Author Topic: LT Add-on, 3rd Party software  (Read 103281 times)

Kate M

Re: LT Add-on, 3rd Party software
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 04:09:56 PM »
"Kate?!  Oh, Kaaaate!"   :)

Right now, I know about as much as you guys. :-) Although RK's quote was pretty persuasive. I may be able to speak more authoritatively in a few weeks.

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 04:13:08 PM »
These kinds of polls are so easy for me to answer.  :-)

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 05:35:58 PM »
Quote from: craigr
I am not very good with Legal Talk -
So does this mean I shouldn't be using a 'batch' program? It IS external to my AutoCAD.
craigr

I think my last line sums it up....

Regarding a BAT file, no. I'm pretty sure Autodesk is talking about bypassing the features in LT that prohibit external lisp and ARX from running.

Realistically, I don't think there has ever been a case where Autodesk has went after (and much less tried to prosecute) an end user. They have went after the creators of these add-on's though.

I guess if someone feels comfortable doing it - then so be it.
Personally, If I needed full ACAD in my business, that is the tool I would get.
Let's face it, people are using LT with the add-on to save maybe a couple of thousand...?
A good business plan would include a way to purchase the right tools for the job.

craigr

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 05:40:31 PM »
'A good business plan would include a way to purchase the right tools for the job'

But I HAVE used the back side of a screwdriver as a hammer before. :)

craigr

Bob Wahr

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 05:42:03 PM »
If you were framing a house, I bet you'd buy a hammer though.

Gazza

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 06:07:44 PM »
Let's face it, people are using LT with the add-on to save maybe a couple of thousand...?
A good business plan would include a way to purchase the right tools for the job.

Yes but if were a couple of million you might think again and most good business plans
include keeping running costs in check!

Bob Wahr

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2008, 06:17:04 PM »
most good business plans also include a high level of legality.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2008, 06:20:30 PM »

Yes but if were a couple of million you might think again and most good business plans
include keeping running costs in check!

Couple million?  Doubtful.  That would have to be at least 650 seats, assuming you don't get any kind of bulk discount.

That's a lot of seats.

Gazza

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2008, 07:09:22 PM »
most good business plans also include a high level of legality.

Suggesting some kind of illegality is reckless.

Image similar restrictions in the Microsoft EULA.

How legal do you think that would be and how much do you think they
would be fined by the EU?

The linking to LT or any other programme for that matter is completely legal and
encouraged under the law. It's what some call progress.

Suggestion that hacking LT to enable some hidden functions is also a fallacy.
There is no lisp hidden in LT. The modern add on product create all of their
functionality from the ground up and simply link to LT to get the job done.

Would you consider linking excel to LT illegal?

Bob Wahr

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2008, 08:16:07 PM »
The modern add on product create all of their
functionality from the ground up and simply link to LT to get the job done.
If that's the case, I see no problem with it.  As I stated from the beginning, that isn't my understanding although, as I said, it has been several years since I looked into this subject in any kind of depth.  If on the other hand, it isn't the case, then I believe there would be some copyright issues.  May well be anyway depending on how it's done although that would be one for the courts to decide.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2008, 10:09:29 PM »
From section 3.2.7b of the AutoCAD LT 2008 EULA

Quote from: AutoCAD LT 2008 EULA
You may not utilize any equipment, device, software or other means designed to circumvent or remove any usage restrictions, or to enable functionality disabled by Autodesk in connection with the Excluded Materials.
Quote from: AutoCAD LT 2008 EULA
“Excluded Materials” means any programs, modules, components or functionality, if any, that may be included on media or with materials delivered to You that are not within the License Parameters as described in the User Documentation, or for which You have not paid the applicable fees.

Yep, that smells about right!
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2008, 10:15:10 PM »

True! And at a framers salary you could afford to spend $40 on a good hammer. But what if you were a lowly drafter trying to start out on your own, would you have $5000-$8000 to plop down on ONE seat of software?
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

pmvliet

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2008, 10:29:01 PM »

True! And at a framers salary you could afford to spend $40 on a good hammer. But what if you were a lowly drafter trying to start out on your own, would you have $5000-$8000 to plop down on ONE seat of software?

Took me a while to buy my one seat of Autocad (full version).
I bought LT for $600 and used that for four years.
I still didn't have the job requirements that required me to get full version other
then I was teaching at AU and thought, this might be a good thing to have...

Pieter

Bob Wahr

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2008, 11:23:02 PM »

If I were a framer who was starting my own company, I would buy a hell of a lot more than a hammer and spend a hell of a lot more than $8k.  Starting a business requires capital.  Starting a business without sufficient capital is why such an incredibly high percentage of companies fail in the first year.

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2008, 08:12:36 AM »
Quote from: Bob Wahr
If I were a framer who was starting my own company, I would buy a hell of a lot more than a hammer and spend a hell of a lot more than $8k.  Starting a business requires capital.  Starting a business without sufficient capital is why such an incredibly high percentage of companies fail in the first year.

I was about to reply, then I scrolled down and read this.
That pretty much sums up what I was going to say!

I participate in another forum made up primarily of professionals in a certain industry.
These members often gripe about how they should be respected as a profession and people should not question their fees. These SAME people are the first to stand up and gripe about the cost of computers and software. It's amazing how some people don't have a problem charging a client big bucks, but spend hours looking for free software....