Author Topic: dwg tools  (Read 7115 times)

Notsober

dwg tools
« on: February 14, 2008, 06:01:28 PM »
Hi all...

trying to learn something here. but allow me to explain a little bit first.

This office is really outdated. Most of us are still using ACAD 2004, some were fortunate enough to get 2007 or 2008. But aside from that, we still create dwgs and save them down to 2000. I guess because some of our clients are more outdated than we are  :-o

Here's the deal: we have to use model space - no paperspace allowed, and certainly the viewports are banned.

When we have a dwg in the 'current' folder, as opposed to the 'previous' folder (where we keep all previous versions, old rev's in) the dwg in the current folder is always the latest rev. Okay, at the start of process, we have some dwg tools we attach on the side (see attached dwg). But when we IFC the dwg, we delete those tools, purge, zoom extents, save.

But when it comes time to rev the dwg, we have to bring back those tools. I tried making it a little simpler by making the tools.dwg a command, whereas by a simple click under the 'Insert' pull-down, it inserts the .dwg as a block. I have to first specify the scale of the block, pick insertion point, rotation angle, and lastly, explode the block so I can actually use the individual blocks.

Is there a way I can speed this process up a bit? I tried doing it, but I think I might have to write a lisp to acheive my goal.

here's what I got for inserting the initial block:
ID_InsTools    [DWG Tools]^C^C-insert;dwg_tools;s;\;  ex;;

I guess I want it to "get" scale factor of border, insert it where I specify, rotation angle to be 0, and lastly to explode it.

or am i wasting more time by this?

KewlToyZ

Re: dwg tools
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 10:23:32 AM »
Have you tried creating tool bars for all of your tools?
You can setup a standard folder for all of your block inserts in one location on the network and add that path to your profiles to pull from. Use this as a standard mapped drive on all machines then.

I can't remember its been so long, but didn't 2004 have palettes?

You can write a custom mnu & mnl file to load these up everytime you start AutoCAD using a shared network profile in a desktop shortcut. Even use custom icons so everyone knows the difference between regular AutoCA and the new "managed" system.

Custom menus would be fairly easy, especially if you wrote *.lsp routines to call for their specific insert.
These all appear to be schematic so do you use the dimscale for sizing these or just normal 1:1 scales?

What are the names you use for each of these blocks?
I'll give you a sample.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 10:27:59 AM by KewlToyZ »

deegeecees

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 10:32:30 AM »
Yes, 04' has Tool Pallettes, and from the looks of things, Mr Hollands situation warrants just what you are inferring KT. I'd be happy to help you on this Mr Holland if you need it.

KewlToyZ

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 10:42:26 AM »
Thanks DG, I was just contemplating how I could get 2004 since I only have 2008 now and its all cui instead and likely palettes atc files are completely out on compatability. Open the Design Center and voila, he has his palette with no more worries.
At most you may have to go into each item and set them to use dimscale if required before exporting the final version.
Trying to remember if that was the AltScale setting?

I miss how easy those were to manage and export.
Should be a very simple issue for them to share over the network or else make a zip file to install the files locally to every machine.

deegeecees

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 10:48:48 AM »
I've never used Lisp/VBA with tool palletes, is that possible? I'm thinking along the lines of a reactor in VBA called when an insert is performed to get the tblock scale.

KewlToyZ

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 10:52:27 AM »
To be honest I haven't had the need for block inserts.
But that would be a curious thing to try and call a setscale routine...hmmmm.
I might have jumbled my response, I was referring to toolbars for the lisp calls.
Let me take a look  :evil:

deegeecees

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 10:56:58 AM »
It's pretty much a done deal if he's willing to go the toolbar route, I'll wait for OP's response.

KewlToyZ

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 11:02:17 AM »
Yeah, right click on the drawing in design center and select create tool palette  :-P
We would have to do some hacking to the atc XML file to add more functionality to a palette.
I haven't tried, not sure how the system would react to a 5 wheeled car :ugly:

deegeecees

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 11:18:08 AM »
Here's one of many I used to use when I needed that kind of functionality. It takes into account multiple instances of the titleblock, as well as standard scaling, and layer control. The block is hard coded, but that's no problem to change (not very elegant but gets the job done).

KewlToyZ

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 11:37:58 AM »
I'm still using a legacy routine left over from a predecessor who works for Autodesk now.
Martin Schmidt.
I've had to modify it a few times for every new release going from 2004-2008 in about a year an a half's time period on over 100 machines.
You guys in the swamp helped me with osnaps returns immensely.
This has some unique XREF library structures beyond my grasp to say the least because I never understood how these were found.
It uses object detection to position items and the interface on insert.
Needless to say, it is tough to move on because it works for all of the current standard legacy tools.
Currently I am trying to get MEP smart Objects adopted as drafting tools yet to replace much of what is used by it.
But it will likely never completely replace the legacy items used in their standards.

Invoking these involves a set of variables passed by the tool button.
^C^C(smartinsert 0 19 "clayer" "mechanical/kta_mdv005")(tstatrot)
^C^C(smartinsert 0 39 "M-HVAC-EQPM" "mechanical/kta_mis001")
^C^C(smartinsert 0 37 "M-HVAC-CDFF-ANNO" "mechanical/kta_mad001")
etc...

I need to re write the layerset, it is a bit cludgy.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 11:49:53 AM by KewlToyZ »

deegeecees

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 11:49:37 AM »
Yeah, that is a bit 'cludgy', I've got something very similar.

:-D

Notsober

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 04:19:25 PM »
man I've been looking for this thread... I thought I dreamed it!

hey, I'm still looking for some help with this.

I'm very specific on how I want this to be executed... Deeg, still willing to help me out?

hmspe

• Bull Frog
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 07:17:41 PM »
I'm very specific on how I want this to be executed.

Provide some details and we'll see how we can help.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman

Notsober

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 07:35:49 PM »
I want the code to first get the scale of the dwg, wait for me to pick insertion point, rotation angle is always 0, and lastly explode the block.

this is how i'm accomplishing it now under the INSERT menu pulldown:
ID_InsTools    [DWG Tools]^C^C-insert;dwg_tools;s;\;  ex;;

but it's still not exploding the block like I want it to.

deegeecees

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 11:16:01 AM »
Deeg, still willing to help me out?

I barely have time to read this as it is, sorry unsober one. I'll chime in when/if I can.