Author Topic: .NET Help  (Read 29087 times)

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
Re: .NET Help
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2008, 12:43:19 PM »
... I have already completed 'Elements of C# Style' and I would have to say it's one of the best programming books I've read ...

After having read an excerpt on Amazon I'd say ... The unfortunate thing with a book titled thusly is that it will only be read by C# programmers. Like McConnell's "Code Complete", "Elements of C# Style", appears to host pearls of wisdom (the principle of least astonishment et al) that can be applied and adapted to near any development language, including the whitespace guide. A must have that's now in me cart. Thanks Glenn. :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 12:48:45 PM by MP »
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Glenn R

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2008, 01:06:46 PM »
You're welcome MP.

The Principle of least astonishment was actually mentioned :)

I think I will get 'Code Complete' as I've heard a lot of good things about it over the years...have you read said prose?

Cheers,
Glenn.

MP

• Seagull
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2008, 01:13:47 PM »
I read the first edition of Code Complete several years ago. Surprisingly good book (being MS Press) hardly any fluff, and certainly more than a single sit down read. While not a tome physically it is information wise (imo). I recently bought the second edition. Haven't read much of it but did recently re-read the chapter on pseudo code; most excellent.

:)
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

MP

• Seagull
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2008, 01:52:30 PM »

tjr

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2008, 02:47:24 PM »
Contrary to the advice given here there is nothing wrong with diving in feet first and writing some code. Just look at some sample code you find on the web and you should be able to pick up on it. 95% of the programming people do is not that hard, especially the .NET stuff.

Also I would recommend staying away from C#, it's a horrid language to work with.

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2008, 02:52:21 PM »
Also I would recommend staying away from C#, it's a horrid language to work with.
care to elaborate?
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Josh Nieman

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2008, 03:10:33 PM »
Contrary to the advice given here there is nothing wrong with diving in feet first and writing some code. Just look at some sample code you find on the web and you should be able to pick up on it. 95% of the programming people do is not that hard, especially the .NET stuff.

I have to say you're the only person amongst the hundreds of testimonials that I've gathered on the subject that thinks this way... what, may I ask, pushes you to believe this way?

Same with C#... I've found more people actually recommend it for justifiable reasons, and most opinions are that either is equally as usable, but I've not come across anyone who's actually had something negative to say of either C#, C++, VB.NET, or any variation that can be used behind the .NET design.

Glenn R

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2008, 03:51:59 PM »
care to elaborate?

Seconded Duh...

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2008, 04:54:27 PM »
I am by no means anything more than a novice using C#, and I have found it to be very easy to work with.  I spent the time doing the tutorials that were totally unrelated to anything I have ever done, and when I was done, I had a basic understanding of how the C# language worked.  I still have to look up almost everything, as I am unable to program full time.  But even having to look everything up, it comes back very quickly b/c the language is very easy to work with.

There are many many qualified individuals here at the swamp that use C# more often, if not full time, and are able to make Autocad do some very cool things.
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Glenn R

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2008, 04:59:46 PM »
No need to justify what you've done/are doing Duh, you're on the right track (learn to walk before you can run)...TJR put it out there with his...comments, let's see if he responds with a coherent argument.

sinc

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2008, 05:06:20 PM »

You also recommend that everyone do all web development by hand-writing HTML and CSS in a generic text editor.

Are you actually serious about any of this stuff you spout, or are you just trying to create Borat reactions?

Glenn R

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2008, 05:30:56 PM »

You also recommend that everyone do all web development by hand-writing HTML and CSS in a generic text editor.

Are you actually serious about any of this stuff you spout, or are you just trying to create Borat reactions?

Well said sinc. Not that I think you were over the top in any way shape or form, but I tend to moderate my prose for the predominantly American audience here, however, I think my Australian will come out from now on if this sort of thing (comments like tjr's) continues.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2008, 05:33:58 PM »

Well said sinc. Not that I think you were over the top in any way shape or form, but I tend to moderate my prose for the predominantly American audience here, however, I think my Australian will come out from now on if this sort of thing (comments like tjr's) continues.

You sayin' us Americans are uptight? ;)

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2008, 05:36:29 PM »
<snip>  95% of the programming people do is not that hard, <snip>

I'm having trouble keeping my couth.

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

MP

• Seagull
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2008, 05:50:19 PM »
Sincere thanks for keeping it civil thus far folks.

:)