Author Topic: Mvblocks & Attributes  (Read 17848 times)

Mvblocks & Attributes
« on: January 28, 2008, 03:08:06 PM »
I've got an architect's background and the room names/numbers are mvblocks.  First, let me start off by saying that I know little to nothing about mvblocks (other than the fact that they can have multiple views).  Anywho... I need to extract the room names and room numbers - it doesn't matter HOW it gets done, I just need to be able to do it.  Can I create a schedule of the mvblocks and filter out what I want to see?  I've tried using EATTEXT and that didn't give me what I needed.  Any advice/feedback/suggestions are welcome!

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
Re: Mvblocks & Attributes
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 03:27:06 PM »
from what I remember, mvblocks only work inside ADT.  But that is 5 years ago, maybe they will work
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 03:32:57 PM »
from what I remember, mvblocks only work inside ADT.  But that is 5 years ago, maybe they will work
I'm running MEP '08 and I've got an ADT background that has mvblocks as the room name tags.  I just want a quick list of the room names and their numbers.  I've found something in the scheduling, but I'm not sure I know what I'm doing!!  :?

FengK

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 03:55:38 PM »
Don't have MEP or ADT. Does MVBlock support GetAttributes method? Can you post a sample drawing?

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 04:07:34 PM »
Matt,
Ae you getting the "data extraction" wizard when you use EATTEXT?  See image.

If you are, could post a couple of their blocks in a test file.  I want to check something.  I have never extracted MV blocks, But I think they are available.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 04:07:47 PM »
mvblocks are just differant blocks grouped together (at least they are here)  If you explode it once it will give you the given block for the current view then you should be able to get the info that you need. Or refedit the bock to get the chid block name then just write something from there>

HTH
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 04:13:12 PM »
mvblocks are just differant blocks grouped together (at least they are here)  If you explode it once it will give you the given block for the current view then you should be able to get the info that you need. Or refedit the bock to get the child block name then just write something from there>

HTH

This is what I was thinking.  The child blocks names should show up in plain ole insert block dialog.  look there and then check to see if they show up in the above wizard I mention. 

Is this the same Archie that have 67 xref clips? 
Why is the purpose of making Room Tags multi-view blocks?   :ugly: IMO

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 04:33:26 PM »
mvblocks are just differant blocks grouped together (at least they are here)  If you explode it once it will give you the given block for the current view then you should be able to get the info that you need. Or refedit the bock to get the child block name then just write something from there>

HTH

This is what I was thinking.  The child blocks names should show up in plain ole insert block dialog.  look there and then check to see if they show up in the above wizard I mention. 

Is this the same Archie that have 67 xref clips? 
Why is the purpose of making Room Tags multi-view blocks?   :ugly: IMO

Not the same flunkie, errr, um Architect.

It looks like they've got the room name data attached to other information using property set defs for room finishes, costs, blah blah blah blah...

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 04:33:59 PM »
Matt,
Ae you getting the "data extraction" wizard when you use EATTEXT?  See image.

If you are, could post a couple of their blocks in a test file.  I want to check something.  I have never extracted MV blocks, But I think they are available.
I tried that but it's not listing the attribute values of the blocks - just a bunch of other garbage!

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 04:34:29 PM »
mvblocks are just differant blocks grouped together (at least they are here)  If you explode it once it will give you the given block for the current view then you should be able to get the info that you need. Or refedit the bock to get the chid block name then just write something from there>

HTH

I think I'm gonna have to roll my own for this one!   :mrgreen:

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 04:50:48 PM »
Not the same flunkie, errr, um Architect.
  Glad we could help  :-D

It looks like they've got the room name data attached to other information using property set defs for room finishes, costs, blah blah blah blah...
There is a way to table the prop-set data (don't start me to lying on how) then export that out.   :| :| 

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 09:02:44 AM »
Don't have MEP or ADT. Does MVBlock support GetAttributes method? Can you post a sample drawing?

Here you go!

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 09:12:45 AM »

Here you go!

You'll have to save it down to 04.  We can't all be so fortunate  :roll:
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 09:19:51 AM »

Here you go!

<sigh of disgust>   :wink:    Be right back!

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 09:20:43 AM »

Here you go!

Here you go (again)!