Author Topic: Anyone *like* 2009?  (Read 14873 times)

Anyone *like* 2009?
« on: April 02, 2008, 09:30:33 AM »
I've been perusing the other NG and have found more negative posts that positive.  A lot of them refer to crashing, the clear type fonts and sluggishness.

I just received ACA 2009 yesterday and currently don't have a test machine to install it on to kick the tires, but from what I've been reading, it doesn't sound like we'll be updating any time soon.

Oh, and there's already a hot fix issued.  IT JUST STARTED SHIPPING LATE LAST MONTH!!  Just goes to show you that it isn't fully cooked yet, I guess.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 10:23:13 PM by Mark Thomas »

Josh Nieman

Re: Anyone *like* 2009?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 09:33:53 AM »
I'm severely annoyed by their behavior, but nothing specific seems to jump to mind that would make it a BAD release, more than any other release I've had.  Yes, changes... yes I'm frustrated that they don't devote their energies to more quality, than speed...

But as usual, there are new tools, some I love, some I like, some I will probably grow to be indifferent to.

I had actually read about less crashing, but who knows... I won't know until I try it in my specific environment.  That seems to be an issue specific to each person.

I got to open the beta and play a few times, but nothing of note.  I'm still waiting on my shipment.

quamper

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 09:45:21 AM »
I haven't received my release copy.. but the Release Candidate version was pretty stable in my opinion. I didn't heavily test some of the new fancier features like the macro tools and what not.

But basic day to day functionality seemed fine to me, and it did correct some outstanding bugs that I was aware of so, I don't have any major beefs with the new release.

Oh and that hotfix is just for the license manager to implement/fix ipv6 for that specifically.. I really doubt that effects more than .5% of customers if that
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 09:49:10 AM by Quamper »

brianbreslin

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 11:28:04 AM »
Just got it, will be doing the network deployment asp. got 30 odd pc's to do, but will let you know, how it goes.

Bealerusa

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 11:32:18 AM »
Got mine on 3-31 and installed it 4-1.  I am not sure what I think, just yet.  It does *seem* a little more sluggish than '08, and I am not sure that I like the ribbon, but it hasn't crashed yet, either.  I do not consider myself a power user... but I can usually make acad do what I need it to do.  Just my cent and a half...

quamper

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 11:46:32 AM »
I am not sure that I like the ribbon

just in case you don't know, you can turn the ribbon off if you end up really not liking it and use your old toolbars

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 11:54:27 AM »
Just got it, will be doing the network deployment asp. got 30 odd pc's to do, but will let you know, how it goes.

How are you handling this - since it's quite a bit different?  Are you leaving the older version(s) installed?  What about upgrade training?  Or are you just throwing it at them to find out who will sink and who will swim?  :wink:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 10:23:33 PM by Mark Thomas »

Antisthenes

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 12:15:07 PM »
i downloaded and tried before buying 2009 architecture

i am not impressed, all the workspaces, i guess that is innovation...

Bealerusa

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 12:20:10 PM »
I am not sure that I like the ribbon

just in case you don't know, you can turn the ribbon off if you end up really not liking it and use your old toolbars

Thanks.  I haven't really dug all that deep into it.  I figure since I am willing to give the 'old college try..' and I'm not so invested that I can't change, I oughta give it a whirl before I dismiss it out of hand.  Maybe there is some good stuff in there...  allright, you can start/stop laughin anytime now

quamper

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 01:04:15 PM »
I oughta give it a whirl before I dismiss it out of hand.  Maybe there is some good stuff in there... 
The Ribbon has grown on me over time to where I like it.. I like the fact that it has 3 different states it can be in (Full/Partial/Closed) so that it's not intrusive.

But I know that some people just aren't going to want to give it a shot straight out.

"The only constant is change" eh? :D

Bealerusa

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 01:11:51 PM »
I oughta give it a whirl before I dismiss it out of hand.  Maybe there is some good stuff in there... 
The Ribbon has grown on me over time to where I like it..

"The only constant is change" eh? :D

Amen, to that..

Antisthenes

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 01:29:09 PM »
how could that be constant if there has not been change since v14?   i would say more that the constant is refreshed aesthetics for continued profit.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 01:38:35 PM »
how could that be constant if there has not been change since v14?   i would say more that the constant is refreshed aesthetics for continued profit.

no change?

Come on, that's a stretch.

quamper

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 01:50:09 PM »
I don't think the stretch command has changed since v14

Josh Nieman

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 01:57:58 PM »
I don't think the stretch command has changed since v14