Author Topic: AutoCAD 2009  (Read 60368 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Re: AutoCAD 2009
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 12:37:07 PM »
oh, it's MENUBAR as rkmcswain's nice collection states.

Well actually he said ..

Ok, where are the pull-down menus? Do you see that Big Red "A" in the upper left corner? Click on that to expose the Menu Browser. This is sort of like the Windows Start Menu, except it's in the upper left hand corner. Judge for yourself, if you want the old style pull-down menus, set MENUBAR to 1.

Does that just put the menus at the top of the window or does it turn off the "Ribbon" thing?
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

daron

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 12:38:17 PM »
Well, I like this part:
Can be oriented horizontally or vertically
· Fully customizable using the CUI editor
Makes the UI so much sweeter. I do like the menu being a pulldown. I've always wanted to get rid of that as well as the status bar buttons. Who needs them.

Kate M

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 12:41:24 PM »
For those that have interest.

AutoCAD 2009 in 2 minutes

Shaan Hurley's Blog

Lynn Allen's Blog

Heidi Hewett's Blog

Is Google reader slow, or is it just me? I don't have any of those posts yet except Lynn's.

daron

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 12:42:15 PM »
Yeah, I hope the ribbon can be turned off too. I also like that the layer menu is now a palette. That could've come sooner. P.S. I'm glad the dashboard is gone. I never could get used to that.

Sorry Kate, this is not a response to you, but to Mark's and previous.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 12:54:57 PM »
I've read over the preview guide for the past few weeks...

Are you in the beta program?

Yes, but unfortunately I did not get time to download and try most of the stuff out, which is why I resorted to the preview guide.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 12:55:44 PM »
oh, it's MENUBAR as rkmcswain's nice collection states.

Well actually he said ..

Ok, where are the pull-down menus? Do you see that Big Red "A" in the upper left corner? Click on that to expose the Menu Browser. This is sort of like the Windows Start Menu, except it's in the upper left hand corner. Judge for yourself, if you want the old style pull-down menus, set MENUBAR to 1.

Does that just put the menus at the top of the window or does it turn off the "Ribbon" thing?

ah... hmph... good question.  I guess I may have been a little presumptuous.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 12:57:27 PM »
Yeah, I hope the ribbon can be turned off too. I also like that the layer menu is now a palette. That could've come sooner. P.S. I'm glad the dashboard is gone. I never could get used to that.

Yea, I'm a big fan of the Layer Manager being a Palette.  I was just starting to get used to the Dashboard, though, because doing visualization stuff like materials and lighting is loads easier using the dashboard... especially for lighting.  I just can't fathom why they would make such a major addition/modification and then *poof* oh well, it's gone now.  We need software that is stable, that we can be USED to, that we can form long-lasting habits with, that we can remain EFFICIENT with... *sigh*

Kate M

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 01:00:46 PM »
From the looks of it, a lot of stuff made it into LT too. 8-)

The LT guide says it can grip-edit xclips, but no mention of whether it can *create* them...

Woo hoo! We can attach images now!! And create non-rectangular viewports!!

True Color & color book support is there, but that doesn't mean so much to me.

And we get fields...sweet.

I've been using the "Steering Wheels" for a long time with Design Review, and haven't been that impressed. We'll see how it works here.

Kate M

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2008, 01:02:03 PM »

Yea, I'm a big fan of the Layer Manager being a Palette.  I was just starting to get used to the Dashboard, though, because doing visualization stuff like materials and lighting is loads easier using the dashboard... especially for lighting.  I just can't fathom why they would make such a major addition/modification and then *poof* oh well, it's gone now.  We need software that is stable, that we can be USED to, that we can form long-lasting habits with, that we can remain EFFICIENT with... *sigh*

From the guide:
"You can also emulate Dashboard behavior by undocking the Ribbon and anchoring it to the left or right."

So it's not gone, just renamed & changed.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2008, 01:10:05 PM »

From the guide:
"You can also emulate Dashboard behavior by undocking the Ribbon and anchoring it to the left or right."

I'll have to see how much I can customize the Ribbon though before I accept it.  I'm starting to see what I see so many before me complain about... about how they just get their company set up on routine, habitual, consistent behavior... and now there's a huge flippin' wrench thrown in.  I shudder to think of the complaining and whining I'm going to have to put up with from all the users.  I haven't even been able to get them to update to 2008, all of them, yet.

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2008, 01:14:40 PM »
Quote from: Mark Thomas

MENUBAR is a 0/1 toggle that shows the standard old menubar along the top.
RIBBON and RIBBONCLOSE control whether the ribbon is visible.

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2008, 01:16:25 PM »
Quote from: Kate M
Is Google reader slow, or is it just me? I don't have any of those posts yet except Lynn's.

I frequently don't see my own posts show up in GR for an hour or so after they are posted.
Not sure who to blame...?

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2008, 01:17:29 PM »
Quote from: Mark Thomas

MENUBAR is a 0/1 toggle that shows the standard old menubar along the top.
RIBBON and RIBBONCLOSE control whether the ribbon is visible.

Thanks! I really don't know why I'm so worried about it, it'll be a couple of years before I get to use it anyway.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2008, 01:18:40 PM »
Quote from: Kate M

True, type in DASHBOARD and you get RIBBON

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2008, 01:24:19 PM »
The Ribbon can be turned off with RibbonClose. There are also 3 different sizes that you can have it display. The first is that which is shown in the blogs. The next is just the Headers & Sub-Headers being shown, no icons, hovering over the subheader displays the icons. The third is just the Headers and requires a mouse click to show the subheaders with their icons.

It can also be used in conjunction with the standard menu and/or toolbars.