Author Topic: AutoCAD 2009  (Read 62373 times)

KewlToyZ

Re: AutoCAD 2009
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2008, 10:24:42 PM »
I found my imported page setups needed driver tweaks to get working again from 08 to 09 with publish.
Yes I use publish all of the time.
Runs of 50-100 dwg's are pretty much a common plot set for us.
So far the tests I did Friday worked, but I have a battery of tests with my routines and utils to do yet.
Plus I'm in process of updating each of our discipline specific network shared tool palettes.

sinc

« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2008, 08:36:07 AM »
I found my imported page setups needed driver tweaks

What does that mean?

KewlToyZ

« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2008, 06:03:44 PM »
I use a main file location for all page setups shared between all offices.
24x36.dwg
30x42.dwg
etc...

I have 5 National offices with separate servers on the same domain and separate plotters.
With the nature of AutoCAD since 2007 publish checks the network path of every page setup in every drawing as it loads, even if they repeat. So all I save in a drawing are a plot to file full and half size.
The plotters themselves are kept in these centralized files to be imported when publishing.
 :lol:

The drivers themselves just needed me to go through and update them from 2009 to their corresponding driver locations, pmp files, etc.... Now they seem to be appearing and plotting with proper page alignment.

KewlToyZ

« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2008, 01:35:38 PM »
AutoCAD MEP 2009 SP1 finally!!!
Seems quite a few bugs fixed. :kewl:

M-dub

« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2008, 10:48:32 AM »
Yea, I experience the same slowness and lagginess on 2009.

I know this is an old post, but it was the closest thing I could find to what I'm experiencing.

2009 seems to lag on user input.  For a simple example, I enter "L" at the command line and hit the spacebar.  The line command USED to begin instantaneously.  Now, there is about a half second lag time before the command begins.

It's like there's a chain of command going on inside my computer.  One guy sits at the command line and waits for something to be entered.  Once he sees "L -> Enter" come in, he yells down to the PGP guys, "Hey, what have you got in there under "L"?"  *waits* "Line? Okay" Then he yells up to the command processor guys, "Hey, I need LINE out here!" and they all repeat the command as they get to work, "LINE...Specify first point".

Ok, enough of that drivel.  Anyone else experience THIS type of lag?  Is there something causing it?  Is there a way to avoid it?

jnieman

« Reply #110 on: September 18, 2008, 10:53:47 AM »
I've seen reports of it numerous times, but sadly it was always responded to with "try not leaving the layer palette open, or even docked and hid... close it" or similar sentiments.

If that's not your case, I can't help ya.

However, you'd installed the service pack right?  I'm sorry... UPDATE 1... whatever they want to call it.

deegeecees

« Reply #111 on: September 18, 2008, 10:55:27 AM »
I have a relatively fast box, so I don't notice any lag time. I just tried exactly what you said, and LINE came up instantaneously.

M-dub

« Reply #112 on: September 18, 2008, 10:59:19 AM »
That was actually, IT, Josh.  Now that I've got this fancy new PC with dual monitors, I was trying to take advantage of some of the extra real estate with the Properties, Command Line and Layer windows.  When I 'minimized' them, the lag was reduced significantly.

Thanks

...But, that sucks!

M-dub

« Reply #113 on: September 18, 2008, 11:03:46 AM »
I have a relatively fast box, so I don't notice any lag time. I just tried exactly what you said, and LINE came up instantaneously.

I do too, but here we are.

jnieman

« Reply #114 on: September 18, 2008, 11:37:01 AM »
That was actually, IT, Josh.  Now that I've got this fancy new PC with dual monitors, I was trying to take advantage of some of the extra real estate with the Properties, Command Line and Layer windows.  When I 'minimized' them, the lag was reduced significantly.

Thanks

FWIW, I couldn't stand having a docked layer toolbar... it's proportions of functionality are not suitable to a vertically docked bar... the layer bar is way to wide, when I use it (even with some fields of layer properties turned off) to make it economical to dock it... I use it like I used the old one... hit "layer" do my jazz, close it.

It's just that now the changes are real-time, and I have to hit the close box, rather than hit 'ok'

M-dub

« Reply #115 on: September 18, 2008, 11:39:33 AM »
I only kept the layer window open for a bit.  It's gone now.  I don't really like it.  For now, I only keep the Properties and Command window open.

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #116 on: September 18, 2008, 11:46:19 AM »
...do my jazz...

*pictures Josh doing "jazz hands"*
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

jnieman

« Reply #117 on: September 18, 2008, 12:05:30 PM »

KewlToyZ

« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2008, 10:49:52 AM »
I only kept the layer window open for a bit.  It's gone now.  I don't really like it.  For now, I only keep the Properties and Command window open.
M-DUB, I found it necessary to run a Repair on MEP 2009 on a few machines from time to time experiencing the details of this sort of command lag.

I love the layer palette, but I'm on dual screen workstations. I run an extremely high resolution though around 1600x1200 on both screens.
I don't have any difficulty with the layer manager viewing as a flyout palette.
The Layer palette doesn't lag normal commands when docked and hidden with 780 layers in a drawing for me on a slower machine than yours.
I do have a 512 MB NVIDIA 7300 GT video card installed but its a bargain basement $50 gamers card. I'm only running 2 GB of ram.
I found turning off quik properties helps performance immensely as well as disabling any ribbon garbage.
The ribbon consumes 3 times the resources and does exactly the same thing a menu, palette, or toolbar can accomplish.

I have found that MEP 2009 ran with the acad.cui instead of the MEP.cui is much faster of course and is the only way the layer manager is available as a palette. But you lose the select similiar command on the right click menu. Also MEP 2009 seems to be more stable and perform better than MEP 2008 since the service pack. And finally, Reference Manager 2009 is hands down way better than 2008's.
Drawing TrueView 2009 is much more awesome as well. Both are improvements in stability and AEC library translations.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 10:58:24 AM by KewlToyZ »

M-dub

« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2008, 10:57:12 AM »
Thanks, I had turned the ribbon off.  It does look nice and pretty but, is quite unnecessary.  It is like a pretty version of the old screen menu, but in a different location.
I found that the more pallettes I had visible on the screen, the longer the lag time was.  When I turned them all off, there was no lag.  I've just got the Properties window docked and with auto-hide turned on now and it's not too bad at all.