Author Topic: The Official Swamp Wish List  (Read 40501 times)

Bob Wahr

Re: The Official Swamp Wish List
« Reply #120 on: March 24, 2009, 01:23:18 PM »
...completely pointless waste of effort.

I don't agree.
http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=22402.msg335619#msg335619
I covered situations like that in my first post.  Since the feature already existed, it isn't really a wish so much as a "how do you...?" "like this?"  Or back to the tree, you didn't get anyone to hear the sound, you were shown where there was some firewood stacked up that you could use.  Different thing all together.

Bob Wahr

« Reply #121 on: March 24, 2009, 01:26:26 PM »
Personally I WISH that all wish list directed at autodesk would take the form of:

Did you bring your flogging stick?

M-dub

« Reply #122 on: March 24, 2009, 01:28:03 PM »
Quote from: Bob Wahr link=topic=22402.msg335654#msg335654
I covered situations like that in my first post.

True enough, but when I went to post it, I had no idea that that functionality existed and instead of posting a new topic "Does anyone know if you can do this?", I posted it in here and well...

You never know WHO might be looking.  Maybe Kate will take a few of these with her.

Regardless of whether anyone who 'matters' reads these or not, I've posted far more pointless things in far more useless threads.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #123 on: March 25, 2009, 07:52:23 AM »
Personally I WISH that all wish list directed at autodesk would take the form of:

Did you bring your flogging stick?
I was thinking the same thing.  :lmao: :lmao:
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

M-dub

« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2010, 01:08:58 PM »
I'm not sure if this is in here or not, but I wish that "No Plot" was an object property... in addition to being a layer property.

Example, I've got a panel layout with a bunch of spare wiring and instrumentation in it and it's all on the 'No-Plot' layer.  The objects that make up these spares would normally be on 5 or 6 layers (text, wiring, instrumentation, etc.).  Well, when we go to use these spares, we'll have to go put this stuff on the correct layers.  It's not a real big deal, but it would be nice if I could say... use Quickselect to get everything with the 'plot' property set to 0 and quickly turn it on.

I could probably just put all of these spares on the right layer and then block it, putting the block on the no plot layer, but ... just sayin' it would be nice to have it as an additional property.

jbuzbee

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2010, 03:01:34 PM »
Mike, objects do have a visibility property . . .  ^-^
James Buzbee
Windows 8

GDF

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2010, 03:47:57 PM »
Mike, objects do have a visibility property . . .  ^-^

You can make objects visible or in invisble with:

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;;
;;;
;;;   BLANK.LSP   Version 1.0
;;;
;;;   Copyright (C) 1995 by Autodesk, Inc.
;;;
;;;   Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
;;;   documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted.
;;;
;;;   THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY.
;;;   ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND OF
;;;   MERCHANTABILITY ARE HEREBY DISCLAIMED.
;;;
;;;
;;;   BLANK, UNBLANK, and UNBLANKALL
;;;
;;;   This module provides functions to manipulate the visibility field of
;;;   AutoCAD objects.  BLANK will make a selection set of objects invisible.
;;;   UNBLANK will make a specified object (given its handle) visible.
;;;   UNBLANKALL will make all blanked entities visible.
;;;
;;;
Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?
BricsCAD 2020x64 Windows 10x64

JCTER

« Reply #127 on: October 07, 2010, 03:58:10 PM »
Bolded items that I still wish for.  Struck out items that are no longer desired.  Highlighting items in red that have been added (woot @ Autodesk)

