Author Topic: Revit Volunteers: School house Project  (Read 14778 times)

Bob Garner

• Gator
Re: Revit Volunteers: School house Project
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2008, 05:46:32 PM »
I've had some time to play with the file James sent.  As you know, his file is metric and my Revit is imperial.  When I load his file, my Revit is strictly metric.  I don't see any obvious conversion methods.  I haven't tried to load (import) any imperial families (steel beams and such) to see if these convert to metric also.

Good question - how do we corroborate with different unit systems?  I'll bet it's one of those, "DOH!" answers.

Bob

Josh Nieman

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2008, 05:50:48 PM »
Not to scoff at the definite need and use of a conversion..

...who the heck enters into a multi-discipline, possibly inter-office, BIM environment project modeling without first establishing some basic standards like Imperial or Metric?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Strucmad

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2008, 06:45:08 PM »
nice article mj

few quotes.....love them :-D

"In this day and age when the metric system is the measurement language of all sophisticated science, two measurements systems should not be used,"

"Only the metric system should be used because that is the system science uses,"

"untenable" position of the United States in relation to most other countries, which rely on the metric system for measurement.

Bob Garner

• Gator
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2008, 05:45:00 PM »
Well, I've made my first structural model in Revit.  It's a steel framed, two story, two bay by two bay structure.  Moment frames in one direction, braced frames in the opposite direction.

I've learned a lot.  Specifically, that I am going to get formal training if I am going to use this program.  But right now, I'm not ready to commit to Revit.  I think it needs some maturation time.  The commands are not all similar to autocad and that's a productivity killer.  It won't import a 3-D model from autocad, instead you insert the model and "trace" it.  I'm better off preparing my model in STAAD or whatever structural analysis program is compatible with Revit and importing it that way. 

Josh, I know it's not a good idea to set up a project that will "share" imperial and metric units, but that sure is a good test of how robust a product is (I apologize for using that word).

I love the idea of building information modelling but I will wait for better product.  And it would be nice if competing products were compatible.  Yeah, I know.

Th th th th that's all folks.

Bob G.

Dilbert

« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2008, 09:25:06 AM »
Good question - how do we corroborate with different unit systems?  I'll bet it's one of those, "DOH!" answers.

Bob

Your Revit isn't strictly Metric, it's the project information that's metric.  What that means is that the designer is using metric sized parts which know they are metric sized parts with standard metric sizes. That conversion from Metric parts to Imperial parts isn't always exact so what this means is that you'll need to make the conversion yourself. In other words, if you have an engineer that submits his calcs in the wrong units you would likely ask him to resize/re-do his engineering calcs... the same thing applies in Revit.  Now you CAN draw all your stuff in Imperial by making sure your units and families are imperial. Also it's easy to replace his Metric components with Imperial if you know the size translation for each component... but this isn't CAD, this is BIM and the components are "real world" so a simple fudge of a dimension won't do as real world sizes are required.

In the end Revit Structure is a good program if your architects use Revit Architecture as the modelling program...but doesn't make much sense if you are using a different software package. (Exception: I know a couple individuals that use AutoCAD Architecture correctly as a full model that have had some success using Revit Structure).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 09:34:00 AM by Dilbert »

whdjr

« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2008, 10:49:23 AM »
So what's the update on this project.  It seemed like a good plan.  I would be willing to help but I have no knowledge of Revit but I would like too.