Author Topic: RootNamespace  (Read 23136 times)

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
RootNamespace
« on: December 26, 2007, 11:11:16 AM »
Warning   1   Load of property 'RootNamespace' failed.  The string for the root namespace must be a valid identifier.   VbMgdAcad3

What does this mean?  I can not find the property referenced, and the .Net dll loads and runs fine. :-(
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
Re: RootNamespace
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 11:41:43 AM »

Hi David,

What Add-In's are you using ? and which IDE ?

Does it display when the IDE opens or at build time ..
.. The message rings a bell, but I can't recall the details.

VbMgdAcad3 ?? is that the Project ?

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 11:47:08 AM »
Im not sure what addins Im using (guess I should know that)  Im using the Acad create a project wizard thingy, but I cant remember where I got it.  Maybe the ARX SDK?

The IDE is VB2005 Express, Im working on some examples from the book that Im trying to convert to C#

It shows up at build time, as a warning, not an error, which is why I think the code still runs.

VbMgdAcad3 is the project name, default name from the wizard.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 11:47:57 AM »
As a test, I created a new project, didn't add a thing, did a build and still generated the error, so I think its coming from the wizard thing

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 11:48:39 AM »
Per MSDN, if you go to project properties, you can clear the RootNamespace entry, but that didn't fix it either.

If you wish to specify an existing namespace in a Namespace statement, such as in the generic list class example, you can set your root namespace to a null value. You do this by choosing Project Properties from the Project menu and then clearing the Root namespace entry so that the box is empty. If you did not do this in the generic list class example, the Visual Basic compiler would take System.Collections.Generic as a new namespace within project Payroll, with the full name of Payroll.System.Collections.Generic.

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 11:53:05 AM »
Also, on a sidenote, why do we set CopyLocal to FALSE for the 2 references acdbmgd and acmgd?  The wizard thing is setting both of those to TRUE.  I remember a year ago or so, you and Glenn helped me get some code to work by setting those to FALSE.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 12:02:20 PM »

That's needed for debugging David, Autocad looks for them in the same folder as ACAD.exe ; having them in the same folder as your DLL causes conflicts .. I'm not sure of the exact mechanics.

ALSO, check that the LoaderLock break is toggled OFF (located Debug -> Exceptions -> Managed Debugging Assistants )
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 12:11:56 PM »
Well LoaderLock was turned on, so I set it to OFF.  What exactly does that do?  I remember a thread about it being a problem. 

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 12:22:25 PM »

Dont know the exact bitwise reason David , except as detailed in the error message :
"Attempting managed execution inside OS Loader lock. Do not attempt to run managed code
inside a DllMain or image initialization function since doing so can cause the application to hang."

ALSO
Check that 'Edit and Continue' is ON
Tools -> Options -> Debugging -> Edit and Continue

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 12:25:16 PM »
P.S.
I'm surprised you're not using the VS2008 Express.
It has the ability to target a specific NET version if needed.

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 12:27:24 PM »
I dont have that option available

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 12:28:30 PM »
I have it loaded for C# but I didn't download it for VB as Im not "planning" on using VB for my code.  Do you think 08 would make a difference for testing the way I am?

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 12:31:11 PM »
[just a suspicion]
David, Are you using the Startup Template that came with the 'book' ?

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2007, 12:35:56 PM »
I have it loaded for C# but I didn't download it for VB as Im not "planning" on using VB for my code.  Do you think 08 would make a difference for testing the way I am?

Probably not, since you're just using it as a glorified texteditor for the vb samples. I recall someone saying all the code samples were snippets you add to the solution, is that correct?

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 12:41:34 PM »
[just a suspicion]
David, Are you using the Startup Template that came with the 'book' ?

quite possibly Im not sure.  Now that I think about it, I think I am