• Solidedit
    • Solidedit should be able to select faces on more than one solid at a time
    • Solidedit should be able to select multiple solids for most operations
  • Plotting 3D views
    • Visual styles should not ignore plot styles.  All linework should always read the CTB/STB when plotting, when using visual styles that do not override color/face-shading (such as 3DHidden, or any custom visual style that uses "ByLayer" as the edge color)
    • Tangential lines are a no-no!  This is Drafting Principles 101 here people.  When looking at an elevation of a fillet you should not see the extents of the fillet.  You never draw a line for that.  Ever.  ...ever...
    • Improved sectioning abilities:  When using 3DCLIP to show a section of a model, at times, the profile of a  displayed face will not create a line to show extents.  Such as a section of a 'box' that shows less than 4 lines of the rectangle.  This should be remedied.  Ideally there should be a bottom-up new tool for displaying sectioned views of a 3D model.
    • Improved sectioning abilities:  Either an augmented 3DCLIP command, or better yet, a bottom up new function such as the new SECTIONPLANE command, that creates a 3DCLIP'ing plane that is not planar.  This would allow for common jogged sections in a 3D model.
    • Hidden Linetypes:  OBSCUREDLTYPE should read the standard .lin file!!!!  OBSCUREDLTYPE, when showing hidden lines in a model, should ignore tangential edges (again) and only show true object lines that are obscured by foreground objects.  These linetypes and lineweights should read be able to be assigned to one of the loaded linetypes in the drawing, not some obscure, inaccessible collection of SYSVAR-set OBSCUREDLTYPE linetypes that aren't even properly drawn to Common Drafting Standards.  They should also read the CTB/STB for lineweight when plotting.[/b]
  • Rendering (Good job so far.  The improvements have been great over the past few years.)
    • Improved Material Mapping:  When setting map rotation, allow for numerical input as well as rotating the 3-axis navigator.  The 3-axis navigator that is currently used for realigning maps is not precise at all, and aligning maps that are very importantly lined up (such as bricks, siding, etc) it is crucial that you don't have crookedly lined bricks.
    • Improved Material Mapping:  Allow for "draping" maps over an entire multi-faced solid with accuracy, rather than forcing "Fit to Gizmo" (I may simply be lacking knowledge of how to do it, for this one, but not sure)
  • 2D Geometry Improvements
    • Improved Hatching:  Allow for better hatch editting, possibly with grips, as if it were a closed, filled, polyline itself.  Improve associativity, and make it more intelligently associative.
    • Improved Hatch Patterns:  Allow for opacity in hatch patterns
    • Improved PEDIT:  Allow for reversing order of vertexes of pline through pedit.
    • Improved Polyline:  Allow fillet to close an open polyline.
  • Dimensions
    • Improve control and consistency of text placement:  If one side places text aligned with dim line, and outside... the other side should too, rather than placing text off to the side with a leader.  Consistency please.
    • Improve Associativity:  Make the associativity more intelligent and less faulty.  If an object is edited, that has an associative dimension, do not shoot the dimension's node point off in space to the endpoint, even though it was previously snapped to the midpoint or other point on the line.
    • Improved Leaders:  Leaders should always read the dimstyle.  They should not stop reading the dimstyle once created.
    • Improved Leaders:  Text and leader should be one object.  If I move text, so should leader... if I move leader, so should text.  I should have to do a fenced-stretch to maintain accurate placement.
    • Improved Q/Leaders:  Allow for adding multiple arrow heads along the same leader line rather than creating new leaders such as MLEADER does.  (see attached image)
  • Tables
    • Table Editing is slow.  Hitting "return" should IMMEDIATELY go to the next cell below, not delay, causing fast typers to enter multiple cell's data into the first cell.
    • Improved Border Editing:  Improve the method of assigning border color/thickness.  Currently the 4 options (All, Inside, Outside, No Borders) are very limiting.
    • Improve data and formula input:  Allow for text and formula in a single cell, not one or the other; Ex:  [ Total Length of #4 Bars = (=(C4*D4)+(C5*D5)+(C6*D6)) ]

That's it for now... I'll update as I go, I guess.  It's early in the morning.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #128 on: October 07, 2010, 04:12:50 PM »
Bolded items that I still wish for.  Struck out items that are no longer desired.  Highlighting items in red that have been added (woot @ Autodesk)

who?   :-o

:-D
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #129 on: October 07, 2010, 04:49:15 PM »
^^  :-D :-D

I almost said something too.  But then I got distracted.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #130 on: October 20, 2010, 01:37:50 PM »
I would really find it usefull if one could actually use the offset alignment stations to control ones assembly offsets, not the Baseline Stationing.  While baseline station and offset labels make sense not allowing the assembly offset to be controlled by the alignment it is attached to doesn't.  It also creates some interesting geometry constraints that are not always reflective of actual design methods.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

JCTER

« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2011, 02:01:44 PM »
It would really be nice if I could have a viewport focused NOT on a X,Y,Z location in space... but rather tie it to an OBJECT.

I'm tired of detailing a particular connection or situation in a model, then coming back much later, and moving a column line over, or something... then noticing that said column line contained model pieces that were detailed on other sheets.

For a simple example, say I detail a base plate of a column.  I have a viewport in paperspace with all the dimensions and what not.

Then I move that column.

Now the viewport appears empty because it's looking where the column -was- and the ASSOCIATIVE dimensions now shot off into space.

Now I have to unlock the viewport, and [-pan] the set distance I just moved that column line (assuming I know the number) to get it back into view of the viewport.

Just annoying and seemingly so simple that I shouldn't have to do this.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2011, 08:43:43 AM »
It would really be nice if I could have a viewport focused NOT on a X,Y,Z location in space... but rather tie it to an OBJECT.

I'm tired of detailing a particular connection or situation in a model, then coming back much later, and moving a column line over, or something... then noticing that said column line contained model pieces that were detailed on other sheets.

For a simple example, say I detail a base plate of a column.  I have a viewport in paperspace with all the dimensions and what not.

Then I move that column.

Now the viewport appears empty because it's looking where the column -was- and the ASSOCIATIVE dimensions now shot off into space.

Now I have to unlock the viewport, and [-pan] the set distance I just moved that column line (assuming I know the number) to get it back into view of the viewport.

Just annoying and seemingly so simple that I shouldn't have to do this.
I am not shooting this idea down but I do see a problem due to knowing how Autodesk's track record.  I see this feature as being a major memory hog or slowing down the file opening process even more.  If there is no performance issue(s), then I am all for it.