Author Topic: Question: Revit Architecturals used like XREF's in AutoCAD?  (Read 8442 times)

StykFacE

Question: Revit Architecturals used like XREF's in AutoCAD?
« on: February 18, 2008, 04:40:29 PM »
Is there a way, or better yet an option that allows to take an architectural floorplan completely done in Revit and "XREF" it into a new file so I can do my mechanicals? I'm just now getting started in Revit and there's been a new job that came up with Revit files from the architects and I'm wanting to start learning this program finally.

Or maybe I'm not even thinking on the right track. Does everything have to be drawn in the single file that was created? Just looking for some new user guidence so I can get started on the right foot of this new project. Thanks all in advance for helping.  ;-)

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
Re: Question: Revit Architecturals used like XREF's in AutoCAD?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 05:16:47 PM »
I was under the impression you are suppose to draw it in one file.

If each trade makes their own files, they are suppose to be able to be imported (flawlessly) into each other.  My colleagues and I are attending a web cast of Revit for small businesses on the 20th and I did a little research on the program.

StykFacE

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 05:32:23 PM »
I was under the impression you are suppose to draw it in one file.

If each trade makes their own files, they are suppose to be able to be imported (flawlessly) into each other.  My colleagues and I are attending a web cast of Revit for small businesses on the 20th and I did a little research on the program.

Okay, well I'm just wondering how it will work while joing up with other disciples on the job. For instance, if I send the file back completed with the Mechanicals in a couple of weeks, then what if I screwed something up on the Architectural Floorplan? or what if there's an Architectural Revision or Update? That's what I'm getting at. ;-)

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 05:43:21 PM »
Ah...well if a trade makes a revision it should be sent to the architect and that file should (flawlessly) be imported into their file.  If the architect makes a change, they should send it to you and that change should (flawlessly) be imported into your drawing.

StykFacE

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 05:58:24 PM »
Well I found out that it's under the File > Import/Link > Revit... pulldown menu. However, looks like this is not going to work for me to use the full benefit of Revit. I guess I'll be creating my mechanical drawings directly in the file so I can calculate zones and mechanical parameters directly from the Architectural Floorplans. But good to know that's the option either way.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 10:39:04 AM »

Bob Garner

• Gator
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 05:58:23 PM »
I understand that there is a single "master" model that all disciplines work on.  Every morning or whenever, all the disciplines download the latest model and continue working on it, then save it to the original file.  Usually the Architect maintains the master file (?)

Alternatively, Autodesk has a free Design Review Program that lets you open Revit and mark up changes desired.  I think this markup is in a .dwf format.  Then someone has to then enter these changes into the "master" model.

I'm new to Revit here so I hope I'm not sayin' sumthin stoopid.

Bob G.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 06:54:28 PM »
From everything I've read... the whole principle of BIM dictates that there MUST be a MODEL MANAGER... a single person who is in charge of maintaining the master model, importing the various disciplines' models... and I guess, if allowable, checking for interferences/problems..

I am assuming the Professional of Record would assign this task to one of his employees, but... I guess a sub could do it, though that would be odd, I think, unless the sub just has a whizbang Revit user who's more capable. 

And I say Professional of Record, because, believe it or not, Engineers are just as capable of managing an entire project as architects :P  (Darn Architects always tryin' to take control of the project... thinkin' they's betta dan us engineerin' types ;) )

Strucmad

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 07:10:55 PM »
Josh , Most times even better.....nah we dont need that pretty looking feature there...and well have columns here, here and here..and well just change the shape of the building to square..works better..   :-D

Bob Garner

• Gator
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 09:06:17 PM »
Actually engineers are better because they're so damn detail oriented.  A time when being anal really helps.  Ya gotta "love the rivet" (from "Tracks" by Robyn Davidson - I can send you an excerpt if you want).

Bo

Bob Wahr

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 11:43:43 PM »
A little bit late to the party, but you link the architectural into your file.  in the view properties, set the discipline to coordination so you can see everything.  Copy/monitor the elements that matter to you into your model.  If you make any changes to those elements, the artichoke will see it when you give them your model and they do a coordination check.  If they make changes, and give you a new model, when you open yours, revit will realize it has changed and inform you that coordination is required.  Some elements can be buggy between disciplines in my admittedly limited experience.

Kate M

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 11:11:06 AM »
I understand that there is a single "master" model that all disciplines work on.
MAYBE, if you're all in house. I prefer having a separate model for each discipline, and everybody links everybody else's stuff. Plus it keeps the model from getting even more ridiculously large.

Alternatively, Autodesk has a free Design Review Program that lets you open Revit and mark up changes desired.  I think this markup is in a .dwf format.  Then someone has to then enter these changes into the "master" model.
Not quite. Revit can export 2D or 3D DWFs which can be marked up in Design Review and imported back into Revit. Someone still has to make the changes to the model. Design Review does not read *.rvt, only DWF.

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 12:41:19 PM »
I'm kinda late as well but Bobs right, Link, copy monitor, work etc.

Separate models kinda sucks cause, for instance, (i'm Mech BTW) i cant "see" the Arch's RCP in my model very well. I cant necessarily tell what an item is in a section; that line could be a Struct Beam, Arch RCP, etc.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Kate M

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 01:56:39 PM »
Somebody told me that you're supposed to be able to tab through linked items as well, to identify them. I haven't had a chance to test it, though.

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 03:45:55 PM »
If i hover over an object: I get a small description of what the item is and i can get info about it, if i have the item copy monitored into my model.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Donate to TheSwamp.org