Author Topic: CAN I DISABLE THE EXPLODE COMMAND??  (Read 9727 times)

STEVEDALLAS

CAN I DISABLE THE EXPLODE COMMAND??
« on: March 26, 2008, 01:01:40 PM »
I hate the explode command!
Yes, sometimes it is needed.
I always get cad operators using it at the "drop of a hat". AARRRGGGHHH!

I can see using "xplode", so id "explode" is used an alert pops up.

any ideas?

deegeecees

Re: CAN I DISABLE THE EXPLODE COMMAND??
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 01:03:45 PM »
undefine

STEVEDALLAS

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 01:45:29 PM »
thank you

KewlToyZ

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 01:47:49 PM »
placing it into the enterprise mnl file?

STEVEDALLAS

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 01:56:26 PM »
That's what i'm doing.

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 05:20:56 PM »
create your blocks and put them into a palette and set it to not allow exploding?

have them stay after work until they finish writing do not explode blocks 300 times on a piece of paper!!!

CADaver

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 11:00:00 PM »
I once redefined the explode command to save the file to a different location, erase everything, save it over the old file and exit.  Every time they tried to explode something, it killed AutoCAD and emptied their drawing.

Bob Wahr

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 11:02:56 PM »
I explode stuff daily.

uncoolperson

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 11:41:43 PM »
my explode command (actually the drafters i work with, because of me) draws a grdraw explosion as a reminder that explode is bad.

Bethrine

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 12:45:04 AM »
I once redefined the explode command to save the file to a different location, erase everything, save it over the old file and exit.  Every time they tried to explode something, it killed AutoCAD and emptied their drawing.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: You would've done me in months ago!

Ahem, <mouse-like in the corner and vewy, vewy quietly..."why is explode bad?" I use it a lot and never have a problem. I redefine blocks all the time too. <raises force field quickly>

Josh Nieman

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 08:59:52 AM »
I use explode all the danged time.

It's just a tool.

Bob Wahr

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 11:46:48 AM »
my explode command (actually the drafters i work with, because of me) draws a grdraw explosion as a reminder that explode is bad.
Explode used when it shouldn't be is a bad thing.  I'm a big boy, I know when I need to explode something, and why.  Programming to force good behavior on bad drafters is a bad thing.  Teaching them to do things correctly and explaining to them why it's the correct way is a lot better.  You don't have to dummy proof your system if you do your best to ensure that the people manipulating your drawings aren't dummies.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 11:51:07 AM »
I think Bob wins this thread.

The guys here exploded stuff freely before I got here.  I'd seen of many ways to prevent this the hard way... I find that's childish, immature, and disrespectful to my coworkers.  I have more respect for their ability to learn than that.  I'd rather explain scenarios and the effects they may not have encountered or forseen yet.

By remapping their explode command, you end up with mindless drones who only know not to hit the button because of some weird voodoo magic, and thus haven't learned a thing, or worse, find a way to work around it and do it anyways without you knowing... by teaching my users the purpose why explode can be dangerous, they now are knowledgeable enough to use the tool properly, and eliminate the danger, while still ensuring their documents are as intelligent, associative, reliable, or reusable as ever despite them needing to explode something from time to time.

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 11:53:51 AM »
i agree with bob you shouldn't have to disable any command but rather you should train people and if they do not follow your rules then fire them. i don't know what the job market is like outside of nyc but here decent drafters are a dime a dozen so finding a replacement for a jackass is not a huge deal. finding a senior draftsman can be difficult but someone just to do basic stuff, no.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 11:55:45 AM »
i agree with bob you shouldn't have to disable any command but rather you should train people and if they do not follow your rules then fire them. i don't know what the job market is like outside of nyc but here decent drafters are a dime a dozen so finding a replacement for a jackass is not a huge deal. finding a senior draftsman can be difficult but someone just to do basic stuff, no.

Definitely not what it's like around here!  We can't find -any- drafters.  Of course the boss's aren't as pro-active about the search as I wish they'd be, or as they need to be, with engineers OR drafters, but they're just aren't too much to be spoken of, around here, compared to the jobs available.