Author Topic: Revit use in a Charrette  (Read 2340 times)

RFRusso

Revit use in a Charrette
« on: December 20, 2007, 09:03:27 PM »
I have been elected to be be the first in our office to use Revit in a design charrette. Has any one here used Revit in a design charrette? Any pointers?

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
Re: Revit use in a Charrette
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 09:13:56 PM »
Forgive me, I don't know what a charrette is, so I looked it up at answers.com. It says "a final, intensive effort to finish a project (usu. architectural) before a deadline". If this is close to being a proper definition I would say "Don't do it!". In my opinion it is never a good idea to switch versions, let alone products in the middle, or at the eleventh hour of project execution (perhaps a poor choice of words).

If I worked for a company that wanted me to head up an initiative to implement a new CADD package I would do so on a small but representative, controlled, throw away project, or a small project that can afford to go over budget, afford to fail etc. Plan for the best but expect the worst; have contingencies for the latter.

Of course, maybe I'm completely off in my understanding of charrette, and if so, please ignore the preceding blather.

:)
Engineering Technologist CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.com http://cadanalyst.slack.com http://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Dilbert

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 09:28:56 AM »
A Charrette is more of a design proposal that is refined by a group of individuals. In architecture school its very likely you had many of these where you had your presentation boards in front of the class, then you would describe your concept/ideas and your instructors would critique your work. The difference with a Charette is that it's more give and take and typically it's not used as a "final review" but as a tool to refine your design ideas/concepts.

To use Revit to do this is an interesting concept.  Revit is great for seeing your ideas develop, but for a Charette you'll need to be careful to not over-model and you'll be required to think more big picture. In other words: How do you wish to utilize Revit?  Floor Plans are obvious, but items like Interior Perspectives, Elevations, etc will be tempting to include as well (and likely expected). You'll need to decide early on your layout and exactly what you wish to achieve when using Revit for this task. In the end, Revit is a wonderful tool for this process, but you'll need to be careful to not spend too much time modelling items that may be revised, etc during the Charette process.  Revit is a tool great for design refinement which is in many ways the real point of a Charette. BUT (in my opinion) it's better for design refinement after you've really developed your concepts and are working more in terms of space/relationship planning instead of the intial design "sketch" stage.

Atook

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 02:29:32 PM »
I've not used it, but I've recently had two interviewees use it in an interview for a project.

I'd recommend showing a couple of the most likely configurations from different angles, then hand out paper plan views for people to mark up. You're probably not going to be making changes to the design in revvit during the charrete, just getting input. Once the charette is done you can make the changes and send some renderings around to the parties involved.

Hope that helps.