Author Topic: Need Architectural Program Advice  (Read 13899 times)

Antisthenes

Re: Need Architectural Program Advice
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 05:12:23 PM »
there are scripts i have had made by the employees over at mcneel that let me export blocks out of autocad drawings to individual zoomed extents files, that works good for blocks libraries and as you probably know working off other drawings that already exist and adapting the standard per the client / job is a must always.

i have been a beta tester since 97 when it was free and i first started using it in the mechanical drafting field (where i won VICA a few years in a row then got disqualified for using AME (advanced modeling extension) if they didn't want it to be used why was it on the machines..) to make models that MDT was incapable of that is back when they went from just a autocad plugin maker (accumodel) to producing their own product to get beyond the constraints.    curves surfaces solids, solids surfaces curves and back and forth  and more surface creation tools.   I don't think i could have been happier.

also Ghery before he made his own software was using it
i saw Shop at the AIA showing how they use it in their work too.   There is defiantly a niche for it and it also can do full scale production just as well as any other i feel, even as if covers many more bases,  shoes boats cars houses furniture you name it.

Dinosaur

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 06:43:06 PM »
. . . (note, mods, may want to move this if we get too far off topic)
Well, you guys ARE wandering a bit . . . just try to remember this is in " NEW TO CAD " and that Thomas is making the jump from manual drafting.  3D modeling is great, but he might like to know some basic CAD before going for the gold.

Don't let them spook you Thomas . . . all of these alternative programs are quite good and something you might want to consider for a permanent solution.  You will be glad to know that even the Intellicad will let you create a 3D model when or if you want to give that a try

Antisthenes

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 06:59:12 PM »
you mean  rionada

I kind of wish i had board now

inverse the question what is a good board to get?

as far as basic CAD i find having a button for each command i use/need a good starting point,   those 10-16 commands

Dinosaur

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 07:23:28 PM »
you mean  rionada . . .
  :roll:
Yes, THOMAS is the person I was addressing - feel free to scroll to the bottom of his post :kewl:

rionada

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 01:03:25 AM »
Gentlemen,...Gentlemen,

I am learning alot from the technical discussion, but would also like to bring it back to earth a little.

Let me rephrase: Which program do you think is the best (easy to learn - yet powerful) for someone like me that primarily works in 2d on residential working drawings and has no experience in cad. (I am a reasonably quick learner, however - I hope).

Also, I haven't seen anything on the hardware that I should get - Is this the wrong board for this question?

A little more info: I do most of my work on the design of custom solar homes in New Mexico. I am getting tired of pencils and erasers for the working drawings, but I still enjoy doing perspectives, and interior views by hand. While having the capacity for 3d modeling would be a plus, I am most interested in a cad progarm for the 2d architectural drafting.

There are so many choices, and I've already had several recommendations - can anyone offer up the definitive solution? I'm dreaming I know, but I thought I'd ask.

Thomas

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2008, 01:09:54 AM »
I still think Softplan.

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2008, 01:14:40 AM »
Thomas
If you like green chili go with Softplan, If you like red go with Intellicad.   ;-)

Dinosaur

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 01:28:01 AM »
Sorry Thomas, I completely missed your hardware question.  For the 2D work you have been describing, you can get by quite nicely with a pretty low end system that will be more than adequate for the Intellicad we discussed or similar.  A desktop in the $600-$700 US range would do nicely.  A 17" or 19" LCD would likely be less than $200 with some shopping around and there are some good laser printers now available in the same price range.  Most of the big box stores will have a package deal available that may be even less and there are also some well known mail order proprietary builders offering packages too.  If you think there is a possibly of having to go on site and have need of your computer, a good laptop will run a little more but could save you the difference by eliminating some extra travel back to the office.  You can still plug a good monitor, keyboard and mouse into them at the office for ease of use.  You will also eventually want to think about some kind of external storage in lieu of burning CDs and a large spare hard drive in an enclosure may run $150 to $200.

minimum specs to look for either desktop or laptop:
core 2 duo processor
2 GB ddr2 memory
100gb 7200 rpm hard drive (250gb on a desktop)
upgraded video would be nice on a desktop but not a deal breaker for 2D work - laptops will likely not give you any options

rionada

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2008, 10:24:21 PM »
Thanks Everyone,

I am seeing mostly Intellicad, and some Softplan, and some Rhino. Reading between the lines - there are also some Autocad fans.

Intellicad
Softplan
Rhino
Autocad Lt

I have visited each of the websites associated with above products and aside from the 3d emphasis of Rhino - I don't detect much difference. (partly, I'm sure, because I am so unfamilliar with the products).

Is there a website that does a good job of comparing and contrasting these programs? (That would save you all from enduring my many questions).

Are there any small time architects like me out there that use any of these or others that could make a recommendation?

Still trying to sort it all out.

Thomas

architecture68-raff

• Swamp Rat
  • Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K.
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2008, 11:20:52 PM »
I have found that architects and/or draftsmen seem to pick up CAD quicker and more efficiently if they draw ordinary lines and circles when beginning CAD as opposed to using a BIM or modeling technique you see in products like Revit or even Softplan.  You have been drawing primitive lines for all these years, so doing so electronically will ease you into the digital era.  Once you have learned the ins and outs of the digital workflow, you could then advance further into BIM or modeling programs that take advantage of your newly acquired knowledge. 

I have witnessed several small architectural firms waste thousands of dollars on software licenses that go unused after trying to leave the old fashioned drawing boards.  I think that in many cases, they were trying to learn too many things at once, and that is why they ultimately failed.  The biggest hurdle, in my opinion, is becoming used to producing a full set of plans electronically - it's kind of a mindset you need to acquire.  Once you have that down, learning the specific syntax of one piece of software or another is easy.

