Author Topic: The Official Swamp Wish List  (Read 40497 times)

craigr

Re: The Official Swamp Wish List
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2008, 03:08:29 PM »
A big one for use would be the ability to add 'pages' to dwgs. - ?

Kind of like MS Word, you can have 45 pages to a document, so you can hit Plot one time and it would plot all pages at once. - We use a batch plotter now. The one file thing would also be nice for filing, etc...

I realize this may cause problems in other diciplines due to file size issues, our CADs are very small in size - (80k).

craigr

architecture68-raff

• Swamp Rat
  • Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K.
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2008, 03:18:03 PM »

Kind of like MS Word, you can have 45 pages to a document, so you can hit Plot one time and it would plot all pages at once. - We use a batch plotter now. The one file thing would also be nice for filing, etc...

That sounds awfully similar to the ._PUBLISH command with multiple layouts

LT does give you the ._PUBLISH command, does it not?
Chicago, Illinois
ADT 2005, Revit Architecture 2009, Sketchup 7

craigr

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2008, 03:22:00 PM »

That sounds awfully similar to the ._PUBLISH command with multiple layouts

LT does give you the ._PUBLISH command, does it not?

But you still have several seperate files - not all pages in one file. - Right?

Aren't Layouts different views of the same file?

craigr

Birdy

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2008, 03:57:51 PM »
**adding one more**

having a feature in Autocad the is like the Answers add-on for fire fox.  You don't know a word, just ALT + Left Click it.
Cool.     8-) That's a new one for me.

trog·lo·dyte (trŏg'lə-dīt') pronunciation
n.

1. A member of a fabulous or prehistoric race of people that lived in caves, dens, or holes.
         2. A person considered to be reclusive, reactionary, out of date, or brutish.
         1. An anthropoid ape, such as a gorilla or chimpanzee.
         2. An animal that lives underground, as an ant or a worm.
:|

daron

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2008, 05:58:55 PM »
when wanting to use snap overrides (while in a command), instead of typing something like "end" or "near" just be able to type 1 letter.
just use the letters that will jump quickly to the ones in the osnap popup (ctrl+ right click or middle button long ago before mbuttonpan)
e = erase
d = node
r = nearest
s = insertion
q = quadrant
i = intersection
p = perpendicular
and so on...
Didn't see this from anyone else, but mbuttonpan set to 0 and what you ask is what you get. That's how I do it and I set my pgp file to see "w" as pan, that way I don't have to jump to the "p". "wb" is writeblock, not "w". I hate mbuttonpan set to 1.

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2008, 06:52:29 PM »
Didn't see this from anyone else, but mbuttonpan set to 0 and what you ask is what you get. That's how I do it and I set my pgp file to see "w" as pan, that way I don't have to jump to the "p". "wb" is writeblock, not "w". I hate mbuttonpan set to 1.

i don't want the popup from my middle button, i dont' think i could go back to autocad w/o transparent pan from the middle button and double clicking the middle button for transparent zoom extents, such a huge timesaver.

i still use the popup (ctrl+right click) from time to time but i was hoping to be able to when drawing a line
you be able to type in like so:

Command: l
LINE Specify first point: end
of
Specify next point or [Undo]: near
to
Specify next point or [Undo]:

but to have E in place of "end" and R in place of "near" it would have to be some kind of work around with sub-commands like previous, last, etc.

just out of curiousity, why do you hate mbuttonpan set to 1?
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

CADaver

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2008, 07:04:25 PM »
why do you hate mbuttonpan set to 1?
Which do you need a heck of a lot more, osnaps or pan??

For those rare times when I need to pan frequently, I built a toggle on F12 to bounce MBUTTONPAN on and off.

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2008, 08:34:56 PM »
different strokes, different folks. i guess i just hadn't even considered the idea that a person wouldn't pan much.
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2008, 09:08:52 PM »
Most people would get dizzy watching me zoom and pan in a drawing.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

CADaver

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2008, 11:57:05 PM »
different strokes, different folks. i guess i just hadn't even considered the idea that a person wouldn't pan much.
Well ... ... do you pan MORE than you build stuff??

CADaver

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2008, 11:59:12 PM »
... and you find that more productive than actually drawing things ??

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2008, 12:27:32 AM »

:lol: .. very funny ... I don't work on a tiny model, but I do work on a 21" monitor ... my tasks involve a meticulously planned set of events. Each item must be done in a specific order. The constraints of the visible area within the drawing, makes it very inefficient to have the entire model visible on the screen, even for short periods of time. In fact the only time I have to put the model in full view is for plotting and hatching.

Try inserting a block that is 4"x3" 140 times in a drawing, when the limits of the model is 200'x160' ... and do it accurately ... If I were forced to have the entire model visible, it would take several long minutes to do properly, however, by increasing the size of the work area, I can place them all in under 1 minute ... and zoom and pan the entire time ...

Nevermind ... it isn't worth trying to explain ... you are right ... I am doing it the most inefficient way possible, despite having honed my method over the last 16 years.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

craigr

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2008, 07:55:42 AM »
I also pan ALOT - don't take that away.

craigr

CADaver

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2008, 08:42:16 AM »
:lol: .. very funny ... I don't work on a tiny model, but I do work on a 21" monitor ...
Neither do I, and I use a single 19"

my tasks involve a meticulously planned set of events. Each item must be done in a specific order. The constraints of the visible area within the drawing, makes it very inefficient to have the entire model visible on the screen, even for short periods of time.
Who said anything about "the entire model"

In fact the only time I have to put the model in full view is for plotting and hatching.

Try inserting a block that is 4"x3" 140 times in a drawing, when the limits of the model is 200'x160' ... and do it accurately ...
Do it all the time.  I still pan a lot less than I use osnap, BECAUSE I draw accurately.

If I were forced to have the entire model visible, it would take several long minutes to do properly,
Again, no one said ANYTHING about the entire model being visible.

however, by increasing the size of the work area, I can place them all in under 1 minute ... and zoom and pan the entire time ...
If you "zoom and pan the ENTIRE time", when do you place your elements??

Nevermind ... it isn't worth trying to explain ... you are right ... I am doing it the most inefficient way possible, despite having honed my method over the last 16 years.
Doing something for sixteen years doesn't make it right, just sixteen years old.

Now to the point you missed ENTIRELY.  Which do you use MORE, Pan or Osnaps?  If its PAN, leave MBUTTONPAN set to one, if its osnaps, set it to zero.

M-dub

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2008, 09:05:05 AM »
Dear Santa,
I would like the Edit Text (ddedit, etc.) dialog box to allow me to hit the up or down arrow which would allow me to scroll through previously entered strings of text.

Just like Microstation does.  :)

I have been a good boy this year and I will leave you cookies and milk and carrots for the reindeer.

Thank-you,
Mike