Author Topic: Demonstrable Bugs and Deficiencies List ( AutoCAD )  (Read 17979 times)

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
Re: Demonstrable Bugs and Deficiencies List ( AutoCAD )
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2008, 06:34:29 PM »
< .. >

I mean, look at it from my side.  A bug that constantly rears it's head, even on fresh, clean, undefiled installs with any customization < .. >

If this is the case, it is likely to be something unique to your setup, otherwise it would be more widely reported.

I'm not 'picking' on you, but I'll remind you that there are several bug categories .. your's appears to be a special case, unique to a set of circumstances. That kind is hard to find unless a differentiation of the circumstances if possible.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 06:39:27 PM by Kerry Brown »
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2008, 07:39:08 AM »
I have had this hatch problem on ADT3.3. It happened if one or more of the boundaries was part of an XREF but not everytime. It caused such a problem that I no longer use the pick point option unless I am sure that an XREF is not involved. In fact most people in my workplace don't use the pick pont method for hatching for just that reason. I just tried to reproduce it, to no avail, but I did get some long delays while AutoCAD was analyzing everything visible. Their are differences from the last time I had it happen. My puter is much better and our network has been upgraded. MEP2008 was much faster than ADT3.3 when I picked the same points in the same files.
CAD Tech

CADaver

« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2008, 08:20:42 AM »
... all I ever get is "Sorry, can't replicate the problem" which is probably what led me to be edgy on the topic... I've BEEN dealing with replies of "Sorry, can't replicate it, so I'm going to ignore you now" so to hear it again is just a blood boiler. 
Just a question.  How do you expect someone to fix a problem they can not replicate??

Josh Nieman

« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2008, 09:06:18 AM »
< .. >

I mean, look at it from my side.  A bug that constantly rears it's head, even on fresh, clean, undefiled installs with any customization < .. >

If this is the case, it is likely to be something unique to your setup, otherwise it would be more widely reported.

I'm not 'picking' on you, but I'll remind you that there are several bug categories .. your's appears to be a special case, unique to a set of circumstances. That kind is hard to find unless a differentiation of the circumstances if possible.

Dude.

Did you not see the post where I explained the vast number of users reporting their agreement to me?  That pretty much negates your statement.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2008, 09:08:00 AM »
... all I ever get is "Sorry, can't replicate the problem" which is probably what led me to be edgy on the topic... I've BEEN dealing with replies of "Sorry, can't replicate it, so I'm going to ignore you now" so to hear it again is just a blood boiler. 
Just a question.  How do you expect someone to fix a problem they can not replicate??

I didn't say I expected a magic fix.  I guess I wasn't clear, but my main frustration was that they spend all of 5 minutes (I got an email back in 10 minutes) trying, then give up. 

You know what I do expect?  I expect to be able to use my software without losing work, time, efficiency, production.  Now I understand there are exceptions.  One thing I also expect is to NOT have to be the one to do THEIR JOB and be the troubleshooter for THEM.  I don't get paid to work on THEIR SOFTWARE!!

Josh Nieman

« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2008, 09:12:36 AM »
I have had this hatch problem on ADT3.3. It happened if one or more of the boundaries was part of an XREF but not everytime. It caused such a problem that I no longer use the pick point option unless I am sure that an XREF is not involved. In fact most people in my workplace don't use the pick pont method for hatching for just that reason. I just tried to reproduce it, to no avail, but I did get some long delays while AutoCAD was analyzing everything visible. Their are differences from the last time I had it happen. My puter is much better and our network has been upgraded. MEP2008 was much faster than ADT3.3 when I picked the same points in the same files.

I had seen suggestions that echo similar sentiments, but unfortunately, a couple of the people I reported the incident from stated that they don't use XREFs (hey, not my company, not my problem! ;) ) and I kept an eye out since then, and it happens on drawings, for me, where the only xref is in paperspace (when hatching in model space) and it's just the title block containing very minimal amount of geometry.  So I'm not sure how much of that is the prob.

-----

I guess the whole process of bug reporting gets under my skin is the fact that I DONT HAVE THE TIME, nor do I get PAID to find out what THEIR problem is.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2008, 09:15:13 AM »

Josh,
Do you have an incident/Report number for this, or a record of the person you spoke to, and the date of the report ?

It as just a "private" conversation taken outside the adesk forums, and no I don't remember who it was, unfortunately, nor the date.  I did a quick search of my Outlook Inbox, and couldn't find the conversation.  Chances are I deleted it.  I keep 99% of my emails since I was hired, but it's usually only the stuff between coworkers, clients, and other similar parties.

daron

« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2008, 03:16:57 PM »
I have one for you:
Invoke a command that has a list of options, such as draworder. When done, hit enter to invoke it again. It will not show the items and will hang until you either select the screen or roll the mouse wheel or something. I've noticed this since the .NET was introduced. Often, and I know there's an issue with ACA2008 and draworder in general, but if I try to use the keyboard and the list wasn't up, it will crash autocad. As for hardware, etc. I've had this problem on multiple computers, so it's pretty persistent. Also, I have dynamic input enabled, but I'm sure that this is the problem.

CADaver

« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2008, 07:58:20 PM »

I didn't say I expected a magic fix.  I guess I wasn't clear, but my main frustration was that they spend all of 5 minutes (I got an email back in 10 minutes) trying, then give up. 
How many times should a troubleshooter try the same thing (that does not replicate your problem) before he so states?  You tell me its broken, I try it, it works for me, what next?

You know what I do expect?  I expect to be able to use my software without losing work, time, efficiency, production. 
I do so every day, and so do the several hundred designers working here

One thing I also expect is to NOT have to be the one to do THEIR JOB and be the troubleshooter for THEM.  I don't get paid to work on THEIR SOFTWARE!!
Every user is a trouble shooter because every user is a trouble maker to a large degree (no slight intended).  What works just fine on my hardware, my setup, my customizations, may not work at all on your hardware.  I can not possibly guess at all the different hardware configurations possible, so what can I do as a troubleshooter to solve a problem I can not replicate?  I troubleshoot issues for about five hundred users in this office, and another five or six hundred scattered in three other offices.  I've made sure that my machine is the lowest functioning machine in the organization, that way if it works on my machine, its probably NOT a resource issue.  But beyond that, there is little I can do from here to help with an issue I can not replicate on my machine.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2008, 08:42:49 PM »
Quote from: From the Originating post

Demonstrable Bugs and Deficiencies  List

keep to the facts, no vitreol or whinging.

I'll see what can be done about getting this list in front of someone at AutoDesk who may care.

I'm closing this thread.
I can see from posts here and at the AutoDesk Discussion Group that some people are more interested in venting than in learning how to provide an intelligently produced bug report.
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.