I would recommend Autocad LT for you, as it could do everything you need.  But if you have the funds available, a product like Autocad Architecture would allow future expansion for modeling and customization once you become proficient.  Intellicad wouldn't be a bad choice either if you were trying to save some money.  Of course this is just my opinion - you may find otherwise.  We have had licenses of Softplan, Chief Architect, Datacad, and Archicad throughout the years, but in our case they are all sitting in a cabinet somewhere not being used now.  For the most part, they are all fully capable but we just can't depart from Autocad.

Also I would steer way clear of Rhino in your case....it's not a bad program but in all honesty it probably shouldn't have even been mentioned in this realm
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 12:50:41 AM by architecture68-raff »
Chicago, Illinois
ADT 2005, Revit Architecture 2009, Sketchup 7

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2008, 11:26:38 PM »
Oooooo..  Great point on the line drawing to line drawing thing there Raff.  I hadn't thought of it that way. 

Of course you CAN draw lines and other shapes in SP and then the other stuff would be there when you are ready to explore it.  But given the cost difference and that you  have said you are mostly interested in mainly 3d drafting.... I agree with Raff on LT. 

architecture68-raff

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2008, 11:40:40 PM »
Oooooo..  Great point on the line drawing to line drawing thing there Raff.  I hadn't thought of it that way. 
People of my generation (and probably most of yours) have never had it any other way then digital, so it's nothing new to us.  But for the old-timers out there, it really does seem to ease their transition in my experience.  All of the architects in my office were of the old-fart variety up until about five years ago, so I know from 1st hand experience.

I agree with Raff on LT.
Never thought you'd say that, but I'm glad you agree.  As I've said before, Softplan is quite capable in my experience - rionada might find that it is the right choice for him.  I can also attest to Softplan's loyal and helpful user base.
Chicago, Illinois

Dinosaur

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2008, 11:45:16 PM »
 :-o
I am Scathed . . . SCATHED, I tell you!  :lmao:

One final word in support of Intellicad . . . CUSTOMIZATIONS  I have never had the misfortune of working CAD without a nice library of lisp routines and I don't want to think about trying it or recomending it for anyone else.  LT can do scripts and macros, but he would be missing out on some serious time and sanity savers with LT and there would be no hope of adding an architectural design application  as is available for Intellicad.  Yeah, I know that was several words . . . i promise to leave some out of my next post.  :angel:

Antisthenes

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2008, 12:11:23 PM »
i fully disagree about LT.  you would be wasting money on a inferior product when you could get all it's functionality and more out of IntelliCad

again i am going to stick up for Rhinoceros and say it can and does do architecture better than autocad can in the traditional sence and if you do go to BIM there is a plug-in for architecture called visualarq  as well as a plug-in called Archcut.   

as somebody in need of electronic drawing application i would grantee you will be able to get around better in this product not only because of features like auto command completing and the excellent help and support  but that it offers great interoperability (this is a key word when working with consultants)

here are some customer stories, you can add your own as a newbie to CAD that would be most excellent 
http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.aspx/McNeel/CustomerStoriesArchitecture.html

Learn more about Rhino in Architecture at these events:
Mar 28 - Explicit History workshop

Mar 31-Apr 01 - RhinoScript workshop

Apr 7-9 - The Mathematics of Aesthetics, RhinoScript Master Class

Apr 7-9 - 3D-Modelling Symposium. Sophisticated Tools in Architecture, Design and Engineering - Call for papers

Apr 9-10 - ParaCloud Professional workshop
Barcelona, Spain
Apr 9-11 - New Strategies, Contemporary Techniques. International Architecture conference.

May 12-13 - VisMasters Design Modeling and Visualization Conference

Sep 13-16 - Advances in Architectural Geometry - Call for papers

PS be careful of anybody who uses the word SHOULD, because that is ampstrapche, a bureaucratic language that denies choice.   

oh and here is a free download of ProgeCAD 2006 LT,  http://www.softsea.com/review/ProgeCAD-LT-2006.html

keep us informed on what you try and what you choose or if you need a example file, libraries of already drawn details and example projects to work from are very important i would imagine for you just starting.

architecture68-raff

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2008, 01:08:04 PM »
 :lmao:   ^^^^

I agree that Intellicad flavors make sense to someone who is proficient in the CAD world - but remember that the OP is completely new to the game.  He's not going to be able to walk into a bookstore and find books on Intellicad...yes Intellicad are very similar to Autocad but little differences here and there might be enough to frustrate a beginner.  He might mention to a client or associate that he's now using Intellicad, and he'd probably get a blank "deer in headlights" stare.  Personally, I'm not a fan of LT either, but I'm just trying to give some honest advice.

I'm not sure why I'm wasting my time responding to your never-ending Rhino promotions....but here goes
I know that Rhino is currently used by a very limited number of architectural firms, but trying to advise newcomers with empty guarentees of success and CAD bliss is really a disservice.

To be honest, the majority of architectural work I've seen done with Rhino is produced by "bow-tie" architects - projects that will never be built, or are immensely complicated beyond their worth come to mind.  I have nothing but the most respect for architects like Frank Gehry.  But my opinion, if you're doing residential work and require NURBS-based modeling, then you're doing something wrong. 

If I wanted to play a game of Windows Minesweeper, I wouldn't go out and buy an 8-core Mac Pro to run bootcamp on.  Sure, it might impress my friends, but in the end I am paying for a product that isn't designed for my goals and am jumping through hoops trying to make it work for me.   I hope they are compensating you fairly, Antisthenes.  From my observation of this and other forums, it must be like having a second full-time job for you.

Chicago, Illinois