Author Topic: Rivet for Casework  (Read 3404 times)

It's Alive!

• BricsCAD
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
Rivet for Casework
« on: December 31, 2007, 02:59:12 AM »
Anyone ever use Rivet for drawing Casework?
Would it be possible (in theory) to build a library of parametric casework products,
draw the casework , then extract data for a bill of materials?
Iím just curious, I have never used Rivet before.

Thanks
Daniel

Birdy

Re: Rivet for Casework
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 08:37:32 AM »
I talked to a Revit guru about this a while ago.  His opinion was that while it may be possible, it would probably be much easier to use Inventor (or a similar competitive product.)

quamper

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 09:51:07 AM »
I talked to a Revit guru about this a while ago.  His opinion was that while it may be possible, it would probably be much easier to use Inventor (or a similar competitive product.)

I don't use either, however I would think from demoing both that inventor would be harder. Specifically if if your drawing rooms of casework I just don't see that as viable. For individual millwork pieces (like display cabinets, furniture) would probably be great, but runs of standard AWI or WIC casework I just don't see it.

Though I'd love to know otherwise. Pretty much the standard out there is either Cabinet Vision or Microvellum. Or roll your own using the Autocad API.

Dilbert

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 12:48:25 PM »
Sure you could do it * .

I say that with an "*" attached because there is a variable involved you should know about, correct representation of the product. In other words, drawing the casework in Revit can be done but getting VERY detailed (ornate detail, etc) would likely be difficult/overkill in this sort of parametric enviornment.  But could you have a parametric family (general representation, accurate size, etc) that can be scheduled and have keyed hardware schedules, etc to ultimately generate cost? Sure. Are there other products that could do cabinet layout better or equal???  That's pretty likely, I wouldn't call Inventor for that unless you wanted to design the cabinets in full detail in the program (something I wouldn't recommend Revit for).

It's Alive!

• BricsCAD
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 07:28:43 AM »
Thanks for the replies, This Question was asked over at Woodweb and it got my curiosity.
Everyone is always searching for ultimate casework program, it seems that is still yet to be written.  :-)

quamper

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 08:20:32 AM »
it seems that is still yet to be written.  :-)

Or just isn't for sale!

So many people have so many different requirements so it's difficult to say X package is the best for everyone when it comes to Millwork/Casework. Obviously if Autocad had stronger parametric abilities (dynamic blocks just aren't powerful enough on their own) that would be a definite step in the right direction, but there's nothing that prevents you from creating your own program that interfaces with Autocad to do parametric design + cutlist + output g-code.