Author Topic: 3D PDFs  (Read 12514 times)

SDETERS

Re: 3D PDFs
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 04:21:56 PM »
Sorry if I made it sound like I thought SP was "better" Sdeters.  It was not intended.  I was just chiming in with something I thought was somewhat relevant.

Which you did. I just did not put my words down very well.  I am the one that should be sorry. 

Do you have a small example of a file that you did in softplan to share with the group?  I would like to how this works.   

Thanks for help

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 04:30:34 PM »
Sorry if I made it sound like I thought SP was "better" Sdeters.  It was not intended.  I was just chiming in with something I thought was somewhat relevant.

Which you did. I just did not put my words down very well.  I am the one that should be sorry. 

Do you have a small example of a file that you did in softplan to share with the group?  I would like to how this works.   

Thanks for help

I haven't used it yet but have played with it in a class.  Gimme a bit.  I will post one when I can whip one up.

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 05:03:28 PM »
K.  It appears there is no "small" about it. 29mb :-o At least a color rendered model.  :-o  This is one I just happened to be working on at the moment.

It can be downloaded here.  The zip contains the files needed and the Softplan Review install program. 

http://www.theswamp.org/lilly_pond/index.php?dir=Maverick/&file=Mavs%20review.zip

**Tip**  Hold down the middle mouse button to orbit.  Careful if you get motion sick.  :-D

SDETERS

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 08:10:54 AM »
Sweet Thanks I will check it out tonight.

Chuck Gabriel

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 10:36:46 AM »
K.  It appears there is no "small" about it. 29mb :-o At least a color rendered model.  :-o  This is one I just happened to be working on at the moment.

It can be downloaded here.  The zip contains the files needed and the Softplan Review install program. 

http://www.theswamp.org/lilly_pond/index.php?dir=Maverick/&file=Mavs%20review.zip

**Tip**  Hold down the middle mouse button to orbit.  Careful if you get motion sick.  :-D

SoftPlan reView 3D crashes when I open your model. :-(

32 bit Vista Home Premium on my laptop.

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 10:40:16 AM »
...I PREFER to use DWF because of possibility of data loss or mis-translated data during the conversion to a PDF.

Interesting comment.  Have you ever had a client that opens the PDF (and it looks great on the screen) and prints and some stuff is missing or it doesn't appear as dark as it should be?

We've had that exact thing happen recently.

This is EXACTLY what has happened to us in the past week and a half!  Our backgrounds for MEP plot fine thru AutoCAD, plot fine from the plot files, LOOK fine thru PDF, but the PDF barely prints the background plan.  I've read great things about using Ghostscript, but I haven't been able to dive into it.

SDETERS

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 08:43:46 AM »
the Problem we are having at this time with 3D PDF files is that you can only buy it by the seat.  They do not offer it in a floating type license. 

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2008, 08:54:44 AM »
...I PREFER to use DWF because of possibility of data loss or mis-translated data during the conversion to a PDF.

Interesting comment.  Have you ever had a client that opens the PDF (and it looks great on the screen) and prints and some stuff is missing or it doesn't appear as dark as it should be?

We've had that exact thing happen recently.

This is EXACTLY what has happened to us in the past week and a half!  Our backgrounds for MEP plot fine thru AutoCAD, plot fine from the plot files, LOOK fine thru PDF, but the PDF barely prints the background plan.  I've read great things about using Ghostscript, but I haven't been able to dive into it.

What are you using to create your PDFs?  We're using Bluebeam.

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2008, 11:37:34 AM »
What are you using to create your PDFs?  We're using Bluebeam.

CutePDF

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2008, 07:55:42 AM »

Did anyone dl and try this?  Just curious as I had never set one up before.  I'm also wondering if the hardware requirements to do the orbiting etc. would be an issue for homeowners if I gave this to them.  Everyone here probably has pretty decent computers I suspect though.  :-)

SDETERS

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2008, 08:10:33 AM »
I have not been able to get to this downloaded yet.  I have an old 480 or so pentium 2 machine I can try it on.

Chuck Gabriel

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2008, 08:46:43 AM »
Did anyone dl and try this?  Just curious as I had never set one up before.  I'm also wondering if the hardware requirements to do the orbiting etc. would be an issue for homeowners if I gave this to them.  Everyone here probably has pretty decent computers I suspect though.  :-)

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=21548.msg270660#msg270660

deegeecees

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2008, 10:39:54 AM »
DLing ATM...   will report back shortly...

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2008, 10:45:01 AM »

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=21548.msg270660#msg270660

Shoot!  Sorry I missed that Chuck.  I sent those exact files to another computer in our office and they worked fine.  That was xp though.  I have vista home premium on my laptop.  I'll see if it works on it.

Thanks!

deegeecees

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2008, 10:55:17 AM »
When first opened, I get an error: "The application has failed to start because d3dx9_35.dll was not found...", but it opens anyway. Looks a bit dark, BTW.

I'm on XP Pro 5.1.2600 SP2.