Author Topic: Peculiar Boundaries On Surface Paste  (Read 1550 times)

dfarris75

Peculiar Boundaries On Surface Paste
« on: January 03, 2008, 08:52:14 AM »
What causes these peculiar boundaries when I paste two surfaces together? In this case I have a pond (south) and a landfill (north) and when I paste them I have these unusual boundaries in between and end up with holes in the resulting surface. How can I fix this, or rather how can I keep it from happening?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Peculiar Boundaries On Surface Paste
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 09:03:49 AM »
You can send me you data that created both of these surfaces, and I will try another method that I'm working on to bring them together seamlessly for you. 
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

dfarris75

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 09:33:43 AM »
Sent it. I guess I'd have to place some data in between there to fill in missing info or something? Is this just what it does when you paste two surfaces that aren't right next to each other?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 10:15:42 AM »
OK,  something got whacked on the way over, your Ponds lowered surface definitions were hosed.  Either way I saw the issue in your post, and I've help a user over at the Discussion Groups on this same challenge.  Sometimes the Paste operation fails for various reasons. I accept this, and work with it in this manner:

When I need a 'composite surface' the best option is to use the underlying data as the base material for the composite surface definition. In other words I build a NEW surface and incorporate all the items that define the surfaces I might otherwise be tempted to try to paste together.

I suggest that you rename your Mounds Surface, and export it via XML, then change its name back.
Now Import that Mounds Surface impostor, and add to it's definitions the contour data from your two lowered ponds. I toggled off all of the surface smoothing, edge swapping to insure they were not at play, and the end result is as shown.
The other issue is often the pasted data overlaps the destination surface definition in bad ways and creates these same voids.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 10:21:56 AM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

dfarris75

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 10:18:40 AM »
gotcha. thanks Mike. off i go to void the voids.