Author Topic: AutoCad Mech vs. AutoCad Arch (2009)  (Read 8775 times)

deegeecees

AutoCad Mech vs. AutoCad Arch (2009)
« on: July 24, 2008, 11:27:55 AM »
What to do. I'm on the fence about purchasing one of these two. I can get ADT for the same price as Vanilla, just wondering if I should. We create tactical training facilities, much like residential housing, only we don't use the traditional building materials etc., we create them out of steel. Which of these two would be best suited (in your opinion) for this kind of application?

Any info is appreciated.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: AutoCad Mech vs. AutoCad Arch (2009)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 11:50:13 AM »
My initial thought would be to use ADT. I've seen a few of the building you do, and their modularity would seem to make them well suited for the world of ADT and reusable constructs.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

deegeecees

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 12:03:06 PM »
We also use quite a bit of steel members/shapes for putting those together. I have some custom routines for dealing with these. I guess I could incorporate that into the ADT module, and have quite a robust interface for modelling these up (thinking out loud here). I just wanted to throw the question out there to see if I was thinking in the right direction. It would seem that I am. Thanks for the feedback Mr Farrell.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 12:42:30 PM »
What with the Lofting in acad, and other tricks in ADT one can make railings pose as ladders, etc...
I don't see that Mechanical gives you much leverage over ADT.  And I'm pretty sure ADT handles beams fairly well now.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

deegeecees

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 01:08:14 PM »
Good to know. Looking forward to digging in to ADT. I had a brief stint with MDT back in 2004, but I never got the chance to use it's full funtionality, basically it was glorified vanilla as the person who was there before me had never set anything up, and I was only there for a short time, but I liked what I saw. Now that I'm the intial startup for this release, I can (hopefully) do things correctly.

tonyc

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 09:37:27 AM »

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 10:10:39 AM »
What to do. I'm on the fence about purchasing one of these two. I can get ADT for the same price as Vanilla, just wondering if I should. We create tactical training facilities, much like residential housing, only we don't use the traditional building materials etc., we create them out of steel. Which of these two would be best suited (in your opinion) for this kind of application?

Any info is appreciated.

By MECH do you mean MEP?

MEP is built on top of Architecture so you get two-for-the-price-of-one-and-a-half.  I think it's like $5,000 or so.  And I think Architecture comes with all of the latest steel members.  If not, I could hook you up.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

jnieman

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 10:12:57 AM »
My hobby:

Reading CAD and Engineering forums quietly out loud, but pretending all acronyms are real words.

Sometimes y'all sound like a combo between the Count and those aliens from Sesame Street.

deegeecees

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 10:29:57 AM »
Sadly, we (AFTS & AWOW) decided to go with Vanilla AutoCad 2009. I'll be purchasing ADT for myself (DGCS) sometime in the near future. As far as getting ADT for the price of vanilla, that was a boldface lie from the reseller.

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 10:32:49 AM »
Sadly, we (AFTS & AWOW) decided to go with Vanilla AutoCad 2009. I'll be purchasing ADT for myself (DGCS) sometime in the near future. As far as getting ADT for the price of vanilla, that was a boldface lie from the reseller.

Well, duh!  :roll:
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

deegeecees

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 10:34:22 AM »
I'm so gullible.