Author Topic: The Official Swamp Wish List  (Read 40431 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
The Official Swamp Wish List
« on: April 08, 2008, 08:02:12 AM »
Why not!
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Re: The Official Swamp Wish List
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 08:16:40 AM »
Here's one that I would like to see.

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 08:19:48 AM »
Mark:
You can drag/drop a layout to an open Sheet Set.  New in '08.

quamper

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 08:51:27 AM »
Mark:
I love that feature!

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 08:52:04 AM »
Mark:

Thanks Matt! I didn't know that and I used '08 for about a year. :roll:

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 08:57:28 AM »
Mark:

Thanks Matt! I didn't know that and I used '08 for about a year. :roll:

Also, if you have a sheet set open, when you right-click on the layout tab, there's an option for IMPORT LAYOUT AS SHEET.  Basically the same thing.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 09:03:59 AM by Matt W »

Josh Nieman

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 09:28:11 AM »
                • Solidedit
                  • Solidedit should be able to select faces on more than one solid at a time
                  • Solidedit should be able to select multiple solids for most operations
                • Plotting 3D views
                  • Visual styles should not ignore plot styles.  All linework should always read the CTB/STB when plotting, when using visual styles that do not override color/face-shading (such as 3DHidden, or any custom visual style that uses "ByLayer" as the edge color)
                  • Tangential lines are a no-no!  This is Drafting Principles 101 here people.  When looking at an elevation of a fillet you should not see the extents of the fillet.  You never draw a line for that.  Ever.  ...ever...
                  • Improved sectioning abilities:  When using 3DCLIP to show a section of a model, at times, the profile of a  displayed face will not create a line to show extents.  Such as a section of a 'box' that shows less than 4 lines of the rectangle.  This should be remedied.  Ideally there should be a bottom-up new tool for displaying sectioned views of a 3D model.
                  • Improved sectioning abilities:  Either an augmented 3DCLIP command, or better yet, a bottom up new function such as the new SECTIONPLANE command, that creates a 3DCLIP'ing plane that is not planar.  This would allow for common jogged sections in a 3D model.
                  • Hidden Linetypes:  OBSCUREDLTYPE should read the standard .lin file!!!!  OBSCUREDLTYPE, when showing hidden lines in a model, should ignore tangential edges (again) and only show true object lines that are obscured by foreground objects.  These linetypes and lineweights should read be able to be assigned to one of the loaded linetypes in the drawing, not some obscure, inaccessible collection of SYSVAR-set OBSCUREDLTYPE linetypes that aren't even properly drawn to Common Drafting Standards.  They should also read the CTB/STB for lineweight when plotting.
                • Rendering (Good job so far.  The improvements have been great over the past few years.)
                  • Improved Material Mapping:  When setting map rotation, allow for numerical input as well as rotating the 3-axis navigator.  The 3-axis navigator that is currently used for realigning maps is not precise at all, and aligning maps that are very importantly lined up (such as bricks, siding, etc) it is crucial that you don't have crookedly lined bricks.
                  • Improved Material Mapping:  Allow for "draping" maps over an entire multi-faced solid with accuracy, rather than forcing "Fit to Gizmo" (I may simply be lacking knowledge of how to do it, for this one, but not sure)
                • 2D Geometry Improvements
                  • Improved Hatching:  Allow for better hatch editting, possibly with grips, as if it were a closed, filled, polyline itself.  Improve associativity, and make it more intelligently associative.
                  • Improved Hatch Patterns:  Allow for opacity in hatch patterns
                  • Improved PEDIT:  Allow for reversing order of vertexes of pline through pedit.
                  • Improved Polyline:  Allow fillet to close an open polyline.
                • Dimensions
                  • Improve control and consistency of text placement:  If one side places text aligned with dim line, and outside... the other side should too, rather than placing text off to the side with a leader.  Consistency please.
                  • Improve Associativity:  Make the associativity more intelligent and less faulty.  If an object is edited, that has an associative dimension, do not shoot the dimension's node point off in space to the endpoint, even though it was previously snapped to the midpoint or other point on the line.
                  • Improved Leaders:  Leaders should always read the dimstyle.  They should not stop reading the dimstyle once created.
                  • Improved Leaders:  Text and leader should be one object.  If I move text, so should leader... if I move leader, so should text.  I should have to do a fenced-stretch to maintain accurate placement.
                  • Improved Q/Leaders:  Allow for adding multiple arrow heads along the same leader line rather than creating new leaders such as MLEADER does.  (see attached image)
                • Tables
                  • Table Editing is slow.  Hitting "return" should IMMEDIATELY go to the next cell below, not delay, causing fast typers to enter multiple cell's data into the first cell.
                  • Improved Border Editing:  Improve the method of assigning border color/thickness.  Currently the 4 options (All, Inside, Outside, No Borders) are very limiting.
                  • Improve data and formula input:  Allow for text and formula in a single cell, not one or the other; Ex:  [ Total Length of #4 Bars = (=(C4*D4)+(C5*D5)+(C6*D6)) ]

