Author Topic: New Job Setup - Copy files plus use template  (Read 13055 times)

Josh Nieman

Re: New Job Setup - Copy files plus use template
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 10:47:05 AM »
That's awesome.  How well was this received by your bosses and users? 
Our document generation process is (or was) similar to yours.  You have given me a improvement idea that was not even on my radar screen for the future. 

Everyone is excited about it.  Even the boss who's generally unimpressed and thinks 'less' of CAD skills and such, raised his eyebrows and gave some enthusiastic comments.  The head boss actually went around to a couple other guys and asked "Hey, did Josh come set up that new job deal on your computer yet?  Ain't that freakin' awesome?"

I'm excited because, like I said... finally templates are 100% under my control and everyone is excited to be using this tool I created, thus making everyone create from the same templates.  There's one boss/user who I set up his main clients to be so automated that he won't be using it... but those jobs are a bit of an anomaly that is so cookie-cutter and specialized that it would hurt them to use this thing.

Glad you could get something from the convo, too, Krush.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 10:50:07 AM »
Another one hooked: Welcome to Hotel Automation, you can checkout any time you like but you can never leave.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2008, 10:52:03 AM »
I'm excited because, like I said... finally templates are 100% under my control and everyone is excited to be using this tool I created, thus making everyone create from the same templates.

Great...Here we go.... trying to steal my thunder!  Good thing I stopped by!    :wink:

Josh Nieman

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 11:12:26 AM »
I'm excited because, like I said... finally templates are 100% under my control and everyone is excited to be using this tool I created, thus making everyone create from the same templates.

Great...Here we go.... trying to steal my thunder!  Good thing I stopped by!    :wink:

haha oh snap, I'm sorry.  Typing without thinking.

I actually told them where I got it.  They know I visit a couple CAD forums for this type of stuff, for peer-support and the like.  I put it this way... "Everyone in this BUILDING, let alone this company, comes to me when they're stuck on a CAD problem... who the heck do _I_ go to when _I_ have a problem?!" and they laughed and agreed.  A couple of the engineers visit an engineering-specific board from time to time, though, so they understand first-hand the value of peer-support.

I should have said "Implemented" rather than created, which is what I was thinking, anyways.  Sorry about that.  I'm excited to get all my templates done, title blocks tweaked, and everything set up so I can dig in and modify the basics of the file and get me started at editting/modifying VBA code... I can't wait until I think of a function I may want to add/modify and look up how to do so and learn.

Heck, maybe one day I'll be able to roll a basic tool for someone else on here and pass on the love!

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 11:23:31 AM »
okay someone get a Josh a box of tissues.  If he keeps up with this blubbery stuff, he is gonna need them.  :wink:
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

deegeecees

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »
I got a warm, fuzzy feeling...

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2008, 03:42:37 PM »
Here's what the final product looks like - short but sweet.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2008, 04:15:42 PM »
fyi, I mapped a macro that runs this routine to the "sheet set manager" button on the "STANDARD" toolbar via each users CUI.  I also changed, under the "File" menu, the "New Sheet Set" to "New Job" and tied the same macro there.

We don't use sheet sets, nor will we (already tried it on one job) and the 'sheet set' buttons/menu-picks were taking up some primo real estate that is where a "new" button would logically go... so... blammo.

The macro being a simple:
-vbarun;"CASE Inc Project Setup.dvb!modMain.Main"

Josh Nieman

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2008, 09:58:50 AM »
Dang!

VB is awesome!

I've got back to working on some standard templates, fixing/updating the ones I was about to roll out, and adding others... I looked at Matt's program for about 5 minutes, figured out the navigation of the VBAMANager, understood what was going on...

In about 15 minutes total, I was able to add another checkbox to the dialog, add another template sheet, re-organize the order of the sheets, and got it to work on the first try.

This is easy to modify/hack/update at least.

Now I just gotta get me a good resource or list of common strings to help me write my own stuff, when necessary.  I love how easy it is to add functions to the interface... I mean... you click "checkbox" and then place the checkbox on the grid... then edit the properties for the name, function callout, colors and all that good stuff..  yahoo!

Although there's still things VLSP is more efficient at from what I've read and seen... VBA rocks the socks off of VLSP in general. 

Below is the very modest change... but it means a lot to me! lol.... oh man I'm so easily amused :(

Josh Nieman

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2008, 10:08:12 AM »
I think my first challenge is to add an option to skip job folder creation, and create subfolders in a specified folder you can browse to... sometimes the engineers create the job folder as a place-holder, and leaves it empty until they get more info or a purchase order or something.  So I guess I'd just modify step one to add an either/or ability.  Browse to existing folder and create there... or create folder (what Matt has in there already)

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2008, 10:39:27 AM »
VBA rocks the socks off of VLSP in general.

And pliers blow away screw drivers.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Josh Nieman

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2008, 10:58:48 AM »
VBA rocks the socks off of VLSP in general.

And pliers blow away screw drivers.

ok sorry... just read everything I said as in relation to "for what I'm using it for".

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 08:26:58 AM »
Dang!

VB is awesome!

I've got back to working on some standard templates, fixing/updating the ones I was about to roll out, and adding others... I looked at Matt's program for about 5 minutes, figured out the navigation of the VBAMANager, understood what was going on...

In about 15 minutes total, I was able to add another checkbox to the dialog, add another template sheet, re-organize the order of the sheets, and got it to work on the first try.

This is easy to modify/hack/update at least.

Now I just gotta get me a good resource or list of common strings to help me write my own stuff, when necessary.  I love how easy it is to add functions to the interface... I mean... you click "checkbox" and then place the checkbox on the grid... then edit the properties for the name, function callout, colors and all that good stuff..  yahoo!

Although there's still things VLSP is more efficient at from what I've read and seen... VBA rocks the socks off of VLSP in general. 

Below is the very modest change... but it means a lot to me! lol.... oh man I'm so easily amused :(

Did you remember to change the TAB ORDER of the controls so when you press the TAB button they jump to the next one in some sort of logical order??   :roll:

Josh Nieman

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2008, 08:45:29 AM »
I did not, yet, but I had come across the entry for that in the help file while I was referncing the OptionButton thing.  I made a note to add that in before I release it.

Awesome help file... I just wish I knew WHAT to have to search for, first..  I'm skimming through the terminology and stuff on lunch today and going to see if I can wrap it up today.