Author Topic: Little pearls of Wisdom  (Read 13423 times)

andyanderson

Little pearls of Wisdom
« on: August 09, 2004, 09:22:41 PM »
Hello all

When trying to align entities to each other and they're REAL close to being at the same angle, or moving items that are REAL close together I recall a jewel that someone told me a long time ago:

It's WWII over somewhere in a B-24...

Bombardier to Pilot: "Sir, could you make a 1 degree turn to the left?"

Pilot to Baombardier: "What! I can't make a 1 degree turn in this plane." (keep in mind that they only had magnetic compasses at the time)

Bombardier to Pilot: "OK, sir, make a 5 degree turn to the right and then a 6 degree turn to the left."  :)

Consequently, I rotate the hell out of the part the wrong way and then allign it or move the thing WAY out of the way and then move where I want it.

Any other ones out there?

daron

Little pearls of Wisdom
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 07:54:30 AM »
Reference the point to 0??

Andrew H

Little pearls of Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 10:38:39 AM »
I am completely lost and have no idea to what you are asking.

From what I can tell you're wanting to align two objects which are angled? If this is the case then I would copy the desired objects to an empty location on the drawing. Move the object you want to align, using a common point (i.e. an endpoint of both objects) directly over the object with the correct rotation. Start a rotate command on the object with the incorrect rotation angle and pick the common endpoint as the "base point" for the rotate command. Type "R" in the command line to indicate reference. Pick the common endpoint again, then pick a second point on the object with the wrong rotate that will align with the correctly rotated object, then select that corresponding point on the object with the correct rotation.

M-dub

Little pearls of Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 10:41:21 AM »
I'm not sure if he's actually looking for any help with anything at all...I think he's basically saying Think outside the box, There's more than one way to skin a cat...

I dunno...That's what I get from Andy's original post...

Andrew H

Little pearls of Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 10:46:24 AM »
oic, very confusing. I didn't even want to skin a cat and I didn't know I was in a box.

ELOQUINTET

Little pearls of Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 11:04:18 AM »
what's thinking?

Andrew H

Little pearls of Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 11:06:49 AM »
Something that should be avoided at all costs.

ELOQUINTET

Little pearls of Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 11:23:34 AM »
which way did he go which way did he go  :lol:

CADaver

Little pearls of Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2004, 12:14:02 PM »
dataway

pringals

Little pearls of Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2004, 01:35:27 PM »
...A box? ... where can I get one?

Sounds like he is trying to make two lines parallel to one another. Like one is 0 degrees, and the other is 0.000005668. To fix this, type UNITS and max out the precision for your angles to 0.0000000000. Now type LIST and pick line #1. Note the angle. Now list line #2. Are the angles slightly different? If #2 is different than #1, rotate line 2 to the difference of line #2-360 degrees using + or - depending on if you need to rotate it clockwise or counter clock wise.

... confused? ... raise your hand.  :?  :wink:

B

sinc

Little pearls of Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2004, 02:12:47 PM »
Quote from: Andrew H
oic, very confusing. I didn't even want to skin a cat and I didn't know I was in a box.

No, it's the cat that's in the box, except it isn't really either "there" or "not there" until after you look for it...  :D

Most objects have a "Rotation" property.  You can look at the properties of the object at the "correct" rotation, and copy the rotation property (using ctrl-C and ctrl-V) to the properties window of your other object...  (This works well for text objects in particular.)

You can also set SNAPANG by selecting two points, such as the endpoints of a line.  That aligns ORTHO with the line, which is useful in some situations (but more for drawing or moving objects along a specific rotation, rather than rotating an existing object to match).

Andrew H

Little pearls of Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2004, 03:19:29 PM »
If a cat meows in a box and there isn't anyone around, does it still make a sound?

PDJ

Little pearls of Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2004, 05:16:43 PM »
I thought this was gonna be little witicisms like "Don't squat when you've got your spurs on", that type of thing..

andyanderson

Little pearls of Wisdom
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2004, 09:33:02 PM »
Whoa, y'all (a western/southern saying):

I am just trying to inject a little sanity into an otherwise insane pursuit of insanity convoluted in a whole bunch of bedlam and mayhem.  Or something like that.

And I see that someone knows about Schrodinger's 'cat in the box' mind boggler.  It's a quantum physics thing, way over my head but interesting nonetheless - that is if you're in to not into sleeping for a couple of months  :)

Really, I am just trying to get a feel from y'all, colletively, about how you go about finding a little bit of a smiley face when the boss says "it" has to be done in the morning and you know you'll be pulling an all nighter at home and not getting paid for it.

Humor is good.

Andy

Dent Cermak

Little pearls of Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2004, 08:16:30 AM »
He'll soon learn that when anyone asks an inponderable question here that has stumped the sages for eons, 3 people will send in a lisp routine to solve it.  :shock: