Author Topic: My 2009 has arrived...  (Read 7024 times)

whdjr

Re: My 2009 has arrived...
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2008, 10:35:52 AM »
Anybody using '09 and earlier versions, are they playing nicely together?

sinc

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2008, 12:37:18 PM »
Well, Autodesk still has the "Autodesk Sabotage" - er, I mean the "Autodesk Shared" directory.  Whenever you install something from any version, it might overwrite things in here, which is the root cause of a lot of these issues.

They've been getting somewhat better with this over the years, but as long as they still have a single "Autodesk Shared" directory that is shared between all releases of Autocad, there will probably continue to be some measure of issues.  They don't seem to be as bad as they used to be, but there's still weird "quirks".

Because of past experience, I actually have not yet tried installing the 2009 beta on a production machine - I'm using it in a VM.  But if it's like 2008, there will probably be a few "quirks", but hopefully nothing major.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2008, 05:02:30 PM »
Finally was able to get a repair installation done.

It was giving me tons of errors when trying to Change/Remove the installation via control panel, and even botched the 08 file!

Luckily one of the Autodesk folks that apparently screwed up at work and was condemned to helping on the Newsgroups and walked me through a fix:

Code: [Select]
Could you try temporarily setting the tmp folder to a different folder, and then try a Repair on AutoCAD? Here are the steps for setting the tmp folder to a different folder -

1.       In the start menu or desktop, right-click on My Computer (or the computer name) and select properties.

2.       Click on “Advanced” tab and click on “Environment Variables” button.

3.       In the user variables section, note down the value of TMP (store it somewhere so that it can be reestablished later)

4.       Change the value of above TMP variable to C:\Temp\<UserName> say.

5.       Now go to the Control Panel and try to Repair AutoCAD

6.       If successful, reestablish TMP.

That fixed a LITTLE bit of the speed issues at startup/closing, and more importantly, "PROPERTIES" is working as it should, so far.  I still have other issues that had nothing to do with this problem, obviously, but at least this anomaly is remedied.

ReneRam

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2008, 07:23:12 PM »
Anybody using '09 and earlier versions, are they playing nicely together?

2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009. All together on the same machine (network licensing => the first one in gets the best  :kewl:)

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2008, 07:29:38 PM »
ACA 2009 just arrived. 
I will sit on it for a week or two and let Josh find and work out the bugs for me.
Thanks Josh!  What a pal!
 :evil: 
:-D

**Sorry could not resist**
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2008, 08:54:28 PM »
it appears we both used the packaged Migration Utility to transfer settings from ACAD2008...
I did a clean install and the alt key is screwy but the ctl tab is good, (thank goodness.) so they have messed something up. I also had to copy the express folder as the admin image seems to put it in the wrong spot.

Man refedit is slowwwwwwwwwww.

KewlToyZ

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2008, 01:29:02 PM »
Do not use the same folders for customizations between the interfaces you listed above.
It will result in issues where cui, atc, xpg, and many lisp routines are involved.

I'm still trying to track down the issues with the publish/plotting.
Mainly all of the sheets are shifte right an inch cutting off part of the TB's.
Startup is slow, turning off tons of eye candy items.
I like the Quick Toolbar and it is customizeable.
But if you for some reason don't have any toolbars up,
your going to be at it for quite awhile finding a way to make any of them appear.

Making my reg file to disable the communication center for sure.
Major network slow downs involved there for little value added in production.

I have 2007, 2008, 2009 on two machines.
Just un-installed 07 products on one.
DO NOT USE THE MIGRATION SETUP!!!
Will hose everything, it is useless.

Annotation Scaling.... anyone use this quite a bit?
I found it was over complicating too many things so I disable it as much as possible.
Maybe I am getting too old school.

Nice shading of the toolbar feature, but it doesn't work on the one item it was needed to: the tool palettes.
Everything else is superfluous.
The only time I was ever asked about the windows tool area background shading was the tool palettes on repeated occasions by users. Makes me laugh that it doesn't work where everyone asked but does anywhere else.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2008, 01:31:59 PM »
I learned the hard way about migration, but man.. I've used it without complication the past two releases... but oh well.

KewlToyZ

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2008, 01:46:47 PM »
I have too many customizations in place, always makes the whole thing sort of fetal postion and sweep any functionality under the rug, then say "OK, all done." when in fact it wasted the palette groups in all 3 versions installed lol!
Oh and nothing worked right.
I had to re copy all of my customizations back to previous, delete all of the profiles it created and in general just go manual with all of it.