Author Topic: My 2009 has arrived...  (Read 7023 times)

Josh Nieman

Re: My 2009 has arrived...
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 09:04:18 AM »
Let's hope that the power grid doesn't fail, just to be safe.

It's ok, I know unix so well I can click on a goofy looking GUI where it says "click here to lock all doors"

Yea... I'm kind of a genius.

Draftek

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 04:18:36 PM »
DAMN!

Just when I think I'm the funniest person I know - the last 6 posts are brilliant....

I bow to you all!

deegeecees

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 04:21:42 PM »
...still chuckling...

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 02:31:56 PM »
Alt+f11 is the keyboard shortcut for vbaide (Getting into vba).
2009 is getting jittery as soon as you hit Alt, the cursor goes away and the shortcut doesn't work, however if you press the alt key a second time and then the f11 (while holding it down) everything is good.
There's something in that Alt key that scares acad.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 04:53:37 PM »
Alt always did things with your cursor in AutoCAD; ...alt was always used for accessing menu's.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

daron

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 06:03:15 PM »
But mickeysoft likes to make adjustments to their platform so you have to turn the ability to use alt on. Check and see if "Hide underlined letters for keyboard navigation until I press the Alt key", under Effects, under Appearance of the Properties dialog of windows is toggled on. That could be one problem. Then I'm sure with a new version of ACAD, there are more joyous wonders to find.

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2008, 09:47:08 PM »
Seven I found the cursor stays visible (after pressing Alt) for 2004,2006,2007,2008. However an arrow does appear at the center of the cursor as well.
In 2009 the cursor disappears as Alt takes the focus off screen and moving the mouse you will see it appear in the command line or in the properties window, when you guide that arrow back on screen you still need to hit Alt again before  alt & F11 works
Daron it is toggled on.

KewlToyZ

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2008, 11:21:40 AM »
What about Rhino .. would it be a good alternative?
If your are doing a load of rapid prototype 3D modeling, Rhino is an awsome platform.
Nurbs modeling is very fast.
I use Rhino for video game design hobbies.
I also used it for handling 3d design and automation in a marine accessory manufacturing environment.
Anything from enclosures to tuna towers I was designing with it then having the system export to a plotter cutter to make patterns, cut fabrics etc...
Really did a nice job creating sales renders on the fly as well.

You will need industry specific add ons depending upon what you are trying to do with Rhino but I still love their modeling environment.
Very fast and intuitive once you get used to it. If you think in 3D I prefer it over AutoCAD.

I got MEP 2009 on April 1st.
The ribbon is an interesting feature, but I have to say, the environment change worries me.
Such a dramatic interface change is difficult to implement in an environment where people depend on things being where they always were.
Not sure I want to force this on my Engineers.
The interface is a resource hog with the quick properties enabled.
I'm going to finish reinventing my custom interface in it and start investigating its key feature additions.
Even then, I may just have a few users on it in a strictly voluntary beta testing.
The cui constantly hangs and doesn't reflect my changes often, fatal errors for no reason.
Not very wieldy, and the palette groups can disapear without any warning.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 11:30:13 AM by KewlToyZ »

Antisthenes

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2008, 02:16:19 PM »
MEP Revit?

Ya the amount of different things you can do with Rhino with more ease and power, i am very impressed as well

good to see not everybody is anti-Rhinoceros here  KewlToyZ

Josh Nieman

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 02:28:11 PM »
The fact that you see everything as either pro or anti-rhino says so much.

KewlToyZ

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2008, 03:02:07 PM »
MEP Revit?
Ya the amount of different things you can do with Rhino with more ease and power, i am very impressed as well
good to see not everybody is anti-Rhinoceros here  KewlToyZ

We have the Revit MEP package, honestly, Revit is extremely costly to startup and very difficult to train for.
Have to completely wipe out all CAD experience to adopt the Revit approach.
Also it would appear we can't begin work until the initial Arch design is completed so it isn't very time convenient.
There may be workarounds in place, but over all acceptance isn't very high with my people.
We also have budget constraints that just don't seem to play out very well considering the production life cycle for Revit yet.
I say yet because it is an intelligent design approach with projected savings and benefits on the back end.
Still very tough to take the leap.

MEP, we still find basic AutoCAD use with it to be the main focus.
Refining the content libraries and template file for our own standards is still in progress for 2008.

The fact is with projects fluctuating so much in their phase and scope of handling,
standard CAD procedures are a crutch I do not have any reason to release yet.
Employee turnover is another reason, we have quite a few Engineers doing a revolving door with us over the past 2 years.
What is ironic is most of them are coming back because they are finding they took far too much for granted with us.

Rhino has a specific nitch and it does very well there.
At the time I began using it was 3.0.
In that time period it was not the best thing for basic mechanical orthographic drafting unless you purchased an add on.
Mainly the dimensioning wasn't as good as AutoCAD.
For 2D work AutoCAD was my preference, still is.
When it comes to 3D though, I'll take Rhino over 3DS Max & AutoCAD.
I just find the environment easier to work with.
McNeel did a great job designing the platform.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 03:08:18 PM by KewlToyZ »

Antisthenes

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2008, 04:35:46 PM »
I agree

i can imagine how hard it is to switch to Revit as i know a few offices who failed at it and the place i am at now is so big it is not worth even considering based on the risk.  Only on a per project basis and for new federal work that mandates a BIM model.

I find it very valuable to have experience and know so many tools so i can give a more honest basis of them and their advantages and disadvantages for our work.

1/2 way threw the beta of v4 is when i made the switch to using Rhino more than other tools for 2d and not only 3d.
V5 is coming very soon,  the real time shading will really give me the boost i need to help a few people get past the limitations in sketchup.

KewlToyZ

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2008, 04:54:23 PM »
What industry are you using it in?
Are they still using the hardware locks with v4?

Antisthenes

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2008, 05:13:23 PM »
architecture?

facilities and custom green build

I have never known v4 to have a lock,  I have heard the asian version has a hardware lock.  I still have 2 3ds4 hardware locks...

Josh Nieman

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2008, 04:13:12 PM »
My Autocad shipment has just arrived!

Apprehensive, but more excited to install it.  I think I'll upgrade now.

*edit*

While I install...

What the heck is up with these Flash Cards they are shipping now for the new features?

I feel like I'm back in elementary school learning my multiplication tables.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 04:18:18 PM by Josh Nieman »