That's it for now... I'll update as I go, I guess.  It's early in the morning.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 09:31:44 AM by Josh Nieman »

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 09:43:28 AM »
Why would you want to reverse a pline?  The only time I've had to do that was when I used Land Desktop for creating alignments.  If the pline wasn't drawn in the direction you wanted the alignment to be labeled, you'd have to reverse it using some LSP.

Just curious.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 09:44:25 AM »
Why would you want to reverse a pline?  The only time I've had to do that was when I used Land Desktop for creating alignments.  If the pline wasn't drawn in the direction you wanted the alignment to be labeled, you'd have to reverse it using some LSP.

Just curious.

Linetypes for one.  If you use a field to get the Northing/Easting, as well, I guess that would be a problem.  I contemplated setting up a little LSP that would place a single MTEXT entity that would create a field assigned to read the angle of the PLINE selected (assuming surveyors units is set, but of course, we always do that for site plans) so I guess in that situation, I'd want to make sure it read as needed. 

Mostly, what I actually run into, though, is textual linetypes reading the wrong direction.  It's easy to rotate a LINE 180d, but a pline with multiple segments?

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 09:48:50 AM »

Just curious.

Linetypes for one.

Our linetypes are mainly dashes, dots, circles and squares so the direction of the pline has no effect on the linetype.

I can see that being important if you had an arrow embeded in the line type.

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 09:49:26 AM »
when wanting to use snap overrides (while in a command), instead of typing something like "end" or "near" just be able to type 1 letter.
just use the letters that will jump quickly to the ones in the osnap popup (ctrl+ right click or middle button long ago before mbuttonpan)
e = erase
d = node
r = nearest
s = insertion
q = quadrant
i = intersection
p = perpendicular
and so on...
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

Josh Nieman

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 09:56:52 AM »

Just curious.

Linetypes for one.

Our linetypes are mainly dashes, dots, circles and squares so the direction of the pline has no effect on the linetype.

I can see that being important if you had an arrow embeded in the line type.

Yea, our SWALE linetype is:  ------>------>----->------>----- for example... that one is kind of important.  But aside from that, the underground electric linetype (----UE------UE------UE-----) and others like that... I like to have them read with the same rules that all text has.... always read as if the person was from the bottom or right-side of page.

deegeecees

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 10:01:39 AM »
when wanting to use snap overrides (while in a command), instead of typing something like "end" or "near" just be able to type 1 letter.
just use the letters that will jump quickly to the ones in the osnap popup (ctrl+ right click or middle button long ago before mbuttonpan)
e = erase
d = node
r = nearest
s = insertion
q = quadrant
i = intersection
p = perpendicular
and so on...

You only need to type in the first three, as in:

int
ins
nod
nea
qua...

Not sure if you were aware.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 10:05:41 AM »
  • Improved MTEXT:  Include "send as email" button in the mtext editor that inserts text into a new email using the default mail client
  • Improved drawing tools:  Include paintbrush, pencil tool, pen tool, magic wand, and other necessary raster image editing tools.
  • Improved coffee maker:  This cup holder on my computer tower should be able to brew a cup of coffee as well as hold my mug

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 10:07:10 AM »
You only need to type in the first three, as in:

int
ins
nod
nea
qua...

yeah, i know, but that's a little time consuming and i would be forced to either take my hand off my mouse or get a little creative with one handed typing. at the moment, i just assigned ctrl+e, etc. as snap overrides (acutally most show up in the picture i posted), but just typing e for end when drawing a line would be much nicer.
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox