Author Topic: AutoCAD 2009  (Read 61179 times)

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
Re: AutoCAD 2009
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2008, 01:54:01 PM »
I am home with a sick 6 month Baby.  Some sort of Sore throat virus.  But after fixing the wifes computer and I decide to log on to TheSwamp and see this   :x

I can hear my user's now.  I personaly like the Dashboard in 2008.  everything that you need daily in a nice compact package.  It is more sweet if you have two monitors IMO.  Will have to see if I can slide the Ribbon over to the second monitor.

Have they done anything with the PDF plotting driver?  100% of my work is plotted to PDFs and 2008's PDF qualtity blows hard.  I have to agree with Josh.  If they want thier money they have to help us out with the final product (AKA white paper). 

Will have to do some more reading.  Have to go and check on the rugrat?
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2008, 02:31:55 PM »
Meh to the javascript on your site that throws up distracting and annoying dialogs, significantly detracting from reading the potentially interesting info. Guess I'll just mark it unsafe.

Meh to the distracting and annoying post, significantly detracting from reading the potentially interesting info.  Guess I'll just chalk it up to ....... whatever.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2008, 02:39:24 PM »
Meh to the javascript on your site that throws up distracting and annoying dialogs, significantly detracting from reading the potentially interesting info. Guess I'll just mark it unsafe.

Meh to the distracting and annoying post, significantly detracting from reading the potentially interesting info.  Guess I'll just chalk it up to ....... whatever.

*thumbs up*

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2008, 02:44:08 PM »

Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

MP

• Seagull
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2008, 02:45:28 PM »
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

deegeecees

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2008, 03:11:49 PM »
Isn't that the "Snack Fairy"? He probably won't take it well.

BazzaCAD

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2008, 04:41:26 PM »
How many of us where in the Raptor Beta?
I was one of those tester that was excited when I saw the first few Photoshop UI mockups, then got more and more disappointed with each beta build.
Yes the ribbon can be turned off (actually closed), but it's probably no too good of an idea. Some new features have to have it on like the Action recorder.
I liked the dashboard too, so I'll be docking my ribbon in the vertical state. Then it's basically the dashboard++ You get some nice little tabs across the top, so it's like having multiple dashboard.
The look CUI is the same but now it has some more nodes, Ribbon Tabs, Ribbon Panels, Quick Properties, Rollover tooltips.
You can fully customize the ribbon in the CUI, but I think it's still buggy.
The Quick Prop's is cool, but I think it will annoy a lot of people. You select an object and a mini Properties panel pops up.
It's quicker then moving your mouse all the way over to one side of your screen, since it pops up right next to your mouse.
But they should of made it transparent, then turn solid when your mouse moves over it, like the MS Office Quick Prop's. & that's why I think it will be annoying to most people.
The nice thing is you can CUI the objects that show the Quick prop's & what prop's to show for each object type.
The rollover tooltips are also cool and can be CUI'ed just like the Quick Prop's. Basically you hover over an object & a tooltip pops up with that object prop's. No need to LIST anymore.
Overall I give 2009 a thumbs down. I don't think it will do very well when it ships & will be the next R13. Notice there hasn't been as much blog traffic on the day the NDA's where lifted as the last few years.....
Hmmm I wonder why.... But that's just my 2 cents, I hope they prove me wrong, since I'm normally an Autodesk fanboy :)
(you guys want more screen shots)

BazzaCAD

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2008, 05:09:21 PM »
Have they done anything with the PDF plotting driver?  100% of my work is plotted to PDFs and 2008's PDF qualtity blows hard.  I have to agree with Josh.  If they want thier money they have to help us out with the final product (AKA white paper). 

No nothing new with the PDF driver :(
Stick with AcroPlot.
They thought you'd prefer having DGN7 export or DWFx (so that all your Vista users wouldn't have to download DR)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2008, 05:10:01 PM »
you guys want more screen shots

Always!! :-)
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

BazzaCAD

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2008, 05:25:22 PM »
Since Mark asked for it. :)
Here's the Quick Properties & the Rollover Tooltips.
Note how you can CUI each object type & each property.

BazzaCAD

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2008, 05:28:47 PM »
Here's the Ribbon in it's 4 stats...
1. Full Ribbon
2. Min. to Panel Titles
3. Min. to Tabs
4. Docked as Vert. Dashboard (note you can have multiple panels expanded now, unlike the dashboard, Draw & Modify are expanded in this case)

Josh Nieman

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2008, 05:41:06 PM »
I may end up liking the Ribbon, but I seriously doubt it, since it's basically the antithesis of my current setup.  I have one row of toolbars... LAYERS, LAYERS 2, PROPERTIES, STYLES... then a one button custom toolbar with my job setup on it... fits the width of my screen perfectly at 1920x1200.  I don't even have the STANDARD toolbar on there anymore (File, New, Open, etc)

I keep 3 palettes perma-docked on the left... Tool Palettes, XREF Manager, Properties... and 2 perma-docked on the right Visual Styles and Design Center (Materials Dialog when I'm doing visualizations, but it's gone as soon as I'm done... don't use it often enough for perma-docking)  I hardly ever use the right side though.

What I love about my setup is the absolutely expansive amount of CLEAR SPACE I have to work in.  I think I'm going to LOVE the ability to have quick info at hover over an item... but I'm going to hate how obtrusive the quick properties window is.  Maybe if it were transparent... but I use LIst a lot so I'm torn... it could keep my from having to LIst an item... *shrug*

It's just... almost insulting... to be given this dumbed-down tinker toy Fisher Price program after most of us have been using it for at least a decade, and even I, at a tender 24 years old, have been using it for 7 seriously, 9 if you count intro courses in high school.  It's just... blah... there's so much that could be done that NEEDS done that hasn't been ADDRESSED for YEARS that PLAGUES many users... that such a release is mind boggling.

I wasn't around for the R13 release debacle as I wasn't community-active and just barely using (I think) R12 in high school then 2000i in college... but I can see where you'd make such a comparison, BazzaCAD...  I'm severely apprehensive.  I'm normally an Autodesk fanboy, too... I have embraced and exulted in the changes and additions normally, while venting only sporadically over troubles I personally have getting used to, or learning things.  I've always been a lover of Autocad though.  This one has me a little... peaved.

MP

• Seagull
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2008, 05:42:57 PM »
Thanks Barry, certainly an eyeful!

:-o

Atook

• Swamp Rat
  • AKA Tim
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2008, 05:44:18 PM »
Looks interesting, but as Bazza said, sounds like an r13 version. Hopefully v2010 will be as much of a milestone as r14!

BazzaCAD

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2008, 06:08:29 PM »
Here's a vid. of the Menu Browser in action.
(note the colors are a little off in GIFF format)
A few nice things to note here are the Recent & Opened documents menu and being able to see a thumbnail previews for both of them.
Also the ability to PIN a dwg in the Recent list, so it wont drop off of it.