Author Topic: 3D Model Request - Crane  (Read 10173 times)

Josh Nieman

3D Model Request - Crane
« on: March 07, 2008, 04:30:06 PM »
Wondering if anyone has any junkyard crane type of machinery models I can use, such as in the attached or larger...

I'm currently scouring the online world for something free.  Unfortunately I need to upload more models to http://3dcadbrowser.com/ as I'm out of available downloads.  Turbosquid has some awesome ones but unfortunately... heh... not free. 

Anyone got a helping hand?

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
Re: 3D Model Request - Crane
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 04:46:14 PM »
what we need are the specs, then we could just create it for you
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Josh Nieman

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 04:50:41 PM »
what we need are the specs, then we could just create it for you

yea, well I could do that, really... It's purely presentational, just something roughly similar to this type of machine.  I'm doing a project to design a visual and sound abatement wall to encompass the perimeter of a steel recycling plant such as the one shown in this photo from a similar job we bid.

It's mainly to show scale of the scene, and populate the area with something to fill it and give a better sense of size, space, and make it "fit" in with everything.

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 04:56:03 PM »
ok, if you gave me the basic dimensions I could make a crane model for you
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Josh Nieman

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 05:02:19 PM »
ok, if you gave me the basic dimensions I could make a crane model for you

wow.

They're typically about the same type as that photo shows, always a claw... never see those cool magnetic ones, heh. 

Axel to Axel about 12' probably similar overall width... I'm just eye balling from the photo, to be honest... is there anything you'd need, specifically?  I'm just going by the photo for reference.  The guy that went to the site said they have almost exactly the same equipment as the place depicted in this photo.

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 05:28:39 PM »
try this

Josh Nieman

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 05:33:19 PM »
Awesome, that gives me a great starting point.  I definitely appreciate your help!  You're always so ready and willing to help... you're too cool, man.

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 05:45:13 PM »
i didn't curve any of the corners, figureing you could add to this and move forward with the extra detail.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 05:57:06 PM »
i didn't curve any of the corners, figureing you could add to this and move forward with the extra detail.

Yea, I will probably work on it later... that's one of the last things to do since it's just lagniappe...

I actually found a model just before you posted yours, but it's a sketchup file format and I don't have an exporter that'll translate the .skp files to anything Autocad can handle... the free version of Sketchup doesn't allow any file exporting..

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 10:17:54 AM »
glad it worked

Josh Nieman

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 02:10:39 PM »
Thanks again for your effort CmdrDuh, but that model I had ended up finding on the 3D Model Warehouse for Google Sketchup ended up being the biggest time saver.

GregB generously converted the .SKP file to a DWG and DXF for me.

I've attached the file, in the case that anyone searches and finds this, by some odd chance.

It created a file with all the triangles as 3DFaces and all on layer 0, with the color set per object, not bylayer.  It retained the colors from the .SKP file.  Faces are block'd per object in the assembly, roughly, with some combined into one large block.  Ended up being 3 blocks total, for the whole crane.  I cleaned it up a bit, created 4 basic layers, for no purpose other than because I prefer attaching materials ByLayer in Autocad, except special cases, and this isn't anything going for photorealism.

No materials included, just the model... hadn't gotten that far yet... waiting for the go ahead from the client to 'ok' my ideas before I charge more time to the job... but the boss is optimistic that it's just what they were looking for.

*edit* deleted attachment, see update in post below */edit*
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 03:18:02 PM by Josh Nieman »

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 03:05:40 PM »
Thanks again for your effort CmdrDuh, but that model I had ended up finding on the 3D Model Warehouse for Google Sketchup ended up being the biggest time saver.

GregB generously converted the .SKP file to a DWG and DXF for me.

I've attached the file, in the case that anyone searches and finds this, by some odd chance.

It created a file with all the triangles as 3DFaces and all on layer 0, with the color set per object, not bylayer.  It retained the colors from the .SKP file.  Faces are block'd per object in the assembly, roughly, with some combined into one large block.  Ended up being 3 blocks total, for the whole crane.  I cleaned it up a bit, created 4 basic layers, for no purpose other than because I prefer attaching materials ByLayer in Autocad, except special cases, and this isn't anything going for photorealism.

No materials included, just the model... hadn't gotten that far yet... waiting for the go ahead from the client to 'ok' my ideas before I charge more time to the job... but the boss is optimistic that it's just what they were looking for.

Cool!  I might throw that into my vault rendering just for ha-ha's!

*I feel like Ty Pennington.*  "LET'S DO SOME DEMOLITION PEOPLE!!!"

Josh Nieman

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 03:10:39 PM »
I tend to horde models of interest or quality I find... you NEVER know when you may need something.  This instance, for sure.

I nabbed a high-poly vehicles at one point if I ever do a building with parking, to show some decent scale... I'm always keeping an eye out for trees... basically the stuff I'd never want to make a detailed model of.

Oh, and I found a model of Manhattan Island and the buildings... no idea when I'd use it but it could be fun.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 03:19:18 PM »
Ok, updated model just to add a few basic materials, and mostly to post a SS of what it looks like... I hate having to download a model before i even know what it is... I'd rather at least have an idea before i DL... so here be:

Sure it might be kind of Tonka Truck lookin', but like I said... it's just fluff for presentation.

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 03:53:13 PM »
Any chance you could post that bad boy in a .dxf?

Josh Nieman

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 04:06:44 PM »
Any chance you could post that bad boy in a .dxf?

This is with no modification to layers, blocks, colors, anything... straight conversion from the SKP file via Greg.  It looks identical in Autocad, as the DWG.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 04:09:39 PM »
The original dwg and dxf is in my lily pond folder as well.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 04:10:28 PM »
I believe Sketchup can convert to softplan format as well.  Would you like me to?

Whoops...nope...I was wrong.

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 04:22:10 PM »
Sure it might be kind of Tonka Truck lookin', but like I said... it's just fluff for presentation.

Good idea!!    :-)

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 04:23:58 PM »
I nabbed a high-poly vehicles at one point if I ever do a building with parking...

Mind sharing?!?

Josh Nieman

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2008, 04:33:59 PM »
haha niiiiice toy there.

Let me upload to the Lily Pad real quicklike.  I'll post a link in a minute.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2008, 04:40:13 PM »
Only have two at the moment.  http://cben.net/html/3D.htm  is where I get a lot.  Takes a bit to wade through the crud, but there's some gold there. 

I really wish Sketchup had a FREE .skp to 3ds/dwg/dxf converter... decent collection of stuff in the google warehouse.

anyways... Yenko Camaro = Long URL
and 2000 Chevy Silverado =Long URL

They're .3ds files.  I find .3ds seems pretty universal since Discreet was a little more business friendly than Autodesk with their file type, apparently... because many programs allow importing of 3ds files.  Autocad's "3dsin" command, for Autocad, btw.

I have .dxf files, though, if required.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2008, 04:48:16 PM »
Standing offer...

I should be able to convert google sketchup files as needed.

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2008, 05:05:33 PM »
Thanks Greg.

I can do what I can for Softplan files too.  :-D

Josh Nieman

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2008, 06:03:48 PM »
Oh, I missed a folder... I thought I had more.

The Audi is AWESOME, materials included, fully meshed interior and exterior, looks great.

Same with the second one, but maybe a little less work-applicable... unless y'all work on some jobs that are just beyond interesting... :mrgreen:

again, 3ds files.