

get Modatt here
Simply cycle through the attribute definitions select the "global" check box for the attribute name then click the "global" button. It will change all of the names for all block insertions of that name in the drawing.
Thanks for looking into this for me Keith, in the end I went with recreating the block, that way I know how it goes together :)

Kate M

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 08:34:27 AM »
ATTSYNC?