Author Topic: 3D PDFs  (Read 12499 times)

3D PDFs
« on: February 22, 2008, 01:23:13 PM »
Does anyone use 3D PDFs?  What's the file size like compared to a 3D DWF?  Just doing a little research!

SDETERS

Re: 3D PDFs
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 04:57:24 PM »
We have the software but we are running into issues getting a 3D model out of our 3D modeling software into the 3D adobe file.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 05:03:42 PM »
I don't know if it is still the same, but the last advertisement I read on it was that you had to buy a super duper Acrobat Pro 3D to be able to create those files, though they are admittedly readable by the regular Adobe Reader that comes preinstalled on most computers or free for download.

It's kind of a wash... DWF is free to make and free to view, but the hurdle of getting random folks to go and download and install something off of Adesk website is pretty big.

Adobe, you have to pay like $700 iirc for the version of Acrobat that will make the 3D pdf files, but you get the convenience of being able to send them out to anyone and everyone with no worries.

But I guess if you're buying a $450 Acrobat Pro, another $250 could be worth it for that... I'm pretty sure Adobe put their research into finding out how to make money but still remain competitive or even ahead of the pack...

SDETERS

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 05:52:16 PM »
you are correct for the money issue

We only have one seat of it and it is not on my machine.

I have posted about this months or so ago. 

Ok Not Much info.  But for what it is worth. 

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=16234.msg196929;topicseen#msg196929

SDETERS

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 12:46:39 PM »
We have been messing around with this some.

Found this website  What they do with this software is really cool.

http://www.planetpdf.com/creative/article.asp?ContentID=Easily_Create_Interactive_3D_PDFs_that_Include_Product_Manufacturing_Information&page=1

I have a small sample of what we have been playing with. 

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 12:49:49 PM »
In the new version of Softplan they came out with a 3D version of a review file. (I think it's like a DWF in AC).  Homeowners can install this review proggy for free and then they can navigate around the model like I can when I am "building" it.  I haven't had the opportunity to use it with a homeowner yet but..... I think it will have some great "Wow" factor.

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 12:57:32 PM »
Not trying to hijack this thread, but 3D DWF's are super duper...plus, no conversion...just my $0.02

Antisthenes

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 01:30:01 PM »
i have been a big fan of Cult3d www.worldof3d.com
but i have used adobe acrobat 3d to make 3d pdfs and it worked great

i have never used 3d dwf.

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 01:36:53 PM »

deegeecees

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 02:04:17 PM »
In the new version of Softplan they came out with a 3D version of a review file. (I think it's like a DWF in AC).  Homeowners can install this review proggy for free and then they can navigate around the model like I can when I am "building" it.  I haven't had the opportunity to use it with a homeowner yet but..... I think it will have some great "Wow" factor.

I've used that same WOW factor with Sketchup/Earth for some of our more "computer literate" clients. I just send them the .kmz file.

SDETERS

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 02:04:36 PM »
DWF is cool

How many people use DWF versus how many people have Adobe PDF?

Homeowners can install this review proggy for free

I just do not like going and downloading software even it is free.  Adobe PDF is free and almost every one who has a computer has it on there machine.  It is a more convientent way of looking at files.  Plus there are companies out there that have the computers so locked down they can not download nothing.  But they still have the adobe acrobat reader to read PDF files with.

I do not know which is the best way to go but I just wanted to share more information on this topic.

Thanks

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 02:40:32 PM »
I just do not like going and downloading software even it is free.  Adobe PDF is free and almost every one who has a computer has it on there machine.  It is a more convientent way of looking at files.  Plus there are companies out there that have the computers so locked down they can not download nothing.  But they still have the adobe acrobat reader to read PDF files with.

I do not know which is the best way to go but I just wanted to share more information on this topic.

Thanks

Sorry if I made it sound like I thought SP was "better" Sdeters.  It was not intended.  I was just chiming in with something I thought was somewhat relevant. 

Josh Nieman

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 02:42:55 PM »
Nah, it's pretty much the same with anything non-PDF, Mav.

I would like to use DWF, since you have to pony up to a super-expensive version of Acrobat to make 3D pdfs, but it is just hard to get folks to download something free and easy, even if you give them the direct link, or even the actual file!  They just don't want to bother "Can't you just send a PDF?"   :roll:

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 03:05:25 PM »
I would like to use DWF, since you have to pony up to a super-expensive version of Acrobat to make 3D pdfs, but it is just hard to get folks to download something free and easy, even if you give them the direct link, or even the actual file!  They just don't want to bother "Can't you just send a PDF?"   :roll:

I go the technical route and explain to the requester of the PDF that I CAN send them a PDF, but that I PREFER to use DWF because of possibility of data loss or mis-translated data during the conversion to a PDF.  I also mention that the company that created and programmed my $4,000 program are the same people that created the DWF conversion that is BUILT-IN to the program.  Also, the client can view & MARKUP the DWF for FREE, and email it back whereby I can load the markups into AutoCAD and see the markups right on my drawing screen and make the necessary changes with virtually no question as to what the client wants changed.

AutoDESK Design Review (FREE DOWNLOAD):
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=8824283

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 03:14:33 PM »
...I PREFER to use DWF because of possibility of data loss or mis-translated data during the conversion to a PDF.

Interesting comment.  Have you ever had a client that opens the PDF (and it looks great on the screen) and prints and some stuff is missing or it doesn't appear as dark as it should be?

We've had that exact thing happen recently.  We're supposed to get with the client some time next week to discuss things more - find out what they might be doing or what we can do to prevent this from happening again.

SDETERS

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 04:21:56 PM »
Sorry if I made it sound like I thought SP was "better" Sdeters.  It was not intended.  I was just chiming in with something I thought was somewhat relevant.

