Author Topic: ISO to 3D  (Read 3519 times)

M-dub

ISO to 3D
« on: April 25, 2008, 04:02:38 PM »
Please don't shoot me for asking.  :laugh:

I know ISO ISN'T 3D, but is there a way to use an ISO to create a 3D drawing?  I doubt it but I thought I'd try some float fishin'.  Water's pretty calm today.

CADaver

Re: ISO to 3D
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 06:36:47 PM »
Please don't shoot me for asking.  :laugh:

I know ISO ISN'T 3D, but is there a way to use an ISO to create a 3D drawing?  I doubt it but I thought I'd try some float fishin'.  Water's pretty calm today.
geez, I wouldn't know where to start even thinking about that one ... ....  ouch, make it stop ....

Bob

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 02:45:55 AM »
If anything, its a little tougher than creating one from a 2d drawing.

You will be starting from scratch as you don't have orthogonal views to get true dimensions.

M-dub

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 07:39:25 AM »
geez, I wouldn't know where to start even thinking about that one ... ....  ouch, make it stop ....

I know, I know...
I figured I already 'knew' the answer already, but wondered if some lisping genius figured it out somehow....

Forget I asked... :)

deegeecees

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 09:58:00 AM »
Did you say something?

SEANT

• Bull Frog
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 10:34:59 AM »
I do have a VBA routine that may make the process marginally easier.  I say “marginal” because it can only deal with Iso geometry aligned to one of the three orthographic planes(XY, XZ, YZ).  The routine will convert this geometry back to its orthographic counterpart for subsequent use with the Solid Modeler.  There is some additional overhead as the iso geometry must be converted to “Regions” to be compatible with the routine.  Regrettably, the routine will only convert isocircles to ellipses with a Radius Ratio of 1.  Damn, perhaps I should have used a phrase less impressive than “marginally easier”.  :-)

In any event, the attached drawing is an example of the general idea.   
Sean Tessier
AutoCAD 2016 Mechanical