Author Topic: Inserting a Table as a block  (Read 3870 times)

CECE_CAD

Inserting a Table as a block
« on: January 15, 2008, 11:55:43 AM »
I created a table that all of my users are going to be using.  I want to be able to insert it from a pulldown or window.  When the table gets inserted to the drawing all the text inside the table gets supper tiny..?  The table is not keeping the format that I created.  Is there something that has to be set before inserting the table? 

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
Re: Inserting a Table as a block
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 11:59:32 AM »
Did you use a special style of table?  Or did you keep it called Standard?  This may/not be the answer, but it is the first thing that came into my mind.
Tim

I don't want to ' end-up ', I want to ' become '. - Me

Please think about donating if this post helped you.

CECE_CAD

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 01:23:41 PM »
I did use the standard style but I had changed the text height to 9".  then I tried changing the style name and that didn't work.

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 01:34:46 PM »
Try creating a simple one, named something besides standard, and then insert that into the current drawing.  You should get what you want, unless that style is named within the current drawing.
Tim

CECE_CAD

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 01:39:06 PM »
The table should keep the style that was created and bring it into the sheet its inserted into correct?

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 01:41:27 PM »
The table should keep the style that was created and bring it into the sheet its inserted into correct?
Only if it isn't defined within the drawing you are inserting it into.
Tim

CECE_CAD

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 05:27:25 PM »
Ok, the reason it wasn't working is because the block needs to be exploded on insertion.  Then you have to select the table style for it after.  I'm going to try to put a lisp together that will explode the block on insertion and change the style.  Just not show how to do the changing style part yet..

CECE_CAD

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 09:39:16 AM »
Just wondering can you help me with setting the table style?  I want the block to come in and be set with my table style with out the user having to select it.. Could you help me out with this please?

CECE_CAD

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 11:30:50 AM »
Only if it isn't defined within the drawing you are inserting it into.

T,

What I ‘m trying to do is take our old attributed tables and start using acad tables.  The attribute tables were created along time ago.  They don’t collect any info from the drawings or anything.  The tables were created because people didn’t want to keep creating the same table over and over and they were editable.  I can’t stand the tables because it’s a pain when the tables need to be edited with new rows and columns. 

All I have done is created a table that would be easy to update when needed to replace the attribute blocks.  The thing is we have other attributes as add-on’s for the tables.  So I still have more to work on. 

Would there be an easier way of doing this?  Like creating a lisp that just created the table when needed?  I’m not really sure because I’m not that familiar with tables.  If you have any suggestions please let me know. 

Thanks for your help!

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 11:48:48 AM »
If that is the case, then I would do it all in code.  I would see if my table style is in the drawing, and if it is set it to the current table style, if not then create the style with code.  Then create the table based off the values of the attributes within the block the user selects.
Tim

CECE_CAD

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 01:16:11 PM »
If that is the case, then I would do it all in code.  I would see if my table style is in the drawing, and if it is set it to the current table style, if not then create the style with code.  Then create the table based off the values of the attributes within the block the user selects.

Umm.. yeah, that would be awesome if I knew how to do that.. Looks like I get to learn something new.  Umm.. just wondering, how do I start that?  It sounds like a really good idea.

CECE_CAD

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 01:22:49 PM »
Sorry if this makes me look a little illiterate to tables, but I really have not used them. Also to be clear because I’m not sure if I understand.  I have an attribute table that my users edit and put together with other little rows and columns that are attributed blocks. 
I should create a lisp that will pull the info from them to create a acad table?

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 01:41:02 PM »
I would search here to see what people have done.  I know Jeff M. has some code floating around here that creates a table style, and then inserts the table.

Are you saying that the existing table-looking object is a bunch of blocks with one attribute each?  If so, then I would sort them by highest Y value, and lowest X value, so that you can place them in your new table in the correct values.

I'm just learning about tables also, as you can see by the topic I started about them.   :-)
Tim

CECE_CAD

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 02:07:50 PM »
I have attached the table that we currently use.  I can't stand using them, but this is what I want to turn into a acad table.

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 02:23:15 PM »
That seems like it could easily be turned into a table.

I'm not sure how easy it is to add columns to an existing table though, so that may be a problem unless you just recreate one when you want one with more columns.
Tim

CECE_CAD

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 03:21:03 PM »
T,

Do you think I should put another post about looking for help with creating a table with a lisp or change the subject title of this post? 

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 03:43:12 PM »
T,

Do you think I should put another post about looking for help with creating a table with a lisp or change the subject title of this post? 

I would search here first.  See what I can find, and find out what I can/cannot do.  Once I find something I cannot do, then I would start a new thread, as it might get lost in this one.
Tim