Which you did. I just did not put my words down very well.  I am the one that should be sorry. 

Do you have a small example of a file that you did in softplan to share with the group?  I would like to how this works.   

Thanks for help

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 04:30:34 PM »

Which you did. I just did not put my words down very well.  I am the one that should be sorry. 

Do you have a small example of a file that you did in softplan to share with the group?  I would like to how this works.   

Thanks for help

I haven't used it yet but have played with it in a class.  Gimme a bit.  I will post one when I can whip one up.

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 05:03:28 PM »
K.  It appears there is no "small" about it. 29mb :-o At least a color rendered model.  :-o  This is one I just happened to be working on at the moment.

It can be downloaded here.  The zip contains the files needed and the Softplan Review install program. 

http://www.theswamp.org/lilly_pond/index.php?dir=Maverick/&file=Mavs%20review.zip

**Tip**  Hold down the middle mouse button to orbit.  Careful if you get motion sick.  :-D

SDETERS

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 08:10:54 AM »
Sweet Thanks I will check it out tonight.

Chuck Gabriel

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 10:36:46 AM »
K.  It appears there is no "small" about it. 29mb :-o At least a color rendered model.  :-o  This is one I just happened to be working on at the moment.

It can be downloaded here.  The zip contains the files needed and the Softplan Review install program. 

http://www.theswamp.org/lilly_pond/index.php?dir=Maverick/&file=Mavs%20review.zip

**Tip**  Hold down the middle mouse button to orbit.  Careful if you get motion sick.  :-D

SoftPlan reView 3D crashes when I open your model. :-(

32 bit Vista Home Premium on my laptop.

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 10:40:16 AM »
...I PREFER to use DWF because of possibility of data loss or mis-translated data during the conversion to a PDF.

Interesting comment.  Have you ever had a client that opens the PDF (and it looks great on the screen) and prints and some stuff is missing or it doesn't appear as dark as it should be?

We've had that exact thing happen recently.

This is EXACTLY what has happened to us in the past week and a half!  Our backgrounds for MEP plot fine thru AutoCAD, plot fine from the plot files, LOOK fine thru PDF, but the PDF barely prints the background plan.  I've read great things about using Ghostscript, but I haven't been able to dive into it.

SDETERS

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 08:43:46 AM »
the Problem we are having at this time with 3D PDF files is that you can only buy it by the seat.  They do not offer it in a floating type license. 

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2008, 08:54:44 AM »

We've had that exact thing happen recently.

This is EXACTLY what has happened to us in the past week and a half!  Our backgrounds for MEP plot fine thru AutoCAD, plot fine from the plot files, LOOK fine thru PDF, but the PDF barely prints the background plan.  I've read great things about using Ghostscript, but I haven't been able to dive into it.

What are you using to create your PDFs?  We're using Bluebeam.

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2008, 11:37:34 AM »
What are you using to create your PDFs?  We're using Bluebeam.

CutePDF

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2008, 07:55:42 AM »

Did anyone dl and try this?  Just curious as I had never set one up before.  I'm also wondering if the hardware requirements to do the orbiting etc. would be an issue for homeowners if I gave this to them.  Everyone here probably has pretty decent computers I suspect though.  :-)

SDETERS

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2008, 08:10:33 AM »
I have not been able to get to this downloaded yet.  I have an old 480 or so pentium 2 machine I can try it on.

Chuck Gabriel

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2008, 08:46:43 AM »
Did anyone dl and try this?  Just curious as I had never set one up before.  I'm also wondering if the hardware requirements to do the orbiting etc. would be an issue for homeowners if I gave this to them.  Everyone here probably has pretty decent computers I suspect though.  :-)

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=21548.msg270660#msg270660

deegeecees

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2008, 10:39:54 AM »
DLing ATM...   will report back shortly...

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2008, 10:45:01 AM »

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=21548.msg270660#msg270660

Shoot!  Sorry I missed that Chuck.  I sent those exact files to another computer in our office and they worked fine.  That was xp though.  I have vista home premium on my laptop.  I'll see if it works on it.

Thanks!

deegeecees

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2008, 10:55:17 AM »
When first opened, I get an error: "The application has failed to start because d3dx9_35.dll was not found...", but it opens anyway. Looks a bit dark, BTW.

I'm on XP Pro 5.1.2600 SP2.

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2008, 10:58:16 AM »
I dled the same file and installed on my laptop.  Works........ ok.  The orbiting is pretty slow.  My laptop is not a cad machine.  The only thing it says on the website is that the ability of the customer to navigate around the model will depend on how much detail I include in the model, interior cab., appliances,trim, flooring, etc.  (size) and the persons video card.  No hardware minimums.   :-(

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2008, 11:01:26 AM »
When first opened, I get an error: "The application has failed to start because d3dx9_35.dll was not found...", but it opens anyway. Looks a bit dark, BTW.

I'm on XP Pro 5.1.2600 SP2.

Something to do with DirectX?  I have seen it posted that it uses DX10 and drops back if needed.  (whatever that means.)

deegeecees

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2008, 11:16:42 AM »
Yeah, I'm on DX9, just did a total OS reinstall recently, and have yet to install anything needing DX10.

Chuck Gabriel

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2008, 07:27:57 AM »
I dled the same file and installed on my laptop.  Works........ ok.  The orbiting is pretty slow.  My laptop is not a cad machine.  The only thing it says on the website is that the ability of the customer to navigate around the model will depend on how much detail I include in the model, interior cab., appliances,trim, flooring, etc.  (size) and the persons video card.  No hardware minimums.   :-(

Thanks Mav.  I'll check the DirectX version, although I thought I installed DirectX as a part of the viewer install (or maybe that was when I installed an evaluation version of AutoCAD 2008).