Author Topic: Visual basic Tutorial  (Read 3804 times)

Shade

Visual basic Tutorial
« on: March 10, 2008, 01:35:08 PM »
Is there any good Visual basic Tutorial sites related to Autocad besides this one ;)?

I would like to take a stab a VB but as it relates to autocad.

Help is appreciated... :mrgreen:

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
Re: Visual basic Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 02:05:26 PM »
VB or VBA?
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 02:08:07 PM »
I ask b/c there is a huge difference, and since you posted in the VBA area, but put VB, I wanted to clarify.  If you did mean VBA, there are a series of tutorials here at the swamp here.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Shade

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 02:08:47 PM »
VB or VBA?

VBA I think, what is the difference?

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 02:11:40 PM »
That is a very good question.  VBA is by far MUCH easier to learn if you are just starting off.  What is your level of experience coding thus far?  VB would be the new .Net language, which is much more difficult to learn if you have no experience at all.  You would first need to learn how VB works in general, and then apply the API from Autocad to the VB you have learned. 

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 02:13:20 PM »
VBA is "inside" of Autocad and can be accessed by hitting Alt-F11.  VB is a stand alone program that you would need to acquire, be it the free Express version or the pay for Standard version or higher.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 02:14:43 PM »
-IF- you're going after VBA, I highly recommend the tutorials that CmdrDuh BobWahr, and I think Keith, iirc, have supplied theswamp with.  I was beginning mainly fresh, and they were a valuable supplement to my usual, sloppy, haphazard methods of chopping/hacking/cut-pasting/my way through existing code to dissect it's function...

Thorough, succinct, detailed, and easy to follow even for newbs like me.

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 02:15:14 PM »
If you want to start off with VBA, This Thread has the current tutorial documents that various members have contributed.

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 02:16:52 PM »
Hey Josh, did you ever get started on learning C#?

Josh Nieman

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 02:21:53 PM »
Hey Josh, did you ever get started on learning C#?

I had begun, but lately my lunch breaks were filled with running errands or meeting with clients, so I had taken not gotten past the first couple exercises.  I am going through the beginner tutorials/guides/exercises that the Microsoft Visual C# 2008 Express Edition comes with.

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 05:18:38 PM »
cool.