Author Topic: Revit Volunteers: School house Project  (Read 14775 times)

Bob Garner

• Gator
Re: Revit Volunteers: School house Project
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2008, 10:10:32 AM »
O.K., I bought a book, "Mastering Autodesk Revit Building", by Paul Aubin.  Pretty good book, I think.  The structural framing doesn't look too difficult.  I haven't figured out how to do a concrete slab on metal deck but I suppose there are deck slab "families" in the structrural design bar (do I sound like I know what I'm talkin' about?).

Se7en, will you put together the worksets?  I presume each of us will put together our individual discipline model and send to you to assemble the workset?  How would we set it up on the Swamp where we can access the worksets to work on our individual discipline models?  Gawd I have a lot to learn.

I haven't downloaded the Revit demo yet.  Josh, are you still in?  Can you get your demo functioning?

Bob G.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2008, 10:47:21 AM »
newp, sorry, no dice for me.

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2008, 11:07:11 AM »
I may have to go out and buy that book.

Yeah, each of us have our own models.

Worksets, that is an area I would like to work on, im not that good with them at the moment. But yes I can help do what needs to be done.

Theswamp has stuff for us to work together with; Theswamp server has SVN installed so each of us can checkout, checkin, document, etc our models/project, etc. If we can get interest we can talk to mark then I can work up some documentation how we can upload and share our models etc.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Bob Garner

• Gator
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2008, 11:34:50 AM »
O.K., I'm still in.

Bob G.

James

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2008, 12:07:52 PM »
i can do some architectural work, will be in metric though :-)

Bob Garner

• Gator
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2008, 12:24:45 PM »
I think the units we use won't be too important since this is an excercise and we're going to make it as simplistic as possible.  I was going to use the template drawings provided by Revit - they have imperial and metric alternate templates.  If I use an imperial template for structural, will it play nice with another discipline using a metric template?

Learnin' stuff already.

Bob G.

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2008, 12:43:45 PM »
Not sure? Lets find out.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Bob Garner

• Gator
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2008, 04:23:27 PM »
I've got Revit structural loaded now.  It took over 2 hours to download.  I made an initial foray into putting some building framing together - there's gonna be a steep learning curve here.  I've got grids and levels established but I can't get the columns in right.  The journey begins.

I might put together a vanilla cad framing plan and elevations and post it so you can see how I envision framing the school building.  I'm just assuming building dimensions so far - seems easy to revise in Revit.

Bob G.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2008, 04:35:13 PM »
The glory of parametric modeling will quickly reveal itself.

James

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2008, 05:00:44 AM »
i can supply an existing metric file for you to look at and make sure its ok if you want.

Bob Garner

• Gator
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2008, 03:27:21 PM »
James, I'm open to that if there is a way to post it.

I was going to post my feeble attempt at modelling the structural but it's just not ready yet.  I am not going to learn this program in a day.  Josh, how long did it take you to wrestle this beast?

Bob G.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2008, 03:29:44 PM »
I mainly worked on it during lunch breaks, so it's hard to judge actual time.

It took a wee bit though.  I found that being familiar with Inventor helped me out though.  Similar modeling methods, I guess.

James

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2008, 06:02:33 AM »
i'll upload a revit project now, will pm a password for the file.

(its only a simple garage extension, but will be ok to see if ok in metric etc)

James

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2008, 06:09:36 AM »

Bob Garner

• Gator
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2008, 10:33:06 AM »
James,

Thanks a treat for the Revit file.  I've got the demo version of Revit 2008 Structural.  I've loaded the Imperial Structural template and I was able to open your file with no problems.  I was able to navigate through all the views.  I want to explore how the metric dimensions interface with what I have but I have to do some work first.

I have my rudimentary classroom building structural model partially complete.  I have the framing done and have to search the libraries for concrete slab on metal decking for the second floor and maybe one for metal deck for the roof.

How will we "post" these files for corroboration?

Bob G.