Author Topic: Google SketchUp?  (Read 4334 times)

cornbread

Google SketchUp?
« on: May 21, 2008, 03:35:25 PM »
Any of you guys played with Googel SketchUp at all? What do you guys think of it?
http://sketchup.google.com/product/gsu.html

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
Re: Google SketchUp?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 03:52:20 PM »
I like it to using a crayon instead of a pencil and ruler. Its nice for MASSING (which is what Arch's do with buildings -- they look to see if a new building will fit into the existing development overall ``look / decor''-). Other then that its pretty useless in the engineering field (other then the pretty picture thing that is).

In sketchup, you cant really draw exact like in CAD packages. -i.e. draw a 8" wall 100'-0" long. It takes a bit more work to get a dimensioable space; draw then go back to re-stretch to a specific dimension. Although i hear that you can import a 2d AutoCAD dwg and `extrude' the walls so that sounds kinda cool.

Short answer: *meh*
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

daron

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 04:59:32 PM »
I'd guess that's why the name is "sketch"up.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 05:28:08 PM »
Works great for presentation drawings.  Fast and can be a lot more accurate then the other guys are giving it credit for.  Once you learn it (imagine that!) you can do quite a lot with it.

I've posted some pictures of stuff I've made here on the swamp.

architecture68-raff

• Swamp Rat
  • Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 05:32:21 PM »
We use it all the time to help clients who can't visualize spaces based on plan views.  It's also nice that you can make quick and dirty 3D presentations which impress clients.  The product is in use by many architectural firms I deal with for these reasons.

As long as you don't think of it as a CAD package, you won't be disappointed.

Chicago, Illinois
ADT 2005, Revit Architecture 2009, Sketchup 7

FengK

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 07:06:04 PM »

Any links of your pictures? I did a search and didn't find any. Thanks.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 01:14:11 PM »

Any links of your pictures? I did a search and didn't find any. Thanks.

I think most are in the "What are you working on?" thread.

M-dub

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 01:17:10 PM »
I tried Sketchup last night and thought it was pretty sweet!  I only got about an hour into it though, but yeah... Pretty good!

glee

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 04:27:52 PM »
It's a good conceptual design tool.  Quick and dirty.  You can input dimensional information into it if you want better accuracy.
Plus there are tons of other sketchup models freely available to help you populate your model for added "realism".  It's rendering engine is really simple but I like it that way.  There's no mistaking that the model is a sketch and not a completed design.  Gives you room to keep designing as opposed to locking in the design if it looks too polished and complete. 

I have seen some architectural firms design high rise hotels, etc with it.  Obviously they are not using the model for CDs. 
used properly it's a really cool tool.  If you expect too much from it, well then you can't help but be disappointed.