Author Topic: Plotting standards  (Read 15196 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Plotting standards
« on: January 09, 2008, 01:04:47 PM »
How do you deal with multiple hardware? How do you setup one title/border that works on many plotters? What about 1/2 size prints?

thanks for any/all input
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
Re: Plotting standards
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 01:08:40 PM »
I just set up my title block in a way i like to call ``the right way''.  ...That's it, that's all there is to it.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 01:14:03 PM »
In theory one has a Named Page Setup for each type of plot device, and or page size required residing in the drawing template.
This is even more true for you Mark with the need to have properly identified named the layout tabs, so that when you use them for your plan production tools that you can easily import the correct plan type and scale.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 01:48:01 PM »
I just set up my title block in a way i like to call ``the right way''.  ...That's it, that's all there is to it.

I thought is was "just that easy" too, until OCE plotters came into the picture. :-)

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 01:50:10 PM »

I thought is was "just that easy" too, until OCE plotters came into the picture. :-)

*lol* fun huh?

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 01:58:55 PM »
In theory one has a Named Page Setup for each type of plot device, and or page size required residing in the drawing template.

For us that would be a lot of page setups. Our big problem at the moment is plotting the same files to different plotters. i.e. HP and OCE, not to mention half sizes. When ever I plot a drawing on this HP or 1/2 size the title border always gets cut-off. It has something to do with the Plot Offset origin not being 0,0. What a pain!

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 01:59:18 PM »
what kind of Oce?  I have a 9300, 9400, and a TDS320 and TDS98something, and a 9800
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 02:47:17 PM »
Mark,

Give this one a try. I have added a few scalable items to the print for checking.

Plot to extents & Center the plot.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Dinosaur

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 03:13:19 PM »
For us that would be a lot of page setups. Our big problem at the moment is plotting the same files to different plotters. i.e. HP and OCE, not to mention half sizes. When ever I plot a drawing on this HP or 1/2 size the title border always gets cut-off. It has something to do with the Plot Offset origin not being 0,0. What a pain!
It shouldn't mean that many setups at all Mark especially if you are consistent with you title block location on your sheet tab and plot the layout.  Your template would have one plotter designated as default, a named page setup for the alternate plotter (full size) and a named half size setup for the plotter designated for those plots.  You may also want a named set up for PDFs or DWFs.  If you have different sheet sizes you are plotting you would need a set for each but these are an easy modification of paper size for each one.  Recent ACAD products have included the option of importing these named setups from another file if your drawing did not have them included in the template.  I am not sure when the ability to import these page setups became available, but the option has been there as long as I have been using the tabs.

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 03:29:28 PM »
Agreed the Oce is a real bear

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 03:43:41 PM »
Your template would have one plotter designated as default...

They do, it's for their OCE which has margins of 0.03. In this office I don't have any problems using any printer/plotter, of course we don't have an OCE here either. :-)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 03:44:18 PM »
what kind of Oce?  I have a 9300, 9400, and a TDS320 and TDS98something, and a 9800

not a clue David, I can find out if it makes a difference.

M-dub

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 03:54:13 PM »
Same here...

A-Mono-Landscape
A-Mono-Portrait
A-Colour-Landscape
A-Colour-Portrait
B-Mono-Landscape
B-Mono-Portrait
B-Colour-Landscape
B-Colour-Portrait
thru to
E-Colour-Portrait and then, PDF's as well

It took a while to set them up, but man, was it ever WELL worth it!

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 03:57:33 PM »
I found it better to make a template using  printers (All the drivers are loaded on the server so it can handle different operating systems) off the server than using a pc3.
However that just won't work on an Oce. For the Oce I needed to put acad 2006 pc3 in a different folder than the 2007 & 2008 and adjust the options in each computer (FILES-> PRINTER SUPPORT PATH ->PRINTER CONFIGURATION SEARCH PATH) to look in the correct folder. Our hp works fine without a pc3 and the printer in the configuration is called by the name of the server\printer  i.e. \\designserver\Hpdj, so instead of plotting through a pc3, it plots directly to the server printer

Dinosaur

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 04:04:45 PM »
Your template would have one plotter designated as default...

They do, it's for their OCE which has margins of 0.03. In this office I don't have any problems using any printer/plotter, of course we don't have an OCE here either. :-)
That shouldn't be a problem for you . . . the origin along with all of the other plotter options can vary between named page setups.  Just ignore the default completely and make a named page setup for your plotter with the origin it needs.  If you plot that page setup, the Oce' origin will not affect your plot.

edit

Bryco is very correct regarding the pc3 files and the need for different folders in the support paths.  We found this desirable if not necessary even before our Oce' arrived.