Author Topic: New Job Setup - Copy files plus use template  (Read 13049 times)

Josh Nieman

New Job Setup - Copy files plus use template
« on: January 10, 2008, 06:15:10 PM »
Ok I'm in a bit of a conundrum here.

I'm trying to revamp our template structure because some genius hosed my previous setup.  I knew it wasn't foolproof or secure as it should be, but I didn't think we had people here THAT foolish.

Anyways, the whole template folder seemingly just "disappeared" and apparently no one had used it or set up a new job using it for over a week when we discovered this fact, because none of the backups had that folder on it either, and our backups only went back a week.  They had just reformatted the one the monthly one (we keep the one from the last day of the month until the last day of the next month... our backup system is slightly flawed too, I think but that's another day)

Anyways.  There are three files I wish to be in every new job folder.

T-01.dwg (title sheet.  can be made from template or copied..  Self contained drawing, no xrefs, completely independent of anything)
X-TB.dwg (title block that gets xref'd into other drawings.  Contains job specific information.)
A-01.dwg (empty beginning drawing.. hoping I can make this into a .dwt.  Has X-TB.dwg xref'd into paperspace layout.)

Ok, so before now, we've just copied all three of these files to the new job folder and started editing them from there... copying A-01.dwg as many times as needed for further files, deleting the unnecessary, and drawing more.  Obviously a quite rudimentary process... worked well though, and got us by.

I'm wanting to make this a little more fail safe and make the process a little smoother.  I want to be able to just hit 'new drawing' in Autocad and use a .DWT that I set up (which would be A-01.dwg saved as a .dwt) but my problem is the initial job setup.  I have to have a unique X-TB.dwg for each job, because it contains job specific information.  So I can't just have the xref in the template file point to the xref in the template folder, because then we'd have a tb-sharing-nightmare.

How can I automate the creation of a new job folder so that I can set things up nicely?

1)  New job folder will contain X-TB.dwg
2)  New job folder will contain T-01.dwg
3)  A-01.dwt will be in template folder on server so users can hit 'new' and use that template for every new drawing.
4)  Not resort to users copying drawing from a template folder, because that means the templates can get hosed by anyone.

Bonus Question:  Can I have a folder on the server that only _I_ can access, but still have other users use files from it remotely?  To clarify:  Can I have a drawing in a restricted folder that the user does not have rights to access, and have a tool palette access the blocks within those drawings?  I want to start implementing parts of the block library I've been working on and of -all- things, that's the last thing I want someone being able to hose.

Any ideas/help/experience?

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
Re: New Job Setup - Copy files plus use template
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 07:13:51 PM »
Now I am just talking out my ......; that being said I think you want a button that will do all the work.  Like CADaver states make it so easy for the users, that they are not going to want to going looking. (speaking of the dead guy where is he?  I am actually missing his banter).  YOU would have to have your X-TB unique for that project so that if someone goes borrowing from another job (and it will happen) it wont screw up the pathing.  Then your A-01 would reference that project X-TB.  IF your project paths were structured in a way you pull a piece info (like a job#) and feed that to the renaming of the X-TB.  So a new project starts, your user fires up autocad and hit this Create-New-Project button and it will just ask the user New Project's location on the server and project number (if the project root folder has not been already created).  Then it creates all your sub-folders and pulls your files in and renames them appropriately.    I don't know if I would keep hitting the button to create a new A-sheet.  It is easier to copy and paste, and tweak the dwg# if all I am doing is another Details sheet.  Saves the user from going back and editing all the dynamic title text for every new sheet.

Ahh note on the side.  You steel boys should be using S-dwg# not As.  The As are for us prima donas and only us to use.  :-)

This is just me rambling becuase you have a good Idea and I have not if this is the idea is this what you had in mind.  You got me to thinking that this would be cool set up.  It will be interesting to see how the Swamper's with lots of users approach this.

**edit - I need to call it a day**
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 07:25:52 PM by Krushert »
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Josh Nieman

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 07:16:46 PM »
You're pretty much on the right track, and yea, CADaver's mantra is what I'm hoping to accomplish here.  I want to make it really easy so they don't want to do anything different.

BTW, we use C's, A's, and S's ;)  We're just that good :)  We do some design/build stuff and only sub out the electrical and mechanical.  The rest me and the boss do.

I'm going to think about the specifics you said and try to think of a way to incorporate this into a "easy button" dialogue, so to speak...

hendie

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 04:04:21 AM »
Josh, from reading your recent posts, I can't help but think that you seem to have a lot of unnecessary grief which could be solved by using an EDMS
Here's a screenshot of the new file dialog in Adept.

from here I can select a template and create a single, or series of documents, either drawings or any other file type including all MS office documents. Is that the type of thing you are looking for ?

Avanti

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 07:17:22 AM »
Isn't it ironic that some of the best ideas come from this sort of disaster.  I'm eager to see what solution you come up with.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 08:50:02 AM »
Hendie, that seems to be kind of what I'm looking for.  If it does what I think it does.

So long as it can copy a file from one place (or create from template) and create the duplicate in a new place (new job folder) and do that for multiple items.

I'll take a look at Adept.

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 09:14:03 AM »
I rolled my own project setup program for our MEP department.  You have to specify what floors you need, where the project folder is, and what type of drawings you want it to create.  When you click the setup button, it runs through and copies standard DWTs from our network to the project folder, renames them according to what you've selected in the dialog boxes, then attaches all necessary xrefs.  If the files already exist within the project folder, they are NOT overwritten (this is in case some schmuck set things up and then someone else comes along and decides to use the project setup program - just so no work is lost).  It's all done in VBA.  If you're interested, I can help you create something.

The attached PDF has screen shots of the project setup program.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 09:19:03 AM »
I rolled my own project setup program for our MEP department.  You have to specify what floors you need, where the project folder is, and what type of drawings you want it to create.  When you click the setup button, it runs through and copies standard DWTs from our network to the project folder, renames them according to what you've selected in the dialog boxes, then attaches all necessary xrefs.  If the files already exist within the project folder, they are NOT overwritten (this is in case some schmuck set things up and then someone else comes along and decides to use the project setup program - just so no work is lost).  It's all done in VBA.  If you're interested, I can help you create something.

The attached PDF has screen shots of the project setup program.

That.. that sounds exactly like what I'm looking at doing.  We wouldn't need anything as complicated, though.

I would just need something to create the three drawings I mentioned before, (I have the xref already attached in the .dwt) in a specified folder, from the templates.  That would be good.  It'll be the same for every job, really.  I plan on using the block library I'm setting up for the more specific stuff.

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 09:45:21 AM »
Matt, I would love to have a look at your code if you dont mind.  That looks to be really well organized.  I can always use ideas for the future
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

hendie

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 12:30:23 PM »
Hendie, that seems to be kind of what I'm looking for.  If it does what I think it does.

So long as it can copy a file from one place (or create from template) and create the duplicate in a new place (new job folder) and do that for multiple items.

If you have any questions at all, just give me a shout

Josh Nieman

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 01:09:52 PM »

If you have any questions at all, just give me a shout

How about a link to their site?  I keep getting blogs mentioned the EDMS software, or an EDM wire machine that has been termed 'adept' at what it does :P

hendie

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 09:06:20 AM »

Josh Nieman

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 09:41:49 AM »
I thank everyone for your answers and help.  It's great to get user-experienced replies to problems challenges at hand.  Great to see the DIVERSITY of solutions as well.  In the end, I found that MattWs suggestion fit our company and habits the best.  I subscribed to the K.I.S.S. mantra, and like what Krush said about CADaver's statements about Standards... if it isn't easier to adhere to standards than it is to break them, the users will break them. 

I plan on making a button that'll trigger the VBA routine that Matt wrote for me, so generously.

I ended up making a template folder (I got on the server and changed the access so that only I have complete control/access/write/modify-permissions to the folder and contents) to store all files that should never be modified, and Matt's routine copies those template files to a new job folder that the user creates through the routine, adds all subfolders the user selects, and adds all title blocks and/or drawings the user selects.  Perfect fit and suited to our process AWESOMELY.

This is a great long-term solution, and I think it is quite nearly foolproof, so even our newest of users can dive right in after a walk through.

YAHOOOOoooOO!

Endless thanks for the correspondence and awesome routine, Matt!

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 10:15:28 AM »
That's awesome.  How well was this received by your bosses and users? 
Our document generation process is (or was) similar to yours.  You have given me a improvement idea that was not even on my radar screen for the future. 
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 10:18:08 AM »
Awesome Josh; Kudos Matt.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst