Author Topic: X-Ref Techniques ?  (Read 2719 times)

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
X-Ref Techniques ?
« on: August 02, 2004, 06:10:11 PM »
This question is about drawing set up & use of x-references.
The project is a 6 unit condo. All 6 are identical. I will have some sheets
where all 6 units will be shown and 3 will face North & 3 face south. I can use the
xref of one unit but the text and dimensions will be incorrect, upside down.

I usually do single houses where all the disciplines are on there own layer group.
F1_* Floor Plan
F2_* 2nd Flr Pln
F3_* 3rd Fl Pln
E1_* Elect Plan
E2_* Elect Plan
E3_* Elect Plan
M1_* Mech Plan
Fr1_* Framing Plan

Well you get the idea how I usually handle it. I know some people don't like to do
it that way but it works for me.
I guess I could still do that way except for the text & Dims.
Could do the text & dims in the parent drawing in model space on the xrefed unit.
I would have to insert 3 units next to each other & 3 units rotated then dimension
and annotate all on the appropriate layers. I do add text in paper space but it is
usually note in the margins. I don't care to add text in the drawing area because
the chance it or the drawing gets moved.
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
X-Ref Techniques ?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 08:25:59 PM »
interesting... we use to have everything in one dwg... using tabs... but only 1 person can work on the dwgs... so we started braking out the dwgs... like you mentioned above... makes sense and use less layers per each dwg.... makes sense!
Civil3D 2020

daron

X-Ref Techniques ?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 08:27:18 AM »
You could copy all your notes from the upside-down drawing and paste them into the top level drawing and freeze the text and dimension of the xref in question. I know that sucks, but it's the only solution I can think of at the moment. I've dealt with that before and can't remember what I did to overcome it, sorry.

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
X-Ref Techniques ?
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 08:38:04 AM »
Thanks Daron, that sounds doable.
I also thought of creating in my xref with one rotated unit so that I have two to deal with
and use 3 inserted xrefs to get my six but that would cause problems when I
only wanted one. Well maybe not if i used the view port to hide the rotated unit.

I have a Friday dead line & doesn't look like I'll make it. So I'm looking for ways to
cut corners, on my time usage that is.

CAB

t-bear

X-Ref Techniques ?
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 09:13:08 AM »
How about insert the xref once, make copies and arrange as needed, and set each copy to its own layer (unit-1, unit-2, unit-3 etc....) Dim each on its own dim layer (dimunit-1, dimunit-2, dimunit-3....)  you can dim one unit and copy the dims to the other units, changing the layers to match the units.  Then freeze/thaw units and matching layers in respective vports as needed......

McRojo the Irishman

X-Ref Techniques ?
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 01:22:31 PM »
torient will align text (including dims) how you want.  Not sure how it will work with xrefs but might be worth a shot.

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
X-Ref Techniques ?
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 02:59:24 PM »
Thanks for the advice. :)

CAB

Hangman

Well, ...
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 12:35:27 PM »
Just a thought here,  leave your drawings as they are, turn your model space where-ever you need too, to do your work.
then, when it's x-ref'ed into the drawing sheet, put your notes on it so you don't have to fight notes on the base.  Then, in your paperspace, create two windows, the bottom that focuses on the those facing South, and the top window for those facing North (or vice versa).   Then, the window that has everything upside down,  simply twist it.   Works wonders.

We had a large project that was similar (although not quite the scale) to the pentagon.   The entire bldg on the base, as is.   On the drawing sheet, model space, we placed all the notes, relative and aligned to each section of the bldg.   Then in paperspace, we twisted the windows and everything was aligned horizontally even though, in all actuality, it was a pentagon.

Andrew H

X-Ref Techniques ?
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2004, 10:08:10 AM »
I agree with t-bear. I would create one base unit. Xref that into the parent drawings 6 times (3 facing North and 3 facing South). Add dims and text to one of the North units and add dims and text to one of the South units and copy to the others (of course changing layers after you're all done).